What's the trick to using the same controller on multiple PC's?

Atheos

So I game with my Xbox Elite controller connected via bluetooth. I have a PC upstairs and one downstairs. Every time I move rooms I have to unpair and repair the controller because it's connecting to the wrong PC. Is there some trick to getting these controllers to switch devices? It's very annoying. 

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Not have the bluetooth active on a device

I use bluetooth mouse and keyboard on both devices... I can't be constantly turning on and off.

you can get a second controller,or press disconnect before you move to the other pc

Another very imperfect solution is if you can find the Microsoft wireless adapter (which uses Xbox's wireless protocol). Then you can bounce between bluetooth for one PC, and Microsofts wireless for the other PC. The controller lets you jump back and forth pretty easily by tapping/holding the pair button.

24 minutes ago, Holmes108 said:

Another very imperfect solution is if you can find the Microsoft wireless adapter (which uses Xbox's wireless protocol). Then you can bounce between bluetooth for one PC, and Microsofts wireless for the other PC. The controller lets you jump back and forth pretty easily by tapping/holding the pair button.

Would the wireless adapter then allow me to use Audio from my controller on the PC?

5 hours ago, Atheos said:

Would the wireless adapter then allow me to use Audio from my controller on the PC?

Yes, in fact it should be better. I had issues with bluetooth only allowing me mono audio alongside the controller connection.  (scratch that last part. That was me trying to use a wireless headset with windows). The adapter supports sound (along with supporting multiple controllers at once).

Last I looked for it, I had a hard time finding it though. Don't know if it's been discontinued. In fact to get one, I had to buy a combo pack that came with a controller and an adapter, which would be somewhat counterproductive for you.

I've had a great experience with mine, but to be clear I'm using a 2nd gen official adapter. 1st gen seemed to have fine reviews too though. There are 3rd party adapters as well, but I can't vouch for them.