7900 xtx now or wait ?

Tadziunia

Hello guys, been undecided for quite some time. My 3080 recently died and i was lucky enough that i got refund since no 3080 is produced anymore. Been using it for 3 years, and ive had 4090 last year in april while still having 3080. But 4090 was returned since it had faulty heatsink on suprim x model. However i decided not to buy 4090 again and kept 3080. Now 4090 is out of the question cheapest in my country is 2300eur. This is really bad value for card which aint that much faster than second best cards which are much much cheaper. I want to try 7900 xtx since ive always been ngreedias slave. However question is should i just take it now or wait ? Currently in my country cheapest one is asrock phantom gaming oc for 1040eur, however this is not model i want, i want white taichi card, but it's out of stock with no date when it comes and last price was 1130eur,or i could get black taichi card for 1080eur, and there is also nitro plus which seems to be best 7900 xtx after asrock aqua with extreme bios, but price is 1217eur, after 4080 super launch which cost around same money, AMD's cards havent moved down in price yet, few days ago nitro plus was 1250eur now it's 1217eur, but the thing is it might not drop for unknown time period time, because logic is simple supplier won't sell cards at loss, they will hold prices for as long as possible untill all is sold and only then they will get fresh batch cheaper. So hence the question should i just buy it for price it has now even though it's currently worse value compared to 4080 super, and i really not getting 4080 super because i am tired of nvidia. Which would be best decision? I have cheaply grabbed rtx 2080 seahawk last summer for 180eur as a backup card which serving me well now even though 8gb of vram causing to set textures to low in call of duty and similarly demanding vram games, So it's not as if i don't have anything. But my money is in deposit vault in that retail shop from 3080 refund so it's a must to buy something from them. For a contrast RTX 4070 TI cheapest is 862eur and cheapest 4070 ti super is 937eur here. What would be best steps in my position now ? money ain't problem, however spending money properly is.

Not sure of your reasoning, you seems to buy/swaps GPU like underpants but still hesitating 😛 

Well prices are prices, noone knows the future, so if you've the money ask yourself what do you *need* :

Maxxxx everything with the 4090

Top tier but <1300EUR get a 4080S if you want RT/DLSS, else a 7900XTX

If you can do with a bit less performance or more value/eur then a 4070TiS or 7900XT

Even a 7800XT is quite decent then wait for next gen

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

3 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Not sure of your reasoning, you seems to buy/swaps GPU like underpants but still hesitating 😛 

Well prices are prices, noone knows the future, so if you've the money ask yourself what do you *need* :

Maxxxx everything with the 4090

Top tier but <1300EUR get a 4080S if you want RT/DLSS, else a 7900XTX

If you can do with a bit less performance or more value/eur then a 4070TiS or 7900XT

Even a 7800XT is quite decent then wait for next gen

Didn't know that using gpu for atleast 3 years means swapping as frequent as changing underpants 😄 I wouldn't upgrade as frequent but, nvidia always forces it, always gimping older gpu's artificially blocking features and not supporting it in newer games, Before 3080 i had 1080 Ti ,and in cyberpunk 1080 Ti performed similarly to rtx 2060 and also 10 series doesn't support DLSS and FSR wasn't around at the moment to counter that,so hence my reasoning in upgrading,So back to 3080 story i only got partial refund for it since it's strange gigabyte policy that they are not obligated refunding money, but they only can either fix it or offer similarly performing card, they offered me 4070 which i declined, and got 700eur refund, however i paid 1200eur three years ago, so it's better than nothing and more than i would get in used market. I don't want 7800 xt because its also similarly performing card too my previous one and 4070 Ti depending on game is only about 15-20% faster at best than my previous card for atleast 300eur more if its nicer model. I wish i could wait however as i said my refund is in shops deposit, i have only option to get something else for same money or add extra and buy more powerful card if i don't want 4070 they offered me. 

