Looking for affordable dolby atmos setup

FailerCH
Go to solution Solved by cmndr,

Your budget will matter. 

I was thinking of not spending more than 400 CHF so basically 400$ more or less

This is VERY VERY hard to do OK at that price point. It pretty much gets you 2 OKish bookshelf speakers and maybe two side speakers. TWO GOOD bookshelf speakers and not terrible (probably used) sides is probably about the best you can do in that budget and you'd be deal hunting. Most of the sound will come from the two front mains so focus on these. 

The good news is you can add on to things piece meal. You have a decent AVR with room correction (do the full 8ish audysey measurements all within a few inches of where the main listening position is, go center, forward, backwards, left, right, up, down and then 3 evenly spaced positions near the center - the image on the AVR is wrong according to the guy who led audysey much of the last decade[said on a webcast, though I also met him in person]) which will help the speakers match to each other a bit better. 

------

What I'd do on a low budget (you might be able to expand up to this, start with GOOD L+R first and then grow to include the sides and then heights) is this:

1. aim for 8 speakers, 2 decent bookshelf speakers for the front mains, 6 OKish OTHER speakers; 4 go near the ceiling
2. If you have cash for it after, get a subwoofer or two. SVS SB1000 and PB1000 are solid choices. 

If you have a center speaker, it's your most important speaker. If you don't then the L+R front speakers are, Given low budget, using TWO good L+R speakers is in my opinion a better choice since center speakers have their own trade offs (moderately priced ones are usually MTM designs with bad comb filtering that might work WORSE than just 2 good L+R speakers)

Things for mains ($200-300ish): Emotiva B1+, JBL 530, KEF Q150, Polk ES15, ELAC Debut 2.0 B5.2 / 6.2, Wharfedale Diamond 225,
Sides: anything kind of used and cheap
Tops: used klipsch quintent off ebay (you can mount them with relatively inexpensive - you might also be able to use these as part of a 4.X.2 set up)

Mounting for heights - https://www.amazon.com/Jumbl-SINSB7B-ProGrip-Stainless-Speaker/dp/B008J56UH0/

That's about the cheapest you can get a pretty good surround sound set up. The bed layer should be at ear level and pointed at your ears. The top layer should be pointed at your ears.

Positioning guide - https://www.dolby.com/about/support/guide/speaker-setup-guides/5.1.4-overhead-speaker-setup-guide/

I've found that having a shallower angle for the height speakers (as in a bit FURTHER away from you and closer to the front of the room, around 30 degrees in the dolby guide) seems to work a little better in practice and that's actually what was used for a few older standards. 

Hello, I just got a Denon AVRX 4300H gifted to me (funny series of events) and am looking into geting speakers for the room, its a fairly small basement room so I don't need anything powerful but rather good and affordable sound, if possible with having the speakers to the side of the seating position due to the size of the room and the couch being against the back wall.

Any recomendation for good and afordable speakers?

Honest question: Why are you looking Atmos specifically? Are you looking to do a 7.1.4 setup or something similar

Budget?

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

5 hours ago, Skipple said:

Honest question: Why are you looking Atmos specifically? Are you looking to do a 7.1.4 setup or something similar

Budget?

It's mainly that I find it really cool and have the technical ability for it just need good sounding speakers. I was more thinging of 5.1.2

Budget is tbh not really defined but I was thinking of not spending more than 400 CHF so basically 400$ more or less

Your budget will matter. 

I was thinking of not spending more than 400 CHF so basically 400$ more or less

This is VERY VERY hard to do OK at that price point. It pretty much gets you 2 OKish bookshelf speakers and maybe two side speakers. TWO GOOD bookshelf speakers and not terrible (probably used) sides is probably about the best you can do in that budget and you'd be deal hunting. Most of the sound will come from the two front mains so focus on these. 

The good news is you can add on to things piece meal. You have a decent AVR with room correction (do the full 8ish audysey measurements all within a few inches of where the main listening position is, go center, forward, backwards, left, right, up, down and then 3 evenly spaced positions near the center - the image on the AVR is wrong according to the guy who led audysey much of the last decade[said on a webcast, though I also met him in person]) which will help the speakers match to each other a bit better. 

------

What I'd do on a low budget (you might be able to expand up to this, start with GOOD L+R first and then grow to include the sides and then heights) is this:

1. aim for 8 speakers, 2 decent bookshelf speakers for the front mains, 6 OKish OTHER speakers; 4 go near the ceiling
2. If you have cash for it after, get a subwoofer or two. SVS SB1000 and PB1000 are solid choices. 

If you have a center speaker, it's your most important speaker. If you don't then the L+R front speakers are, Given low budget, using TWO good L+R speakers is in my opinion a better choice since center speakers have their own trade offs (moderately priced ones are usually MTM designs with bad comb filtering that might work WORSE than just 2 good L+R speakers)

Things for mains ($200-300ish): Emotiva B1+, JBL 530, KEF Q150, Polk ES15, ELAC Debut 2.0 B5.2 / 6.2, Wharfedale Diamond 225,
Sides: anything kind of used and cheap
Tops: used klipsch quintent off ebay (you can mount them with relatively inexpensive - you might also be able to use these as part of a 4.X.2 set up)

Mounting for heights - https://www.amazon.com/Jumbl-SINSB7B-ProGrip-Stainless-Speaker/dp/B008J56UH0/

That's about the cheapest you can get a pretty good surround sound set up. The bed layer should be at ear level and pointed at your ears. The top layer should be pointed at your ears.

Positioning guide - https://www.dolby.com/about/support/guide/speaker-setup-guides/5.1.4-overhead-speaker-setup-guide/

I've found that having a shallower angle for the height speakers (as in a bit FURTHER away from you and closer to the front of the room, around 30 degrees in the dolby guide) seems to work a little better in practice and that's actually what was used for a few older standards. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800