My WiFi won't run at WiFi 6

Zuhyy6

I have a TPLINK Archer TX50E AX3000 WiFi 6E wireless adaptor. My router is a Virgin Media Hub 5 WiFi 6. I've enabled WiFi 6 in my network settings but my WiFi keeps running at WiFi 5. Once in a while (lets say like once in a month) it will randomly switch to WiFi 6 but will go back to 5 the next day. How do I fix this?

Are you connecting to the 5GHz network? Have you ever connected to the 2.4GHz one? If so "forget" it from your devices so they only connect to the 5GHz one.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

12 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Are you connecting to the 5GHz network? Have you ever connected to the 2.4GHz one? If so "forget" it from your devices so they only connect to the 5GHz one.

The only one that comes as an option is the 5ghz one but it should be 6ghz because my router is WiFi 6 and my adapter is 6E. I did forget all wi-fi's from my pc then reconnect but it is still at WiFi 5

6 minutes ago, Zuhyy6 said:

The only one that comes as an option is the 5ghz one but it should be 6ghz because my router is WiFi 6 and my adapter is 6E. I did forget all wi-fi's from my pc then reconnect but it is still at WiFi 5

If your router is Wi-Fi 6, then it'll only support the 5 GHz band. You need 6E to get the additional 6 GHz band. But you don't need to use the 6 GHz band to get Wi-Fi 6 speeds.

How do you figure it is running at Wi-Fi 5? Are you running a speed test, looking at network settings of Windows, or something else?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

How do you figure it is running at Wi-Fi 5? Are you running a speed test, looking at network settings of Windows, or something else?

Network settings says it

If your router is Wi-Fi 6, then it'll only support the 5 GHz band. You need 6E to get the additional 6 GHz band. But you don't need to use the 6 GHz band to get Wi-Fi 6 speeds.

But sometimes it randomly switches to 6ghz

10 hours ago, Zuhyy6 said:

Network settings says it

But sometimes it randomly switches to 6ghz

This has to be a UI glitch, the Hub 5 does not support 6Ghz!

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/existing-customer-deals/hub

Even if it did, it likely would only work in the same room as the Hub.

WiFi 6 != 6Ghz, WiFi 6 works on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, WiFi 6e adds 6Ghz support.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7