New CEO Interview

So Linus has stated on WAN Show the new CEO interview is an exclusive on Floatplane and is over an hour long with questions from floatplane members.

Is it just me that thinks this is a big FU to all on YouTube who helped Linus create what LTT is today, without YouTube there would be no LTT, no floatplane yet were snubbed for the few now able and willing to pay. 

I just think something so key to the future of LTT to be kept from the very channel that created LTT is a pretty crappy move. 

To not take any questions unless you pay, it’s like through wan show and live streams they simply ignore YouTube chat in favour of Floatplane

Thanks YouTube now FU

Cheers Linus, much appreciated and noted!

Times change, monetisation methods change. You don't owe them anything and they owe you nothing.

You watched their videos and got entertained/informed - that was your reward, an eternal show of gratitude to you was not in the contract.

Monetisation changes, before Windows 8, people used to go to their local computer store in person, and pay $100 (or more) for physical media item containing their new copy of windows.

Windows is now available directly as a download online, does that mean that the computer stores who "built" Microsoft by stocking their physical media in days gone by should be angry?

In 10 years youtube might not exist anymore, there's plenty of drama now about their policies and pratices, kudos to LTT for having a plan to migrate away from the platform should it become necessary, as it was for those selling software on disk in the past.

I haven't watched it, but judging by the title it sounds like it was a live Q&A with Floatplane subscribers.

There's plenty of Floatplane exclusive content, and even the base level $5/mo subscription gives you access to everything. If you care about supporting the channel, they make more per viewer from Floatplane than YouTube Premium. If you want to interact with WAN Show, Floatplane chat gets the lion's share of their attention (outside of merch messages). I realize I'm speaking from privilege saying that "only" $5/mo is cheap, but in the grand scheme of things it is cheap.

That said, a "trailer", preview, or otherwise cut down version for YouTube might drum up some more interest. I didn't know about it until I saw this thread. 🤷‍♂️

52 minutes ago, whispous said:

Times change, monetisation methods change. You don't owe them anything and they owe you nothing.

Allegedly, AdSense numbers have fallen off a cliff in the last couple years. I don't think LMG has addressed that directly, but I've heard it from a couple of the prominent YouTubers I watch (in retrocomputing circles). If that's the case, they have a financial interest in enticing viewers toward other products that generate more revenue (merch, Floatplane, etc).

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

17 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

generate more revenue

Linus already admitted that LMG makes more from merch then video productions, IIRC back in 2022-ish?

That said, I wonder what the difference is in subscriber numbers for FP v/s YT.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

I get times change BUT something as key as the new CEO and direction of the company and his views is pretty key to all who wish to follow and have supported LTT

Ive no problem with Floatplane having exclusives, can’t be bothered about that

my point is this was something that should have been shared on all platforms

Merch is the biggest source of income but it’s a source of income from millions of people who follow on YouTube 

On the subject of chat, as I say, YouTube is again always ignored, they even follow twitch but not YouTube 

Seems bizarre behaviour to ignore the largest amount of followers for interaction and for a key interview, Q&A with new CEO

7 minutes ago, Gazzzzzzzzzzer said:

I get times change BUT something as key as the new CEO and direction of the company and his views is pretty key to all who wish to follow and have supported LTT

Ive no problem with Floatplane having exclusives, can’t be bothered about that

my point is this was something that should have been shared on all platforms

Merch is the biggest source of income but it’s a source of income from millions of people who follow on YouTube 

On the subject of chat, as I say, YouTube is again always ignored, they even follow twitch but not YouTube 

Seems bizarre behaviour to ignore the largest amount of followers for interaction and for a key interview, Q&A with new CEO

They owe you nothing 🤣

16 minutes ago, Gazzzzzzzzzzer said:

Pretty much all the creators I follow will post business/life updates as Patreon/supporter exclusives.

It's not standard channel content, it's "behind the scenes" stuff and it's standard practice to keep those to a more restricted group. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I think is pretty clear that after the kerfluffle last year the content schedule and monetization plan was altered and floatplane really helped and they have shifted the model.

While I am personally disappointed I can't watch it for free, I understand the (suspected) reason, and do not agree or understand the fans who feel entitled to any specific content.

6 hours ago, Gazzzzzzzzzzer said:

Is it just me that thinks this is a big FU to all on YouTube who helped Linus create what LTT is today, without YouTube there would be no LTT, no floatplane yet were snubbed for the few now able and willing to pay. 

No. Neither Linus nor LMG owe you absolutely anything. 

You watch free YouTube videos, LMG gets ad venue. 

You purchase a screw driver, LMG gets money in exchange. 

That's the end of the contract.

LMG says "this video is going to cost extra" and you say "no thank you, that's too expensive". You choose not to enter that deal, that's perfectly reasonable.

Any extrapolation beyond this is the perfect example of a parasocial relationship. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

1 hour ago, Gazzzzzzzzzzer said:

YouTube chat is a high-speed cesspit on a good day. Twitch chat isn't much better.

Everyone on Floatplane chat wats to participate enough that they pay to be there. Paywalls are a good thing when they dissuade people from playing verbal diarrhea fountain and evading bans with alt accounts.

Unfortunately, YouTube is the lowest common denominator audience. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

23 minutes ago, Gazzzzzzzzzzer said:

BUT something as key as the new CEO and direction of the company and his views is pretty key to all who wish to follow and have supported LTT

It's not important to normal casual viewers.  It's for the hardcore fans.  The people who are happy to support the content they love.  

You have the option of viewing the content you want to see for $5.

Telling people FU is a bad strategy to get them to give you something for free.

2 hours ago, Gazzzzzzzzzzer said:

I just think something so key to the future of LTT to be kept from the very channel that created LTT is a pretty crappy move. 

As a Floatplaner who has watched the interview, it's nothing serious. It's mostly just 2 old friends reminiscing about old NCIX times and laugh about Terren Tong's first weeks amidst all the August chaos. They also talked about their favourite games, just like any other "Meet-the-team".

They owe the fans nothing. 

2 hours ago, Gazzzzzzzzzzer said:

Is it just me that thinks this is a big FU to all on YouTube who helped Linus create what LTT is today, without YouTube there would be no LTT

This reminded me of a guy gifting flowers/rings/car to a girl and getting all upset because the girl didn't love him back.

9 hours ago, cooky560 said:

Monetisation changes, before Windows 8, people used to go to their local computer store in person, and pay $100 (or more) for physical media item containing their new copy of windows.

Yes, I remember going to the computer store, floppy in hand, to get drivers and such.

Windows 3.1 ruled.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

9 hours ago, Gazzzzzzzzzzer said:

Are you really this desperate to listen to a CEO talk?

I've been supporting Amazon for years. When they hire a new CEO, my voice should be heard.

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

2 hours ago, Lurking said:

I've been supporting Amazon for years. When they hire a new CEO, my voice should be heard.

I think I've put all of their kids through college.

Look, I probably shouldn't be leaking all the Floatplane secrets but I will include a summary of the interview:

• Terren has resting terse face
  • Terren was really good at Team Fortress classic
  • Terren likes VR but hasn't really kept up with it
  • Terren has an incredibly dry/sarcastic sense of humour

I'm not sure how this is particularly key to the future and direction of LTT as a brand or company but the interview was fun.