SMSL SU-1 + NAD C 350 -> Samsung TV

BerenElendil

Got an SMSL SU-1 for Christmas, connected it by optical to our Samsung CU7000 55 TV, into an NAD C 350 amp, then to a pair of passive bookshelf monitors. I changed the RCA inputs from the DAC to different channels on the back of the amp (CD, AUX, VIDEO, etc.) and no sound is coming out of the monitors. I plugged a pair of headphones into the amp, and only the treble frequencies transmit.

I'm worried that the DAC itself might be the issue, since -- as I was showing off the presents -- the package slipped from my fingers and dropped onto the tile floor in our house. I'll be searching for a different DAC to test if that is the issue, until then I'm hoping someone on here can provide some advice to help the situation.

The SMSL SU-1 has an optical input, which should be received by the TV's optical output.

The SMSL SU-1 has RCA OUTputs which should go to the NAD C 350 RCA INputs

The NAD C 350 has... a lot of RCA ports.

image.png.2758b1b57f0f7565f2f2ecf1bfffc9c1.png

Could you take a picture of how you have it connected?

I would have the RCA cables connected to the Aux input, but I don't think it would make a difference where you have them connected (assuming all inputs are electrically the same).

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

2 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

The SMSL SU-1 has an optical input, which should be received by the TV's optical output.

The SMSL SU-1 has RCA OUTputs which should go to the NAD C 350 RCA INputs

The NAD C 350 has... a lot of RCA ports.

image.png.2758b1b57f0f7565f2f2ecf1bfffc9c1.png

Could you take a picture of how you have it connected?

I would have the RCA cables connected to the Aux input, but I don't think it would make a difference where you have them connected (assuming all inputs are electrically the same).

I have the RCA wires plugged in the right way 'round, I'm pretty sure. I have them plugged into the CD ports, and have the amp set to CD.

Again, I'm planning to go to the store tomorrow to pick up a cheap DAC and test if the issue is there. If there's something more high-level (power balancing?) or fundamental (maybe my stuff is just too old?), let me know.

20231225_232444.jpg

20231225_231628.jpg