best OS for a Home Server/Nas

the_gremlinn

sup everyone, I was wondering what would be the best OS for a home server. It is going to be accessed by 3 windows desktops, and 2 Macbooks. it will be primarily used as a Nas, but will also be used as a media server for Jellyfin. I would also like to use it as the ingest station for physical media that would be Uploaded to Jellyfin. So if anyone has some recommendations or knowledge I would appreciate it. I know That if you want to run Jellyfin on Truenas you need to use scale not core, and does anyone know if it supports running a 5.25 in drive for reading DVD's. Thanks everyone

Not sure if any nas structure supports rom drives as it primarily is for reading and writing information data, not displaying it. You'd have to dual boot it with another os which supports video/audio codecs.

15 minutes ago, the_gremlinn said:

and does anyone know if it supports running a 5.25 in drive for reading DVD's.

Scale is just linux underneath, it should support 5.25" DVD readers without issues.

9 minutes ago, abcdefghivjklmnop said:

Not sure if any nas structure supports rom drives as it primarily is for reading and writing information data, not displaying it. You'd have to dual boot it with another os which supports video/audio codecs.

TrueNAS Scale is just a linux distro meant for NAS usage, it still has all the support regular linux does.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Thank you Igor, I appreciate the info.

1 hour ago, igormp said:

Scale is just linux underneath, it should support 5.25" DVD readers without issues.

TrueNAS Scale is just a linux distro meant for NAS usage, it still has all the support regular linux does.