Need Help Finding A Good Audio Interface And Other Stuff For A Home Music Studio (Am Clueless)

APCNewbie209
Go to solution Solved by Cocococo,

Far as interfaces go (i'm basing this off what musician friends have told me) the go to option in this rough price bracket is a Motu M2, Yamaha apparently makes some decent interfaces but they're not mentioned as much as Motu. For the other peripherals in music production the most important thing is good monitor speakers, bookshelves are usually best for this purpose and frankly the Kali LP6 V2 are some of the best bookshelf speakers i've ever used, plus they aren't well over $1000 usd like most good speakers tend to be, far as headphones go the HD600 are some of the best mixing headphones you can get (if you need to do all your mixing and mastering with headphones then get several different pairs) 

Hi, I'm a new music producer who wants to get into the music industry.  I'm getting myself my first synthesizer later this year.  A beautiful microKorg 2.  But I am clueless on what I'll need to get it hooked up to my PC.

I know about these things called Audio Interfaces.  But I don't know much else and what they actually do.  I am wondering if you guys have suggestions for budget friendly ≈>$300 USD audio interfaces.

I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but it is heavily audio related.  I want to make music from scratch after 6 years of using samples and cheap software, I plan on getting FL Studio soon and I want to take my production to full swing.

Do you guys have any suggestions or audio equipment I should look at getting such as mics, audio interfaces, headphones, etc.

I am already getting a microKorg 2 and a Shure SM7B.  But I need help figuring out what else I'll need for my setup.

(Don't worry, I have a PC that's more than capable of this hobby, ASUS TUF RTX 4090 and an ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 Dark Hero is a wonderful combo with a 14900K)

Far as interfaces go (i'm basing this off what musician friends have told me) the go to option in this rough price bracket is a Motu M2, Yamaha apparently makes some decent interfaces but they're not mentioned as much as Motu. For the other peripherals in music production the most important thing is good monitor speakers, bookshelves are usually best for this purpose and frankly the Kali LP6 V2 are some of the best bookshelf speakers i've ever used, plus they aren't well over $1000 usd like most good speakers tend to be, far as headphones go the HD600 are some of the best mixing headphones you can get (if you need to do all your mixing and mastering with headphones then get several different pairs) 

57 minutes ago, Cocococo said:

I've got too small of a room for big speakers and whatnot.  Its only enough room for a monitor, mid tower, desk, bed, synthesizer in one corner, and that's it.  Don't have desk space for speakers either.  

However I will look into that Motu M2.  It sounds very nice.  I also have some friends in the music business who are letting me look at their stuff and maybe buy it off them.

I also just found out that the MicroKorg 2 is USB C.  So it may transfer audio as well but as far as I know it seems to be for firmware and downloading updates.  But it's too early to know for now.  

Thanks for the suggestions!  I'll look into those.

I already have a pair of Corsair Virtuoso Headphones and some decent wireless Headphones from COWIN but I will need to look into actual studio headphones at some point.  It's unfortunate I don't have space for speakers but good headphones will be enough.

Thanks again man!  I'll look into those items you suggested later this afternoon.  I got till June to figure out what equipment I need to get so I got some time to look at reviews till the synth comes out.

1 hour ago, Cocococo said:

Speakers are unfortunately out of the equation.  For scale references.  My full size bed takes up a good quarter and a half of my window and it even blocks it off.  The desk isn't deep enough and has a monitor riser and that's half my room space taken up by two items.  The other side barely has room for a slim shelf and I have to wall mount a montior just to use it on my table.  

But I should have just enough room to fit a synth in the corner.  

This is what happens when your room is literally 40ft in parameter and every single wall is 10ft long with stuff larger than 5 feet taking up the whole room.  It sucks but it's what I got to work with.

Smaller speakers might work and a sound bar but I dunno.  

Edited by APCNewbie209
More information given.