DRAM QLED on boot. Does this have to do with the ram stick's version? Or is this a bios problem?

Go to solution Solved by Icbnk,

So basically what i did for any others viewing this forum, I reseated the cpu. It wasnt wrong in the first place (I'm mostly sure it wasnt) but after doing that and reseating my cpu cooler, the 2 sticks just worked. I basiclaly just took if and put it back on again and this time it worked for me. The only change I made was that i used alittle more thermal paste.

Hello guys, 

So I recently built a new computer and I have the 2 sticks in the primary slots a2/b2. When I turn it on the yellow dram qled lights up stopping the boot process. Following the manual, I visited the QVL List to check the compatibility of my ram sticks. The stick I have does show up but I noticed the version I have is different then what shows on the site [as I have ver 5.33.01]. Does the version of the ram stick matter?

I've referred to other forums saying to update bios but for that I would need to have a display which I have yet to get to. Ive tried flash bios but I'm not too sure I correctly executed that. I followed a YouTube tutorial and downloaded the latest bios for my mobo [BIOS 1402] to a correctly formatted flashdrive and used the correct usb slot. Held the button for a bit and waited for the small light to stop flashing. The tutorial guy did this before he even built his PC, even without the cpu, so I may have done something incorrectly, please let me know if I've already bricked my mobo... But even so, this didnt solve my boot problem with the yellow DRAM qled. Is this problem solvable with a lower bios version? or is their anything else I should try in regards to updating the bios?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

specs:

Intel Core i9-14900KF 3.2 GHz 24-Core Processor
Asus ROG STRIX B760-A GAMING WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory (CMK32GX5M2B5600C36)
Crucial P5 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card

attached file is "compatible memory stick" according to asus

opera_wl8HIVohvS.png

Look at the back of your IO and find the button and the usb slot for flashing the bios. you need to download the latest bios and put on the USB stick. Then insert it into the specific USB slot market for flashing the bios on your IO and press the button. No display required. You can find more info with some simple youtube search or on your motherboard's page. Good luck.

8 minutes ago, Icbnk said:

Does the version of the ram stick matter?

It's complicated. I can go into more detail if you want me to, but the TL;DR would be along the lines of it can affect the compatibility, the version your kit has is better and likely has more BIOS optimizations than the ver. 4.43.02 kit on the QVL. 

My first thought would be something isn't mounted correctly, so reseat the memory and possibly the CPU. If that doesn't work, try each stick individually in each slot as you might've gotten a CPU/motherboard with a dead memory channel, or you might've gotten a bad memory stick. 

9 minutes ago, Icbnk said:

please let me know if I've already bricked my mobo...

If you bricked the motherboard, it shouldn't be making it past the CPU LED. That's not likely the problem. It sounds like the update did work though. 

39 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

Look at the back of your IO and find the button and the usb slot for flashing the bios. you need to download the latest bios and put on the USB stick. Then insert it into the specific USB slot market for flashing the bios on your IO and press the button. No display required. You can find more info with some simple youtube search or on your motherboard's page. Good luck.

I tried this again but now the light stays on... which makes me believe its bricked now. I didn't know what to do at this point so i waited a bit and then pulled the drive once nothing happened, what should i have done if that was wrong?

38 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you bricked the motherboard, it shouldn't be making it past the CPU LED. That's not likely the problem. It sounds like the update did work though. 

it still gets past the CPU light on boot up though so maybe I haven't? 

if i can get confirmation that its not totally bricked ill continue on and reseat my parts (cpu and sticks)

1 hour ago, Icbnk said:

it still gets past the CPU light on boot up though so maybe I haven't? 

Yeah, if it still is hitting the RAM light the BIOS isn't the issue. What probably happened is ASUS has a check in place where if the BIOS revision on the flash drive is the same as the revision currently on the board, it won't let you update. 

So basically what i did for any others viewing this forum, I reseated the cpu. It wasnt wrong in the first place (I'm mostly sure it wasnt) but after doing that and reseating my cpu cooler, the 2 sticks just worked. I basiclaly just took if and put it back on again and this time it worked for me. The only change I made was that i used alittle more thermal paste.