PC won't boot - DRAM light on

apprehends
Go to solution Solved by apprehends,
14 hours ago, problemsolver said:

🤞 for ya mate!

$600 later and hours of diagnosis and pulling the computer apart and putting it back together...

Took the CPU back to the retailer, they tested and had same DRAM error. CPU was bricked... there's no way that is possible from shorting the ARGB header?

All replaced under warranty but now I have a spare DDR4 LGA1700 board.

Hey guys,

My PC won't boot. Current status is dram light is stuck on. I have replaced the power supply, reseated the CPU, tried different ram in each individual slot, tried booting with bare minimum components and no success. Also attempted CMOS clear.

Specs are:

14600kf

B660 proart motherboard (ddr4)

64gb ram (4x16gb)

Asus dual oc 4060

I think I accidentally shorted through the ARGB header due to using a 4 pin connector.

About to just throw another $1000 down the drain on a new motherboard and cpu...

6 minutes ago, xtDiee said:

Hey guys,

My PC won't boot. Current status is dram light is stuck on. I have replaced the power supply, reseated the CPU, tried different ram in each individual slot, tried booting with bare minimum components and no success.

Specs are:

14600kf

B660 proart motherboard (ddr4)

64gb ram (4x16gb)

Asus dual oc 4060

I think I accidentally shorted through the ARGB header due to using a 4 pin connector.

About to just throw another $1000 down the drain on a new motherboard and cpu...

Follow the guide here.

But, the first thing that comes to mind is have you cleared the CMOS (bottom third of page 14)?

There is approximately a 117% chance I edited my post.

Please refresh before you reply.

Did a post solve your issue?  Please mark it as the solution!

50 minutes ago, xtDiee said:

Apologies, a CMOS clear was also done. I've done everything found in that guide.

Just to verify, it has the same issue if one DIMM is populated in this slot (DIMM_B2)?

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.1d3d0bd54141c8961d0ae03fa88854dc.png

11 minutes ago, problemsolver said:

Just to verify, it has the same issue if one DIMM is populated in this slot (DIMM_B2)?

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.1d3d0bd54141c8961d0ae03fa88854dc.png

That’s correct, I have tried a single DIMM in each slot. I even pulled RAM from another known working system.

6 minutes ago, apprehends said:

That’s correct, I have tried a single DIMM in each slot. I even pulled RAM from another known working system.

• You can try pulling everything out of the case and testing it setting on something non-conductive like the motherboard box.
  • You can also try unplugging the power on everything and letting it sit for several hours. (I'm guessing you've already accidentally done this since everyone needs sleep.)

I'm not sure what else you can try tbh. It doesn't look like your motherboard has USB BIOS FlashBack™ (yea, Asus Trademarked it lol), so that's not something we can try

1 minute ago, problemsolver said:
  • You can try pulling everything out of the case and testing it setting on something non-conductive like the motherboard box.
  • You can also try unplugging the power on everything and letting it sit for several hours. (I'm guessing you've already accidentally done this since everyone needs sleep.)

I'm not sure what else you can try tbh. It doesn't look like your motherboard has USB BIOS FlashBack™ (yea, Asus Trademarked it lol), so that's not something we can try

Yeah, I’m AU so I’ve had my sleep now. I’ve ordered a new motherboard so will hopefully go pick that up today…

I’m just hoping it’s not my CPU…

7 minutes ago, apprehends said:

Yeah, I’m AU so I’ve had my sleep now. I’ve ordered a new motherboard so will hopefully go pick that up today…

I’m just hoping it’s not my CPU…

🤞 for ya mate!

14 hours ago, problemsolver said:

🤞 for ya mate!

$600 later and hours of diagnosis and pulling the computer apart and putting it back together...

Took the CPU back to the retailer, they tested and had same DRAM error. CPU was bricked... there's no way that is possible from shorting the ARGB header?

All replaced under warranty but now I have a spare DDR4 LGA1700 board.