Phone Upgrade Advice - HELP!!!

So I'm using a pixel 6 at the moment, it's starting to slow down and frequently crashing. It's still usable just a pain sometimes. I have always been a fan of the pixel series and frequently use a lot of the AI features in the phone and the camera, although stock android is getting a bit boring it is still great to use.
I can afford to upgrade to pretty much anything right now.
I should also point out that I have a sight impairment and so i prefer devices with larger displays and have been considering something like a foldable.
PLEASE can i get some advice on what i should do, wait or upgrade? and what to?

I would upgrade to a Pixel 8 if I were you. Google has really polished software and hardware and you really notice it on that phone. I agree that the Pixel 6 was a bit of a letdown. It was less reliable, had too many bugs and glitches and performance was quite bad sometimes. But that's the risk you take with a first gen product such as Tensor.

However, you could also wait for Pixel 9 if you can hold out with your 6 until the end of the year.

btw. I upgraded myself from 6 Pro to 7 Pro to 8 Pro. So if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

If you want Foldable probably Oneplus Open is best option.

Otherwise Samsung's new S24 series are the best options, so S24 Ultra. It聽does聽depends on your requirements and preferences, there are also great phones with lower price such as Oneplus 12 or even someting like Red Magic 9 Pro that has good聽display and is fast, but has crap camera.聽

Also, foldable likely will not last for a long time if that's your aim, so keep that in mind.

4 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

I would upgrade to a Pixel 8 if I were you. Google has really polished software and hardware and you really notice it on that phone. I agree that the Pixel 6 was a bit of a letdown. It was less reliable, had too many bugs and glitches and performance was quite bad sometimes. But that's the risk you take with a first gen product such as Tensor.

However, you could also wait for Pixel 9 if you can hold out with your 6 until the end of the year.

btw. I upgraded myself from 6 Pro to 7 Pro to 8 Pro. So if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I would recommend against Pixel 8 when Phones like Oneplus 12 exist.聽

3 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

I would recommend against Pixel 8 when Phones like Oneplus 12 exist.聽

I don't see the appeal. The camera features on the Pixel 8 Pro are fantastic and I don't see anything coming close to it anytime soon.

15 hours ago, Senzelian said:

I don't see the appeal. The camera features on the Pixel 8 Pro are fantastic and I don't see anything coming close to it anytime soon.

Sure, camera is good, I don't care about it and I forgot that at all 馃槃聽In everything else Oneplus 12 is quite a bit better.聽

27 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Sure, camera is good, I don't care about it and I forgot that at all 馃槃聽In everything else Oneplus 12 is quite a bit better.聽

Is it?

Google offers 7 years of OS support, OnePlus only 3.

And some of the benchmarks show that the OnePlus 12 doesn't exactly win "everything".

The only real win I see with the OnePlus 12 is battery life and charge speed.

But only one thing actually matters: Brand recognition and how great the pictures in your Instagram stories look.聽

Spoiler

image.png.bca84bd4e4b554d4d8f9685240b6e508.png

image.png.580de2db61191d6438e9127c826089c4.png

Spoiler

image.png.efa3aa93e9f95f2ef633ddfb7d89fca5.png

image.png.a62091181132dc917804c3dc7ef34548.png

6 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Is it?

Google offers 7 years of OS support, OnePlus only 3.

And some of the benchmarks show that the OnePlus 12 doesn't exactly win "everything".

The only real win I see with the OnePlus 12 is battery life and charge speed.

But only one thing actually matters: Brand recognition and how great the pictures in your Instagram stories look.聽

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.bca84bd4e4b554d4d8f9685240b6e508.png

image.png.580de2db61191d6438e9127c826089c4.png

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.efa3aa93e9f95f2ef633ddfb7d89fca5.png

image.png.a62091181132dc917804c3dc7ef34548.png

There is something wrong with GSMarena testing it seems, Other tests show聽different results. 8 Gen 3 performs way better than that.聽

In a similar boat as the original poster, except coming from s22 ultra. I have a fold 5 for my work phone and just want a good solid android phone. Contemplating the Pixel 8 Pro as someone who has been a galaxy line user since just after the HTC Evo era. Prefer the Google options on my S 22 ultra to the Samsung options but want thoughts from someone who dailys the pixel please!聽

On 1/28/2024 at 8:04 PM, Dullah Differ said:

So I'm using a pixel 6 at the moment, it's starting to slow down and frequently crashing. It's still usable just a pain sometimes. I have always been a fan of the pixel series and frequently use a lot of the AI features in the phone and the camera, although stock android is getting a bit boring it is still great to use.
I can afford to upgrade to pretty much anything right now.
I should also point out that I have a sight impairment and so i prefer devices with larger displays and have been considering something like a foldable.
PLEASE can i get some advice on what i should do, wait or upgrade? and what to?

Have you tried resetting your phone? If not, I would try it before getting a new phone.

I have a Z Flip5, Z Fold4 and an S24 Ultra, but will only talk about the display sizes of the latter two. For transparency, I wear bifocal specs, so my eyesight is far from good. I have no problem reading articles on both, definitely have an easier time with the Fold4. While the Fold4 has the edge with screen size, I do not notice any speed difference between them as they're both pretty fast and responsive for regular daily usage.

With that said, I can say that the S24U feels like it's more than just a phone, I've been messing around with its AI (as in Advanced Intelligence) and its search and picture processing magic is simply incredible. I think the Fold5 will have these AI functionality, so that's a plus if OP's leaning toward the Fold series. I can post a pic or two with screen size side-by-side comparison if you want it, kinda lazy to do it now but will do so if need be.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO聽| Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |聽4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum聽| Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49"聽32:9 144Hz Freesync 2聽| Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE聽| Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS) |聽2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4聽|聽聽2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2