i want to upgrade my case fans

GanjajoggiBig

right now in my case i have a wild mix of fans and i wanted to look for some powerful but quiet ones to use as case fans to replace the ones i have right now

for info i have a corsair 4000D airflow as case and it offers great airflow due to the front and upper design, problem is i cant use it without good fans, so im looking for recommendations and possibly a fan hub, id prefer if its 4 pin fans

Just now, _Omega_ said:

what fans do you have rn?

for my front i have 2 noctua NF-P14 (2 140mm fans), the two case fans the case came with (one for the back an one on the upper panel), and for my cpu a cooler master sickleflow 120

well, the noctua NF-P14 are not bad at all, did you configure the fan curve? 

If you really want quiet fans i could recommend the BeQuiet! Shadow Wings 2 (very quiet but a bit of a compromise for performance) or the BeQuiet! Silent Wings 4 (very balanced between performance and noise)

1 minute ago, _Omega_ said:

well, the noctua NF-P14 are not bad at all, did you configure the fan curve? 

im going to be honest, i have no idea what that means, but i pretty much have all my fans in a straight line

The Arctic P12 or P12 Max is probably the best bet. The P12s are some of the cheapest fans you can buy while also being pretty good (you can usually get 5 for ~$35). The P12 Max is fairly similar, at the same RPM value they perform about the same, but the P12 Max has the advantage of going to nearly double the RPM and thus near double the max performance (admittedly while being quite a bit louder). 

There are fans with better noise to performance ratios like the Phanteks T30 and be quiet! Silent Wings Pro 4, but they cost 3-4x the price of the P12 Max for not that much extra performance. 

no, the fan curve is the response of the fans to temperature, you can change it in BIOS or with software. Maybe your fans are just running a bit faster than they need to

1 minute ago, _Omega_ said:

no, the fan curve is the response of the fans to temperature, you can change it in BIOS or with software. Maybe your fans are just running a bit faster than they need to

to be able to determine that ill have to look at that later

4 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The Arctic P12 or P12 Max is probably the best bet. The P12s are some of the cheapest fans you can buy while also being pretty good (you can usually get 5 for ~$35). The P12 Max is fairly similar, at the same RPM value they perform about the same, but the P12 Max has the advantage of going to nearly double the RPM and thus near double the max performance (admittedly while being quite a bit louder). 

There are fans with better noise to performance ratios like the Phanteks T30 and be quiet! Silent Wings Pro 4, but they cost 3-4x the price of the P12 Max for not that much extra performance. 

but how much air do the manage to move? what does the CFM look like (not sure if i used CFM right)

1 minute ago, GanjajoggiBig said:

but how much air do the manage to move? what does the CFM look like (not sure if i used CFM right)

Quite a bit. There's a number of reviews of these fans because of how popular they are. 

15 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Quite a bit. There's a number of reviews of these fans because of how popular they are. 

so if i were to mount them on my cpu cooler (coolermaster hyper evo 212 v2) id get better performance for a quieter pc, only problem if im going to use them for my case too ill need a fan hub/controller

1 minute ago, GanjajoggiBig said:

so if i were to mount them on my cpu cooler (coolermaster hyper evo 212 v2) id get better performance for a quieter pc, only problem if im going to use them for my case too ill need a fan hub/controller

If you're gonna mount them on a CPU cooler, you might as well get a new cooler like the Thermalright Peerless Assassin. For a general PC fan, one of the Arctic P12 variants is likely the best, but for CPU coolers upgrading the fans rarely makes much sense compared to just upgrading the cooler as a whole unless you have a 360mm AIO. 

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you're gonna mount them on a CPU cooler, you might as well get a new cooler like the Thermalright Peerless Assassin. For a general PC fan, one of the Arctic P12 variants is likely the best, but for CPU coolers upgrading the fans rarely makes much sense compared to just upgrading the cooler as a whole unless you have a 360mm AIO. 

well, then im gonna stay with my current cpu cooler, ill still need a fan hub/controller tough i only have three 4 pin connectors, and one 3 pin

does anyone have a recommendation for a fan hub/cobtroller or will any do?

I know Arctic has a cheap PWM hub.

What I'd like to say is :

you should definitely look into fan curves

you should check in the bios your PWM fans (4pins) are set to PWM (or Auto)

Fan Control is a great app to control fans from Windows

You don't need more fans,

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

30 minutes ago, leclod said:

You don't need more fans,

i know that but the fans i have right now are not even good, and i only have (if i replace the bad ones) only one 4 pin and one 3 pin connector thats why i want the hub

13 minutes ago, GanjajoggiBig said:

i know that but the fans i have right now are not even good, and i only have (if i replace the bad ones) only one 4 pin and one 3 pin connector thats why i want the hub

Noctua is one of the best brands and Corsair has at least decent ones. You've got good fans.

If you don't know about fan curves than you don't know about good fans either.

The 3 pin one you can connect direct to mb, just set it to DC in the bios. The difference between DC (3 pins) and PWM (4 pins) fans is small.

I've got 3 DC fans in my desktop, nobody could tell the difference.

Edit : ok , got it, 2 headers, one PWM (or DC) and one DC only

Edited by leclod

32 minutes ago, leclod said:

I've got 3 DC fans in my desktop, nobody could tell the difference.

except they look inside

23 minutes ago, GanjajoggiBig said:

except they look inside

Sure, I meant the function, they function the same.

By the way, you could probably also plug PWM fans on that DC header. I've got one PWM fan working fine on a DC header. Just in case.

Edited by leclod

It depends on the kind of functionality you want. If you want fans to be adorned to different cooling zones, get small hubs to break them up by zone.

As far as fans, why? Are you having temp issues?

If you have a need for high CFM and/or mmAq fans, I'll have to check my inventory. Generally speaking, the higher the RPM, the noisier, but some fans have designs that push that rule out of shape. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

6 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

It depends on the kind of functionality you want. If you want fans to be adorned to different cooling zones, get small hubs to break them up by zone.

He writes he's only got 2 headers, one PWM and one DC, hence 2 dynamic zones max.

But with Fan Control you don't really need zones anymore when one fan can follow multiple Temp sensors at once

Edited by leclod

12 minutes ago, leclod said:

He writes he's only got 2 headers, one PWM and one DC, hence 2 dynamic zones max.

But with Fan Control you don't really need zones anymore when one fan can follow multiple Temp sensors at once

avaiable i have 3 pwm headers in total but two of those are for my front fans and one is used on one of the one 3 pin fans i have

6 minutes ago, GanjajoggiBig said:

avaiable i have 3 pwm headers in total but two of those are for my front fans and one is used on one of the one 3 pin fans i have

🙈 I give up

Edited by leclod

1 hour ago, leclod said:

How does that help resolve zone cooling needs for the CPU and GPU? AFAIK, it doesn't. 

4 hours ago, GanjajoggiBig said:

i only have three 4 pin connectors, and one 3 pin

1 hour ago, GanjajoggiBig said:

3 or 4?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

11 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

How does that help resolve zone cooling needs for the CPU and GPU? AFAIK, it doesn't.

It solves at least part of it. Afaik.

In the past I had to dedicate a case fan to cpu and one to gpu because some software use the one and some the other. Because I had to choose.

But with Fan Control I now control my case fans following both cpu and gpu (and else) because I don't need to choose anymore.

Edited by leclod