Need help choosing 1 or 2TB SATA SSD for storing games

unv

I'm looking for a good-value 1 or 2TB SATA SSD in Norway. I will use it as a secondary drive for storing games and perhaps some documents. Here are some of the options I've been considering:

•  SAMSUNG 870 EVO 1 TB: 900 NOK (86 USD)
  • Crucial MX500 2.5" 7mm 1TB: 950 NOK (92 USD)
  • Kioxia Exceria LTC10Z960GG8 960GB: 650 NOK (62 USD)

Thanks in advance!

If you want the best drive of the bunch, it's the 870 EVO. Quality drive, quality brand, never had an issue with probably 20-30 of these I've put into deployment for friends/family/work PC drive replacements. They're good enough for professional business use.

Also, the Samsung is rated for 600 terabytes written over its lifespan with a 5 year warranty, almost double the Crucial. The Crucial is rated for 360 TBW and the same five-year warranty, while the Kioxia is the worst of the bunch at 240 TBW rated lifespan and a 3-year warranty.

18 minutes ago, damians said:

I'm looking for a good-value 1 or 2TB SATA SSD in Norway. I will use it as a secondary drive for storing games and perhaps some documents. Here are some of the options I've been considering:

•  SAMSUNG 870 EVO 1 TB: 900 NOK (86 USD)
  • Crucial MX500 2.5" 7mm 1TB: 950 NOK (92 USD)
  • Kioxia Exceria LTC10Z960GG8 960GB: 650 NOK (62 USD)

Thanks in advance!

Samsung never disappoints when it comes to SSD's

7 minutes ago, Mando772004 said:

Samsung never disappoints when it comes to SSD's

That's not entirely true. 😉

Though overall I agree, never had a problem with their SATA drives.  But I've not had any brand of SSD die on me yet since the early Sandforce controller debacle (where only a single Sandforce drive survived).

Personally I switched to NVMe for my games drive, in anticipation of more games using DirectStorage going fowards.  I already have a couple of games where the difference between SATA and NVMe is actually obvious, I think Starfield was one of them.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

40 minutes ago, itsabearcannon said:

If you want the best drive of the bunch, it's the 870 EVO. Quality drive, quality brand, never had an issue with probably 20-30 of these I've put into deployment for friends/family/work PC drive replacements. They're good enough for professional business use.

Also, the Samsung is rated for 600 terabytes written over its lifespan with a 5 year warranty, almost double the Crucial. The Crucial is rated for 360 TBW and the same five-year warranty, while the Kioxia is the worst of the bunch at 240 TBW rated lifespan and a 3-year warranty.

Samsung literallt has suicide firmware on their 980 pro and 990 pro drives.

They do dissapoint 😛

Anyway for op the mx500 or 860/870 evo whichever ia cheaper

Wd blue sata ssd is also an option but only if significantly cheaper

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

They do dissapoint 😛

Which is a nothingburger now because it's been patched and they offered to replace any drives affected. Similar issues have happened to every SSD brand out there. If you lost data as a result, well, if it was important data you would have followed 3-2-1.

10 hours ago, itsabearcannon said:

Which is a nothingburger now because it's been patched and they offered to replace any drives affected. Similar issues have happened to every SSD brand out there. If you lost data as a result, well, if it was important data you would have followed 3-2-1.

It really isn't?

Tons of random drive failiures in machines with an issue that was found by video editors in a week aka they knew this stuff was fucked.

Its why its important to remember this AND never ever buy shit on launch.

And hold em accountable for when it happens again. Like remember the bending iphones? Well seems people forgot by the time the ipad pro did the same dang thing and now the iphone 15 max's are having explody glass due to bending.

Anyways the 860/870 and mx500 are both tried and true good stuff so some of those are good to go.

14 hours ago, itsabearcannon said:

Thank you. I appreciate your response. I think I'll go with the 870 Evo. Warranty is not a factor for me since sellers are legally required to give a 5-year warranty on electronics in Norway, but having a drive fail would be a significant inconvenience nevertheless.

15 hours ago, jaslion said:

They do dissapoint 😛

i have the 980 pro and it like auto updated the firmware like i didnt even touch the samsung magic app i think they did that with windows updates to prevent the 980 pro and 990 pro from dying

2 hours ago, unv said:

Thank you. I appreciate your response. I think I'll go with the 870 Evo. Warranty is not a factor for me since sellers are legally required to give a 5-year warranty on electronics in Norway, but having a drive fail would be a significant inconvenience nevertheless.

Be careful with that confidence. If the company isn't headquartered in the EU (and especially if their HQ is in China), nothing's stopping them from dragging their feet, taking weeks to months to complete warranty exchanges/replacements, "shipping delays", "out of stock", there are many tricks in the book that legally bypass EU regulations on warranties.

5 hours ago, jaslion said:

It really isn't?

Tons of random drive failiures in machines with an issue that was found by video editors in a week aka they knew this stuff was fucked.

Its why its important to remember this AND never ever buy shit on launch.

And hold em accountable for when it happens again. Like remember the bending iphones? Well seems people forgot by the time the ipad pro did the same dang thing and now the iphone 15 max's are having explody glass due to bending.

Anyways the 860/870 and mx500 are both tried and true good stuff so some of those are good to go.

You need to keep up to date a little more. The iPhone 15 issue was never replicated by an independent testing lab, the JRE results were found to be outliers. Consumer Reports tested the 15 and 15 Plus in a repetitive drop chamber and couldn't get the glass to reliably break under even severe drop conditions.

And in case you're wondering about other SSD failures, Google the following: the Intel 8MB bug, HPE and Dell Enterprise 40,000 hour dead SSDs, the SanDisk Extreme Pro Portable dead SSD plague from last year, the entire first generation of SandForce-based SSDs, the OCZ Vertex 3, and the Kingston A400.