Do these USB 3.x Genx Motherboard Header Splitters work?

naylor2006
Go to solution Solved by WhitetailAni,
15 minutes ago, naylor2006 said:

In a round about way however what I am trying to say is do these cables actually work in a normal scenario say you had 4 USB 3 Type A ports but only one motherboard header, do they work for that or have I just bought snake oil?

You bought snake oil. You'll need something like this:

Spoiler

USB 3.0 Motherboard Header 20 Pin Internal USB Hub Controller 4 Port -  MODDIY

Internal USB 3.0 Hub, Motherboard USB 19/20P to Dual Male Headers Extension  Hub Splitter Adapter,Convert MB USB 3.2 Gen1 Male to 2 Ports - 1.3FT USB  19-pin Internal Cable - Newegg.com

They have a USB 3 hub which will give you what you need

I put x's in the place of the versions because I get super confused and dont want to make a fool of myself.

1 To 2 Motherboard USB 3.0 Header Splitter Cable 20cm 19Pin Internal Extension - Picture 1 of 7

My case front I/O is 2 USB A 5Gbps Ports and 1 USB-C 10Gbps.

So I got one of these motherboard splitters and hooked it up to my USB 3.2 Gen1 motherboard header, basically my motherboard doesnt have the Type E key USB-C header for front I/O. The idea was that I could connect up all my front I/O to this, well it didnt work, no matter what I plugged into my front I/O with this cable in use windows said it was unrecognised.

My setup is a little quirky because my USB-C Type E Key connecter from my case I/O is converted to a USB 3.0 type A style motherboard header cable so I can hook up my USB-C front I/O to the USB 3.2 Gen1 motherboard header, that works great on its own, buuut I only have the one header on my motherboard for USB 3. So I figured I could get this splitter and hook up from two front USB 3 type A ports to it and my converted Type E, it doesnt work. What I have actually done is just got a USB 2.0 header to 3.0 converter and hooked up the front USB-A's to that and left the USB-C connected to the Gen 1 motherboard header using a different adapter. Thats all good, the USB-C port works at 5Gbps and the USB A ports run at USB 2.0 speeds, no big deal.

In a round about way however what I am trying to say is do these cables actually work in a normal scenario say you had 4 USB 3 Type A ports but only one motherboard header, do they work for that or have I just bought snake oil?

I also forgive anyone for not bothering to try and understand what I said, man I found it hard to word what I mean.

Probably the same as an USB hub I guess.

You can split the USB-A ports, so why not the internal connector too...

Your issue might be the cable, MB or windows.

Edit: bro if you convert the USB c to usb 3.0 what are you expecting? If it would work like that it would have been the same connector from the beginning, Id say.

I am NOT a professional and I write before I think, so REFRESH THE PAGE!!!  Theres a 99% chance I've edited my post.

Also: Please enable XMP/D.O.H.C before asking why your ram is too slow.

15 minutes ago, naylor2006 said:

Spoiler

Internal USB 3.0 Hub, Motherboard USB 19/20P to Dual Male Headers Extension  Hub Splitter Adapter,Convert MB USB 3.2 Gen1 Male to 2 Ports - 1.3FT USB  19-pin Internal Cable - Newegg.com

elephants

2 minutes ago, WhitetailAni said:

Hide contents

Sorry if I'm stupid, but that has no USB c as far as I can tell, wich is what he tried to convert to usb 3.0.

Edit: perhaps I am, sorry for bothering, I didn't fully read the post.

I am NOT a professional and I write before I think, so REFRESH THE PAGE!!!  Theres a 99% chance I've edited my post.

Also: Please enable XMP/D.O.H.C before asking why your ram is too slow.

41 minutes ago, Sanedish said:

bro if you convert the USB c to usb 3.0 what are you expecting?

The connectors are completely the same electrically, just one is a good connector (the USB-C one) and one is horrible, easily damaged, and whoever created it needs to die. Adapters are just pin-to-pin.

The problem here is the splitter. The USB3 internal header is wired for two ports, and all that splitter does is connect two wires to each pin where there should be only one. It confuses the USB controller as only one device can be present per port.

elephants

2 hours ago, WhitetailAni said:

Reveal hidden contents

This makes more sense actually, of course an internal hub would do the trick, hell I could probably find one with a type e on it as well!

2 hours ago, Sanedish said:

Sorry if I'm stupid, but that has no USB c as far as I can tell, wich is what he tried to convert to usb 3.0.

Edit: perhaps I am, sorry for bothering, I didn't fully read the post.

No need to apologise, the post was not easy to understand really as I was trying to portray if it was my type e adapter in the loop that was causing the issue but the guys kindly explained that it’s not, the mobo header is designed for two ports so connecting more to it won’t work which is what I wanted to know.

1 hour ago, WhitetailAni said:

The connectors are completely the same electrically, just one is a good connector (the USB-C one) and one is horrible, easily damaged, and whoever created it needs to die. Adapters are just pin-to-pin.

The problem here is the splitter. The USB3 internal header is wired for two ports, and all that splitter does is connect two wires to each pin where there should be only one. It confuses the USB controller as only one device can be present per port.

So this is true even if no devices are plugged into the actual I/O ports right? None of the ports worked, to be fair I wasn’t expecting all the ports to work at once, it was just a means of bringing 5Gbps to the usb-a when I wanted it and the same to the usb-c when I wanted to use that.

with the cable in play windows just moaned about being unable to recognise the the usb device when it was plugged in.

I used to have a pci-e expansion card with a 10Gbps type e on it which was supplied the front usb-c port, worked great, however then came my 4080 and there was no space for that card anymore so I was left wondering how to get this type e cable connected somewhere even if I did lose 5Gbps in the process.