There is low pitched pulsing hum sound coming from either my CPU cooler, HDD or fans......... bass-like pulsing or "whom whom whom whom" sound

xxRainzeroxx
Go to solution Solved by emosun,
Just now, xxRainzeroxx said:

There wasn't a whom whom sound before I replaced the PSU. So I don't think it has something to do with bad bearing.

well modern computers don't have a lot of moving parts and if the noise is loud enough to be considerably audible then it's going to be due to a moving part.

theres a high likelihood that removing the fans from the system will result in the noise magically disapearing so I'd probably start with the fans

I recently installed a new PSU wrong and I think i short circuited it. Thankfully, my PSU didnt get fried or some important components as the PC posted and its currently running. But sadly, there is a low pitched whom whom whom sound coming from somewhere. Where could this sound come from? And what component I need to replace...............................................................  !!!! PSU cables are not standardized!!!!

1 minute ago, xxRainzeroxx said:

PSU cables are not standardized!!!!

were aware of this

1 minute ago, xxRainzeroxx said:

whom whom whom sound

usually thats going to be two different fans going in and out of phase with each other and could make that noise if they aren't screwed in tightly , or basically if ANY part isn't screwed in tightly. Or just a single fan with a bad bearing

21 minutes ago, emosun said:

were aware of this

usually thats going to be two different fans going in and out of phase with each other and could make that noise if they aren't screwed in tightly , or basically if ANY part isn't screwed in tightly. Or just a single fan with a bad bearing

There wasn't a whom whom sound before I replaced the PSU. So I don't think it has something to do with bad bearing. I could be wrong.

I securely tighten everything within the PC and it still makes that noise. 

Just now, xxRainzeroxx said:

There wasn't a whom whom sound before I replaced the PSU. So I don't think it has something to do with bad bearing.

well modern computers don't have a lot of moving parts and if the noise is loud enough to be considerably audible then it's going to be due to a moving part.

theres a high likelihood that removing the fans from the system will result in the noise magically disapearing so I'd probably start with the fans

Thank you so much. I found the culprit, its a fan. Doing the pressing in the middle of the fan while the computer is on to test which one removes the sound is a good advice.