Constant BSoD after new ram/motherboard

Go to solution Solved by SpookyCitrus,

Remove one of the kits of ram, using two separate kits of Ram is a no no, they're not guaranteed to work together. Even if they are the exact same make and model they are not tested in the factory to be compatible. This is a very common issue.

Also DDR5 in particular has major issues running quad kits of ram, try to stick to two module kits if possible. I would return the two separate kits of memory and purchase one kit of 2x32GB of the speed you want. Do not get a quad module kit with DDR5.

A simple test to figure out if it is the memory configuration causing the issues would be to remove one of the two kits of ram, make sure you are using only the two modules that came together, they should have sequential serial numbers. If it works with just one of the kits without bluescreening, that's the problem.

I'd also recommend making sure your bios is up to date, also all of the chipset and motherboard drivers, I recommend manually installing them from the motherboards page on the manufacturer website over getting them through Windows, if you haven't done these already.

Hello! So i recently did a big upgrade on my rig. New GPU & PSU and then a month later i changed my cpu/mobo/ram. So basically the only thing that didn't change was my M.2 SSD. I consider myself pretty good with computer(except the Bios we have nowadays with a thousand options) but i've never struggled that much after a new set-up. I will list all my PC components down below. When i first launched the upgraded rig nothing worked so i've changed the bios boot option to CSM and then that did the trick.

Then after a day i started having a new problem when using all four sticks of ram (64GB total). when i would boot my system i was stuck in a BSOD loop that would attempt to fix itself, then reboot over and over again. So after checking online i went in the bios and enabled Memory Context Restore & enabled Power Down under DRAM menu instead of leaving it in AUTO. And that did the trick, the system would finally boot! Then i did the classic ''sfc /scannow''  &  ''DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth'' to fix the remaining minor issues.

So now after all that i have yet another problem. Yesterday while simply watching youtube videos i got two BSOD. One at midnight and one at 3 am. Both the same error. After the second one happened i tried the SFC & DISM tricks and then it didn't happen again. But today i decided to play Cyberpunk and during the very first loading screen i had yet again another BSOD with the same exact errors as yesterday. I took some screenshots. I have no idea what to do now. I finally have my dream rig and yet i can't even enjoy it or do the most basic things with it. Please help me, i don't know what to do anymore besides re-installing windows and i don't feel like going through that trouble in case the issue ends up persisting. Thank you!

Here's my rig :

CPU : AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor               4.70 GHz

MOBO : MSI MPG B650 Carbon WIFI ATX AM5

RAM : (4 x 16GB, so 64GB total) G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000) Desktop Memory Model F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK

GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070

Storage : Crucial P1 1TB M.2  &  Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z 1TB

PSU : Corsair RM1000x

BSOD1.png

BSOD2.png

BSOD3.png

Main Desktop : CPU - Ryzen 9  7'900X | Mobo - MSI MPG B650 Carbon WIFI ATX AM5 | GPU - ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 RAM - G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64GB 6400mhz | AIO -  MSI MAG CoreLiquid C360 | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - NZXT H440 Razer Limited Edition - Black | Storage - Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND M.2 SSD / TeamGroup T-Force Vulcan Z 1TB  SSD |

Remove one of the kits of ram, using two separate kits of Ram is a no no, they're not guaranteed to work together. Even if they are the exact same make and model they are not tested in the factory to be compatible. This is a very common issue.

Also DDR5 in particular has major issues running quad kits of ram, try to stick to two module kits if possible. I would return the two separate kits of memory and purchase one kit of 2x32GB of the speed you want. Do not get a quad module kit with DDR5.

A simple test to figure out if it is the memory configuration causing the issues would be to remove one of the two kits of ram, make sure you are using only the two modules that came together, they should have sequential serial numbers. If it works with just one of the kits without bluescreening, that's the problem.

I'd also recommend making sure your bios is up to date, also all of the chipset and motherboard drivers, I recommend manually installing them from the motherboards page on the manufacturer website over getting them through Windows, if you haven't done these already.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

51 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

I've already updated all my drivers & my bios, but i'm currently contacting Newegg to return my ram. Thanks for the tip! I'll let you know in due time if it did it for me!

Main Desktop : CPU - Ryzen 9  7'900X | Mobo - MSI MPG B650 Carbon WIFI ATX AM5 | GPU - ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 RAM - G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64GB 6400mhz | AIO -  MSI MAG CoreLiquid C360 | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - NZXT H440 Razer Limited Edition - Black | Storage - Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND M.2 SSD / TeamGroup T-Force Vulcan Z 1TB  SSD |

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2024 at 7:54 PM, SpookyCitrus said:

Also DDR5 in particular has major issues running quad kits of ram, try to stick to two module kits if possible. I would return the two separate kits of memory and purchase one kit of 2x32GB of the speed you want. Do not get a quad module kit with DDR5

After a few weeks, it's official. Quad kits for DDR5 was the issue. Now i have 2X 32GB and i have no trouble at all! Thanks again!