Ethernet suddenly stopped working but Wifi still works.

Free Napkins

Hello I have been googling for hours trying to figure this out and need some help.

My ethernet cable is plugged in, lit up, shows up in ipconfig and everything but has "No Internet" in the settings. My wifi works fine on the machine. I've changed out the cable and I have a wired ethernet connection to another PC that works well. I have switched the ports and everything and I am at a total loss. Not sure where else to begin troubleshooting.

Thank you for any and all help!

Try the same cable and port on a different pc

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

also note as per the latest typing test on my laptop, my accuracy is 69%

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

4 minutes ago, Indian pc builder said:

Try the same cable and port on a different pc

Just did it on my Laptop and it is working fine. I also works with my switch

2 hours ago, Free Napkins said:

Hello I have been googling for hours trying to figure this out and need some help.

My ethernet cable is plugged in, lit up, shows up in ipconfig and everything but has "No Internet" in the settings. My wifi works fine on the machine. I've changed out the cable and I have a wired ethernet connection to another PC that works well. I have switched the ports and everything and I am at a total loss. Not sure where else to begin troubleshooting.

Thank you for any and all help!

Run in command prompt:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

Its most likely some error with DHCP, being how your machine likely receives its IP address.

If its not a simple IP conflict, then troubleshooting gets a lot more complicated which could include a hardware fault.

If that doesn't work I would reset the NIC, if you run the Windows troubleshooter for the network connection, it'll usually prompt to do so. If the network you're connected to can pull IPs from the router/server (DHCP) then default configuration should work.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

1 hour ago, Agall said:

Run in command prompt:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

Its most likely some error with DHCP, being how your machine likely receives its IP address.

If its not a simple IP conflict, then troubleshooting gets a lot more complicated which could include a hardware fault.

If that doesn't work I would reset the NIC, if you run the Windows troubleshooter for the network connection, it'll usually prompt to do so. If the network you're connected to can pull IPs from the router/server (DHCP) then default configuration should work.

Ive done this with no success. I am attempting to reformat my computer and unplugging my wifi card. It could be the physical port that has an issue.

9 minutes ago, Free Napkins said:

Ive done this with no success. I am attempting to reformat my computer and unplugging my wifi card. It could be the physical port that has an issue.

RJ-45 ports are pretty open, so if there's an issue with a set of the contacts, it should be visible. Usually in that case, its pretty noticeable. There's also the probability its a hardware fault but not with the physical port.

I've also seen it where the driver gets corrupted, where uninstalling it (and deleting what's there) from Device Manager and letting Windows reinstall it from Windows Update is a fix I've deployed in that scenario. Sometimes it requires pulling an older driver from the manufacturer's website if Windows forced a driver update that is incompatible (which it would apply again letting it happen automatically).

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

20 minutes ago, Agall said:

RJ-45 ports are pretty open, so if there's an issue with a set of the contacts, it should be visible. Usually in that case, its pretty noticeable. There's also the probability its a hardware fault but not with the physical port.

I've also seen it where the driver gets corrupted, where uninstalling it (and deleting what's there) from Device Manager and letting Windows reinstall it from Windows Update is a fix I've deployed in that scenario. Sometimes it requires pulling an older driver from the manufacturer's website if Windows forced a driver update that is incompatible (which it would apply again letting it happen automatically).

I plugged in my USB ethernet jack I use for my switch and that works. Not sure if its a configuration thing but I may just spring for an internal ethernet card. Would there be compatibility issues I may encounter? Its a pretty old board. It is a MSI Z270

3 minutes ago, Free Napkins said:

I plugged in my USB ethernet jack I use for my switch and that works. Not sure if its a configuration thing but I may just spring for an internal ethernet card. Would there be compatibility issues I may encounter? Its a pretty old board. It is a MSI Z270

As long as you have a slot open, it'll likely not conflict. Usually the very last PCIe slot is the best one to keep it as far away from your GPU as possible.

Amazon.com: TP-Link 2.5GB PCIe Network Card (TX201) – PCIe to 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter, Supports Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7, Win Server 2022/2019/2016, Linux : Electronics

I have one of these in my system since my Gigabyte X670e's Intel NIC is flakey in Windows 11, common driver/firmware issue across multiple motherboards right now.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500