Exploding Sony WF-1000XM4

Go to solution Solved by Cocococo,

Yeah this has been a big controversy for Sony, wouldn't advise buying anything from them for a while. They've always sucked with reliability and frankly Samsung totally beats them in the TWS earbud market 

I have been loving my XM4s until one day. This happed, sitting alone and not charging the case popped open with a puff of smoke and smells, confused i tot to googling, (with a reddit tag otherwise no useful info) and I stumbled upon a smalll form with othes seeeming to have had the exacty same situation as me. Hard to find, and a serious danger, Seems like this one has been swept under the rug a bit... I only found out due to the fact that mine decided to explode when I wasn't looking, sony hasn't asked for a recall and chooses to to replace them with the newer xm5s because the battery manufacturer they went with cut connners. I'm just glad it didn't happen while in use like a the fellow in this fourm:

My Sony WF-1000XM4 exploded on my desk... : r/SonyHeadphones - Reddit

Sound like a Canadian class action is already in the works, and hopefully people will hear about this, I feel as if this is just going to to be a hush hush replacement until someone really gets hurt. But as for me I bought mine used, so no warranty for me. Least I got to get them signed by LS before the blew up. Hopes this sheds some light in an otherwise ignored topic. 

20240106_060258.jpg

Edited by Da Grunt
Forgot to mention

Yeah this has been a big controversy for Sony, wouldn't advise buying anything from them for a while. They've always sucked with reliability and frankly Samsung totally beats them in the TWS earbud market 

2 hours ago, Cocococo said:

Then why heck is no one talking about it? this could be a huge problem for them if the future if it's continually ignored. 🤔

2 hours ago, Da Grunt said:

Then why heck is no one talking about it? this could be a huge problem for them if the future if it's continually ignored. 🤔

People talked about it, biggest one seemed to be Louis Rossmann below, personally i couldn't care less about Sony, they've always been awful for audio. They had literal DECADES of headphones being wired with too short wires that would break solder and not play sound out of an earcup, even the $2000 usd Qualia 010 (i so badly want to play with a pair of these) had faulty wires that led to it being quickly discontinued (they inspired the Sennheiser HD800, an absolute titan in audio today)