Need help with a quad monitor setup

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if the psu has anything to do with a multi monitor setup, since they're all connected to the gpu, which in turn, the psu.

Ive attached a video above, but whenever i have all 4 monitors connected, my monitors start freaking out. But the moment I unplug the 4th it works perfectly fine.

All of my monitors are connected to my gigabyte windforce gtx960, all of them with hdmi adapters because I didnt have DP cables towards the gpu, and hdmi to dvi adapters towards the monitors

I currently am using a 10 year old FSP raider RA650, is that still usable for this setup?

Since i cant upload the video because its over 20mb, ive attached the video link on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/s/nlKzK42uay

23 minutes ago, Chocobithecat said:

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if the psu has anything to do with a multi monitor setup, since they're all connected to the gpu, which in turn, the psu.

Ive attached a video above, but whenever i have all 4 monitors connected, my monitors start freaking out. But the moment I unplug the 4th it works perfectly fine.

All of my monitors are connected to my gigabyte windforce gtx960, all of them with hdmi adapters because I didnt have DP cables towards the gpu, and hdmi to dvi adapters towards the monitors

I currently am using a 10 year old FSP raider RA650, is that still usable for this setup?

Since i cant upload the video because its over 20mb, ive attached the video link on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/s/nlKzK42uay

So this is just a complete lack of basic understanding how how display cables work. PSU has absolutely nothing to do with the plugs, they are for data+display only not power. More then likely it has to do with either your adapters, or the actual port itself being faulty. Nothing to do with the Powersupply Since display cables are data plus display image only, it narrows down the issue to the Ports, the cables, the adapters, or the monitors themselves.

What monitors are you trying to hook up to that 960?

6 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

So this is just a complete lack of basic understanding how how display cables work. PSU has absolutely nothing to do with the plugs, they are for data+display only not power. More then likely it has to do with either your adapters, or the actual port itself being faulty. Nothing to do with the Powersupply Since display cables are data plus display image only, it narrows down the issue to the Ports, the cables, the adapters, or the monitors themselves.

What monitors are you trying to hook up to that 960?

I dont think you completely understood my question. I was asking if my gpu was drawing too much power from the psu while trying to display 4 1080p samsung S24E450D monitors, causing the issues. 

And no, i dont think the display ports are the problem, because while using 3 monitors, ive tested all cables and ports, all with no problem. Its just as soon as the 4th is plugged in, it has a freakout. This is the case on any port i plug into last.

16 minutes ago, Chocobithecat said:

I dont think you completely understood my question. I was asking if my gpu was drawing too much power from the psu while trying to display 4 1080p samsung S24E450D monitors, causing the issues. 

And no, i dont think the display ports are the problem, because while using 3 monitors, ive tested all cables and ports, all with no problem. Its just as soon as the 4th is plugged in, it has a freakout. This is the case on any port i plug into last.

As a 960 doesnt draw much power to begin with, it really should not be drawing anymore power then it already does. It is not going to exceed its normal rating by plugging more in, its moreso going to effect other things like usage and such, higher end cards to more marginal amounts. It may be put under a load more often, so your minimum power yes will  be raised, but your maximum power draw will not change.

With older cards like 900 series, some ports die and have issues when trying to use all of them with adapters. If you used all native cables and they had issues, it sounds like 3 monitors is the cards limit with those ports. Do you have DVI Adapters ? Ive seen people use 1 HDMI+ 1 DP+2 DVI to get that to work but again its moreso figuring out which ones work the best.

14 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Source?

My 980ti. Brothers 980 ti, Various 980s, 970s had similar issues with specific ports. When trying multi monitors with the HDMI/DP ports and not DVI it would cause issues, but with DVI it didnt nearly have as many issues. While in college on of the other students tried with quad monitors for curiosity sake 3 monitors worked fine, 4th one didnt and ended up killing the port that had previously worked fine. It was a MSI GTX 970.

Can also just look up peoples myriad of issues with the HDMI/DP port dying on the 900 series, wasnt really all that uncommon of an issue.