20 minutes ago, Tadziunia said:

Didn't know that using gpu for atleast 3 years means swapping as frequent as changing underpants 😄 I wouldn't upgrade as frequent but, nvidia always forces it, always gimping older gpu's artificially blocking features and not supporting it in newer games, Before 3080 i had 1080 Ti ,and in cyberpunk 1080 Ti performed similarly to rtx 2060 and also 10 series doesn't support DLSS and FSR wasn't around at the moment to counter that,so hence my reasoning in upgrading,So back to 3080 story i only got partial refund for it since it's strange gigabyte policy that they are not obligated refunding money, but they only can either fix it or offer similarly performing card, they offered me 4070 which i declined, and got 700eur refund, however i paid 1200eur three years ago, so it's better than nothing and more than i would get in used market. I don't want 7800 xt because its also similarly performing card too my previous one and 4070 Ti depending on game is only about 15-20% faster at best than my previous card for atleast 300eur more if its nicer model. I wish i could wait however as i said my refund is in shops deposit, i have only option to get something else for same money or add extra and buy more powerful card if i don't want 4070 they offered me. 

Haha thought you'd done all that GPU swapping recently 😛 

Ok so if you want a noticeable performance increase vs a 3080 and not pay NGreedia tax get a 7900XTX, that's exactly what I did 1 year ago

Get the one you prefer, +/-100 EUR over 1100 isn't that big of a deal

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

28 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Haha thought you'd done all that GPU swapping recently 😛 

Ok so if you want a noticeable performance increase vs a 3080 and not pay NGreedia tax get a 7900XTX, that's exactly what I did 1 year ago

Get the one you prefer, +/-100 EUR over 1100 isn't that big of a deal

But should i wait for a month to see if price will change at all. Because now 4080 super cost around the same to 7900 xtx and in some ways better value pick than amd. Still 7900 xtx will be my choice, but should i pull a trigger now ? or wait just a bit ? Waiting game is killing me, but regrets might come later on. It might not get cheaper or some random mining craze or ai craze will force to increase price.

34 minutes ago, Tadziunia said:

But should i wait for a month to see if price will change at all. Because now 4080 super cost around the same to 7900 xtx and in some ways better value pick than amd. Still 7900 xtx will be my choice, but should i pull a trigger now ? or wait just a bit ? Waiting game is killing me, but regrets might come later on. It might not get cheaper or some random mining craze or ai craze will force to increase price.

Maybe price will go down, maybe not, really noone knows... toss a coin ? 😛 

ATM 4080S is better value than 7900XTX, less than 100EUR more 

Or just scr*w NGreedia and get AMD because (what I did) 🙂 

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

Maybe price will go down, maybe not, really noone knows... toss a coin ? 😛 

ATM 4080S is better value than 7900XTX, less than 100EUR more 

Or just scr*w NGreedia and get AMD because (what I did) 🙂 

I did a mistake 3 years ago, my friends from pc part shop offered me rtx 3080 for 900eur during launch of 30 series and i declined offer waiting for better model, because they only had msi ventus which is cheapest crap possible and those had problems day one, but waiting did no good, mining craze happened and in 2021-01 i bought gigabyte gaming oc 3080 for 1240eur and later on price increased to 2000euros, so waiting did no good at that moment. Is it possible that history would repeat itself. Not sure.. But yeah no more ngreedia support

Just now, Tadziunia said:

I did a mistake 3 years ago, my friends from pc part shop offered me rtx 3080 for 900eur during launch of 30 series and i declined offer waiting for better model, because they only had msi ventus which is cheapest crap possible and those had problems day one, but waiting did no good, mining craze happened and in 2021-01 i bought gigabyte gaming oc 3080 for 1240eur and later on price increased to 2000euros, so waiting did no good at that moment. Is it possible that history would repeat itself. Not sure.. But yeah no more ngreedia support

Looking at news and events probability for a new mining craze is near 0. And crisis work only one way, nothing will make GPU lose half their price over the weekend!

And as 7900XTX and 4080S are on their all time low why do you hesitate then ?

8 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Looking at news and events probability for a new mining craze is near 0. And crisis work only one way, nothing will make GPU lose half their price over the weekend!

And as 7900XTX and 4080S are on their all time low why do you hesitate then ?

Ur probably right, will wait just a bit, maybe untill salary check next week and then i will decide. Still want asrock taichi white edition of the card, but its nowhere to be found, if its not there nitro plus will do