Help with a first NAS build

Hp_crafter

I currently own a WD My Cloud Home that runs PLEX on it however it keeps failing and generally stopping. I'd also like to not have to leave my PC on to be able to download the media through programs such as Sonarr, Radarr etc. 

I've wanted to build a custom NAS for a while so I'm finally going to do it over Christmas when I have plenty of free time. Its main function would be running PLEX and various downloading programs. I might need to transcode on PLEX, however not a huge amount as most of my clients can play the majority of my content natively. I will also likely use it to run game servers such as Minecraft from time to time. It's very unlikely that I'll use it to store personal videos/photos/files as I already have oneDrive for that. 

This will be my first PC build and any support anyone can give me around what components I've over-specced and what I need to improve would be greatly appreciated. My budget is around £500 including the storage.

I've already got an old 200W power supply from my old PC and a space 250GB SSD to use as a boot drive, so I don't need to get any of that.

The PC Part picker link is here - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/J3PbTY

Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

Looks like a good start to me!

You might want to price out a 32 gig RAM kit. Minecraft servers can get RAM-hungry.

Do you have room in your budget for a used Ryzen 5600G instead? The 4600G will be plenty, but a 5600G would be a 15% to 20% speed bump.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

4 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Looks like a good start to me!

You might want to price out a 32 gig RAM kit. Minecraft servers can get RAM-hungry.

Do you have room in your budget for a used Ryzen 5600G instead? The 4600G will be plenty, but a 5600G would be a 15% to 20% speed bump.

It'll only be a small vanilla server for me and a few friends. 8GB should be more than enough for it so 16GB overall should be fine. 

The suggestion for the 5600G is a really great one though. Thanks for that. 

When I put your parts into a PSU wattage calculator (such as this one from newegg) it gives a recommended wattage of 330 watts, while I think these calculators tend to have a healthy bit of headroom on them you may want to be careful especially if your PSU isn't of the highest quality it may not like running near the top end of it's specification for long.

13 hours ago, FredyBobJoe said:

When I put your parts into a PSU wattage calculator (such as this one from newegg) it gives a recommended wattage of 330 watts, while I think these calculators tend to have a healthy bit of headroom on them you may want to be careful especially if your PSU isn't of the highest quality it may not like running near the top end of it's specification for long.

I just checked the psi I've got and it's 450W not 200W like I first thought. Also, in PC part picker its got the estimated wattage at under 200W. Is this inaccurate? 

22 minutes ago, Hp_crafter said:

I just checked the psi I've got and it's 450W not 200W like I first thought. Also, in PC part picker its got the estimated wattage at under 200W. Is this inaccurate? 

That is likely pretty accurate but it would mean you have very little room for error with a 200w psu this can be fine but remember that there are things like fans or temporary power spikes (such as seen in many modern GPUs) that can put you over that number. Having a good quality GPU mitigates this. This is mostly a side note now if you have a 450w PSU then you will be absolutely fine.

TLDR:

PCPartPicker is estimating power usage not giving a recommendation for a PSU, add some extra headroom for safety.