Starting up a Minecraft server with an old PC?

hanouzz
Go to solution Solved by 8tg,

For just a few people, maybe up to 8 or so players, I’d day any older quadcore. I used to run an 8 player server comfortably on an i5 4570 with 12gb of ram. Never ran into any huge issues unless everyone was on and was fast exploring at once.

So this also includes any old workstation, basically any ddr3 platform newer than core2, with at least 4 cores.

So like lynnfield xeons would let you do this for sub $100, for a Xeon x3440 which is like a first gen i7, 16gb of ddr3, a compatible server board, and basic system otherwise.

Or any haswell optiplex or newer. Newer would obviously do better. You can get coffee lake mini pcs in the form of hp prodesks very cheap, which would be an i5 8500T where 6 cores is better than 4.

If I wanted to start a Minecraft server using one of my old PCs, what would be the recommended system specs to run something like that?
(Keep in mind it'll probably be running Debian Linux, since it's just going to be the server, I know there are much better distros out there)

For just a few people, maybe up to 8 or so players, I’d day any older quadcore. I used to run an 8 player server comfortably on an i5 4570 with 12gb of ram. Never ran into any huge issues unless everyone was on and was fast exploring at once.

So this also includes any old workstation, basically any ddr3 platform newer than core2, with at least 4 cores.

So like lynnfield xeons would let you do this for sub $100, for a Xeon x3440 which is like a first gen i7, 16gb of ddr3, a compatible server board, and basic system otherwise.

Or any haswell optiplex or newer. Newer would obviously do better. You can get coffee lake mini pcs in the form of hp prodesks very cheap, which would be an i5 8500T where 6 cores is better than 4.

2 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Alright, I'll look into it!