Samsung help

I have a samsung M21. Screen broke. Can unlock using fingerprint. google assistant works I want to back up my stuff to my laptop via usb or something. USB mode is charging only, cant seem to change it. Do not have a samsung account setup. WHat do?

Samsung M21
Android 12
Not rooted
Not unlocked bootloader
dev options off
screen black, touch unresponsive

you could try to plug a dongle and use a keyboard, mouse and display adapter.

2 minutes ago, avgvstvs said:

you could try to plug a dongle and use a keyboard, mouse and display adapter.

i dont have any of those things.... and i am not sure if M21, a fairly low end model even supports that
The M series does not have samsung dex...

Keyboard and mouse is kinda standard, if you can see anything on the screen, even barely, you could try with a simple OTG cable. I don't know about the display adapter though, you would have to buy it and test. It is less expensive than a full screen replacement, for sure...

16 minutes ago, avgvstvs said:

Keyboard and mouse is kinda standard, if you can see anything on the screen, even barely, you could try with a simple OTG cable. I don't know about the display adapter though, you would have to buy it and test. It is less expensive than a full screen replacement, for sure...

Samsung offers replacement of screen for less than $40...

1 minute ago, Ujee said:

Samsung offers replacement of screen for less than $40...

Oh, wow. That is cool. A screen replacement here where i live is like 350 to 450 BRL for a mid end smartphone, which is like 70 to 90 USD... Which is a third of a minimum wage salary. If you can afford it, just replace it then...

7 minutes ago, avgvstvs said:

Oh, wow. That is cool. A screen replacement here where i live is like 350 to 450 BRL for a mid end smartphone, which is like 70 to 90 USD... Which is a third of a minimum wage salary. If you can afford it, just replace it then...

but i will be buying a new phone very soon, this feels like a waste of money

1 minute ago, Ujee said:

but i will be buying a new phone very soon, this feels like a waste of money

Yeah, how much do you value your data?

Anyway, USB dongle is the way to go according to samsung. Can't think of anything else...

You should give it a try, you might be able to find an adapter for less then 20 bucks maybe.

Anyway, good luck!

12 minutes ago, avgvstvs said:

Yeah, how much do you value your data?

Anyway, USB dongle is the way to go according to samsung. Can't think of anything else...

You should give it a try, you might be able to find an adapter for less then 20 bucks maybe.

Anyway, good luck!

I found a better way, a local repair guy will replace the screen temporarily, will let me back up the data onto my laptop and take the screen back...he is asking for $8, i think it is a fair price; do you think i should proceed?

Just now, Ujee said:

I found a better way, a local repair guy will replace the screen temporarily, will let me back up the data onto my laptop and take the screen back...he is asking for $8, i think it is a fair price; do you think i should proceed?

Do you trust the guy? Sounds a bit sketchy to me... Replacing a screen is a risky job, you might break the screen you're trying to install or even worse, damage your clients phone, so it baffles me that someone would be willing to do it for 8 USD... But if it is a reputable shop or if you trust the guy, it sounds like a deal...

Just now, avgvstvs said:

Do you trust the guy? Sounds a bit sketchy to me... Replacing a screen is a risky job, you might break the screen you're trying to install or even worse, damage your clients phone, so it baffles me that someone would be willing to do it for 8 USD... But if it is a reputable shop or if you trust the guy, it sounds like a deal...

i dont know, i found the number on google...he will i think just disassemble and loosely connect another screen, would he be able to steal my data? i have some decently sensitive stuff...

3 minutes ago, Ujee said:

i dont know, i found the number on google...he will i think just disassemble and loosely connect another screen, would he be able to steal my data? i have some decently sensitive stuff...

Look, i wouldn't do it. I would either replace the screen and then sell the phone or i would buy a dongle and recover my data and then get rid of the phone. Specially if you have sensitive data, but i would be more afraid of a scam, like maybe when you're back with the phone the guy tells you that you broke it and now you have to pay full price or something, i don't know... Anyway, maybe someone can think of another method.

2 hours ago, avgvstvs said:

Look, i wouldn't do it. I would either replace the screen and then sell the phone or i would buy a dongle and recover my data and then get rid of the phone. Specially if you have sensitive data, but i would be more afraid of a scam, like maybe when you're back with the phone the guy tells you that you broke it and now you have to pay full price or something, i don't know... Anyway, maybe someone can think of another method.

bro i managed to find a way to use my phone (kinda) i basically ask google assistant to take screenshots, see them using phone link then guess where the stuff i wanna click is on the screen, if i can get it, i will turn on usb file transfer!!!

26 minutes ago, Ujee said:

bro i managed to find a way to use my phone (kinda) i basically ask google assistant to take screenshots, see them using phone link then guess where the stuff i wanna click is on the screen, if i can get it, i will turn on usb file transfer!!!

Haha! That was smart, my dude! Nice.

19 minutes ago, avgvstvs said:

Haha! That was smart, my dude! Nice.

update: i tried but failed to set up anydesk/TeamViewer bc i couldnt type, however i managed to get it to usb transfer mode! I updated Samsung Smart Switch and am ready to fire!!!!!!
It is showing up in my file directory. Man i was almost ready to somehow get into it using Kali Linux or something, but hey 212 screenshots was all i needed. That being said,  i got airdroid, TV and anydesk using my tablet installed onto the phone with google play install on other device but i cant guess the keys precisely. Is there a way to set something like that easily?  Someway to easily use my laptop's keyboard to type?image.thumb.png.fb4155aa060538d4a3cc66a82fc9b75d.png

I think you can send an app directly to your device from the web version of the play store 🤔image.thumb.png.0878b1c7faf1e7668c08b0563e51ff99.png

53 minutes ago, avgvstvs said:

I think you can send an app directly to your device from the web version of the play store 🤔image.thumb.png.0878b1c7faf1e7668c08b0563e51ff99.png

i can do that but i cant configure it, i cant type the pin to enable dev ops or anything!!

do you have to enable developer mode though? I think you only need to open the app and then install a plugin or something. I can't think of any other way that would allow you to send input to your phone, except the previously mentioned OTG cable.

19 hours ago, avgvstvs said:

do you have to enable developer mode though? I think you only need to open the app and then install a plugin or something. I can't think of any other way that would allow you to send input to your phone, except the previously mentioned OTG cable.

update 2: I got all my files and i did launch a remote factory reset and i am 70% it worked! rn i am on another smartphone