Static vs ramp-up AIO pump.

ivanrcks95

More of a curiosity question than anything else as ive heard mixed responses about this topic. Is it better to keep an AIO pump running at the same rate all the time, or have it ramp up with the fans? Ive personally ran my AIO pump at 50% locked all the time, with only my fans ramping up as temp goes up. This way the temps are still perfectly fine (76c max after 10min R23 on a 5800X3D, 65c or less in games), and I dont hear the pump at all, its dead silent. Ramping up the pump does help drop these temps by another 5-6c, not an insignificant amount, but then the pump gets very loud, louder than the fans. Is it worth it though? Does the pump experience any extra wear when constantly ramping up and down compared to being locked at 50% speed? Would be curious to get some extra insight. 

R7 5800X3D | XFX Merc 6900 XT Limited Black | 32gb 3200mhz CL16

6 minutes ago, NorKris said:

At what % cant u hear it at all? 60?  80?

keep the curve between 40 - * your answer *   🙂 

Anything above 50% i start to hear it, as soon as 55% its audible. My fans are dead silent even under some load, so it makes any pump noise more obvious. Thats why ive kept it locked at 50%. Is there any benefit of having it go down to 40% and ramp up to 50% instead of just having it fixed at 50%?

1 minute ago, ivanrcks95 said:

Anything above 50% i start to hear it, as soon as 55% its audible. My fans are dead silent even under some load, so it makes any pump noise more obvious. Thats why ive kept it locked at 50%. Is there any benefit of having it go down to 40% and ramp up to 50% instead of just having it fixed at 50%?

40% is a " my pc is not doing anything" type of speed  (aka idle)  while using it i would maybe go over 50

1 hour ago, ivanrcks95 said:

More of a curiosity question than anything else as ive heard mixed responses about this topic. Is it better to keep an AIO pump running at the same rate all the time, or have it ramp up with the fans? Ive personally ran my AIO pump at 50% locked all the time, with only my fans ramping up as temp goes up. This way the temps are still perfectly fine (76c max after 10min R23 on a 5800X3D, 65c or less in games), and I dont hear the pump at all, its dead silent. Ramping up the pump does help drop these temps by another 5-6c, not an insignificant amount, but then the pump gets very loud, louder than the fans. Is it worth it though? Does the pump experience any extra wear when constantly ramping up and down compared to being locked at 50% speed? Would be curious to get some extra insight. 

What's that AIO? Never had a pump louder than fans at 50% speed, mine runs 95% and I can't hear it

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

9 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

What's that AIO? Never had a pump louder than fans at 50% speed, mine runs 95% and I can't hear it

NZXT Kraken X63. Ive had it for 3 years now, and the noise it makes above 50% has been the same since day 1, so I know for sure its not a recent issue.

I run Arctic P/F fans all the way through, the case is a Lancool II Mesh Performance, so the fans, even under load, dont need to go above 50% fan speed, which is around 1040rpm based on my fan software, and at those speeds theyre dead silent. The pump makes like a humming noise above 50%, and yeah it is louder than the fans. 

Either you are noise-sensitive or that pump is crap. Leave it at whatever the highest speed is that doesn't bother you so that the pump lasts longer. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

33 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Either you are noise-sensitive or that pump is crap. Leave it at whatever the highest speed is that doesn't bother you so that the pump lasts longer. 

I decided to look into X63s online, and seems like its the crap pump part.

Pretty much every video or post I come across is people complaining about them being noisy above 60%, same exact noise mine makes. So seems like its just a noisy pump in general. Its lasted 3 years, so no reason to switch it, and if its completely silent at 50% with the temperatures under control, seems like theres no reason to leave it running faster anyway, or set up pump curves for it to ramp up/ramp down. 

5 hours ago, ivanrcks95 said:

NZXT Kraken X63. Ive had it for 3 years now, and the noise it makes above 50% has been the same since day 1, so I know for sure its not a recent issue.

I run Arctic P/F fans all the way through, the case is a Lancool II Mesh Performance, so the fans, even under load, dont need to go above 50% fan speed, which is around 1040rpm based on my fan software, and at those speeds theyre dead silent. The pump makes like a humming noise above 50%, and yeah it is louder than the fans. 

Weird..

My P14s start humming around 900rpm, my pump is constant 3200rpm no noise 😮 

Methinks your pump is defective

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

20 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Weird..

My P14s start humming around 900rpm, my pump is constant 3200rpm no noise 😮 

Methinks your pump is defective

Yeah ive heard about the Arctic hum, maybe I got lucky, but my sets of P12/P14s and F14s dont do it, or I cant hear the frequency they do it at lol

Also see the comment just above about the pump, after a quick research session, seems like its just a X63 thing, no reason to suspect its faulty if its been 3 years, I think theyre just noisy pumps in general.