Fire Stick Kodi NAS 1GB limitation?

Tehkast

Evening all,

So I'm having trouble with Kodi on my firesticks.

In the house use a optiplex 3040 as a home nas just running windows 10 (Also runs a minecraft server and remote into it to play WoW)

Shared out the SSD and 4TB Drives locally they work wonderfully when streaming to another PC or even VLC on the phone to access the files on firesticks therefore the TV's have Kodi but issue then seems to be if the file is over 1gb it wll just crash / freeze about 10 mins into the film. This happens on both wireless and wired firesticks but also used to happen when I used a Pi instead running kodi instead.

Question know is this a known limitation of Kodi and how easy is it to move to plex would that just pull info from shared local drives or does it require a full setup as a server to run on the Optiplex for example? 

Which generation was this Fire Stick belong to? The stick may become insufficient due to either poor RAM or unsupported video format, and this may more likely be the case in earlier generations with lower specs. For example, the 1st generation dating back to 2014 had an ancient Snapdragon 8064 SoC, with decoding functionality up to 1080P H.264, as well as 1GB of RAM, and it is not capable of any HEVC-encoded media.

Then tell my story about TV boxes. I had a used box (not Fire Stick) with 1GB of RAM and an Android system, and despite having full support in 4K HEVC decoding, it would crash in minutes when running Kodi or other players to play back 4K movies. Only after flashing the box with LibreELEC, a heavily cut Linux system with Kodi as its only application, could I almost get a flawless experience, although some stuttering/buffering were still encountered. Then I just gave up and replaced it with a shiny X96 X4 box, which played my movies without any hassle.

X96-X4.thumb.jpg.b2dfdc86ccd31ec4445dc014d6a234d2.jpg

Switching to Plex is fairly simple. Install the media server on Windows, and import the folder where media is stored, done!😃