Want to downgrade to a semi dumb phone. Any advice

Go to solution Solved by Agall,
6 minutes ago, Badpunsonly said:

I currently have an iPhone 12 mini that has a crap battery, and I am looking to downgrade in order to use my computer for most of my media and game needs will not relying as much on my phone. I would still like the ability to use Spotify or just play MP3 files and USB C is an plus, any recommendations?

I'd honestly stick to the iphone 12 mini and get a battery replacement at your local Apple ASP which is like $70.

I went through this whole process to come back to a smartphone, since its unfortunately all or none when it comes to features. Losing the actually good parts about a smartphone like streaming music in your vehicle and googling something quick just isn't worth it in today's world.

I settled on the Flip series, going from a Flip 3 to 5 after 2 years. Its pretty much the best "you spend 95% of the time carrying it" phone. Even then, I spent most the time with the thing folded, since its replying to texts or listening to something on youtube, both of which can be done with the front display on the Flip 5. I use a 'dumb' watch, and the front is designed as a pseudo smart-watch display, only recently evolving into an 'almost fully featured' display.

Almost jumped in the 12 mini when it released, had an 2020 SE at the time and didn't feel like spending that much. Still have a high opinion of the design, though its likely a dead product series with no further generations past 13th.

I currently have an iPhone 12 mini that has a crap battery, and I am looking to downgrade in order to use my computer for most of my media and game needs will not relying as much on my phone. I would still like the ability to use Spotify or just play MP3 files and USB C is an plus, any recommendations?

Edited by Badpunsonly

I currently have an iPhone 12 mini that has a crap battery, and I am looking to downgrade in order to use my computer for most of my media and game needs will not relying as much on my phone. I would still like the ability to use Spotify or just play MP3 files any recommendations?

I really do like my Samsung Galaxy A14. Its price is compelling, screen size is large and I pretty much only use it for music at the gym. Its fast enough to not be a hazzle when switching songs, opening programs or playing youtube.  Battery life is actually pretty decent!  I charge it every 3-4 days and this is with playing music at the gym.

I myself use a lot of MP3 files and the drag /drop system for Android is just so simple.

You can always get a new battery for your iPhone, then just don't use it for games and doomscrolling. I know it's a tough habit to break, but you'd still be able to use it for media playback.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I'd honestly stick to the iphone 12 mini and get a battery replacement at your local Apple ASP which is like $70.

I went through this whole process to come back to a smartphone, since its unfortunately all or none when it comes to features. Losing the actually good parts about a smartphone like streaming music in your vehicle and googling something quick just isn't worth it in today's world.

I settled on the Flip series, going from a Flip 3 to 5 after 2 years. Its pretty much the best "you spend 95% of the time carrying it" phone. Even then, I spent most the time with the thing folded, since its replying to texts or listening to something on youtube, both of which can be done with the front display on the Flip 5. I use a 'dumb' watch, and the front is designed as a pseudo smart-watch display, only recently evolving into an 'almost fully featured' display.

Almost jumped in the 12 mini when it released, had an 2020 SE at the time and didn't feel like spending that much. Still have a high opinion of the design, though its likely a dead product series with no further generations past 13th.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

2 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

You can always get a new battery for your iPhone, then just don't use it for games and doomscrolling. I know it's a tough habit to break, but you'd still be able to use it for media playback.

Can't game or doom scroll if you don't have games installed or social media.

14 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

I should have mentioned but the battery was replaced two months ago, and I am currently only using it for music and media. 

14 minutes ago, Agall said:

I was looking at the flip series and was ready to buy but got a replacement battery instead. Might have to switch over soon. Thank you for the advice!

1 minute ago, Badpunsonly said:

I was looking at the flip series and was ready to buy but got a replacement battery instead. Might have to switch over soon. Thank you for the advice!

Long time Android user but in general consider iOS better. If Apple released a Z Flip equivalent, I'd likely jump ship. Potentially consider that option given the rumors around Apple releasing a folding phone.

TBH, my perfect phone would be simply the front display fully featured. I used a Unihertz Atom as my daily driver for +6 months until the battery was shot (not a high quality piece of electronic, but it was physically durable). The folding nature of a Z Flip at least gives me the option of a full screen even if I almost exclusively use the front now. Doesn't require a case, but a Dbrand skin on the back is recommended for grip.

Razr+ is also something to consider. The front display on it is fully featured in comparison to the Z Flip. I just now stay away from smartphones made by Chinese owned companies, so its really Google, Apple, and Samsung for me.