Games crash to desktop on new pc with no errors whatsoever

Go to solution Solved by Jon-Slow,
43 minutes ago, BlueZ95 said:

Yesterday I did what you told me, I tried 2 8gb stick from a friend and everything worked without problem, not only that, but I tried my rams on his cpu and the same games that I list here and other games that he plays worked just fine, no crashes or weird behaviour.
We test all rams (His and mine) on my computer and again, no crash.
But when I put my rams on my pc again, the same damn problem arise again, I just can't seem to get it to work.
I did realize both rams are working at 1.2V, and they can work at 1.35V, is it smart to up the voltage, or at this point the problem is the CPU?

The only thing left to try is to reduce clock speeds on the Ryzen which I don't even know how to do.

I'm slowly losing it hahaha

Edit: typos

RAM compatibility is a known issue with some Ryzen CPUs. And it seems like this is what you're experiencing. If the other sticks of RAMs worked, and if a bios update has not fixed the problem, then maybe it's time to grab some other kit of used ram for a cheap price and call it a day since your friend's RAM sticks worked fine for you.

Hey guys, maybe you can help me with this problem, I'm starting to lose my mind over this

- Ryzen 7 5700g with Noctua NH-U12S Redux
- Nvidia Gtx 1660 Super 6gb from Gigabyte
- Msi b450 Gaming plus max
- Corsair vengeance 16gb rs (2x8) 3600mhz
- Thermaltake Smartlite 500w 80+ white
- Thermaltake H700 tg snow

Every game crashes to desktop (no error code, no black screen, no blue screen, the game just closes) after like 1 minute, or the game keeps playing but the image just freeze (The game is playable while this happens). Sometimes it runs for like 10 to 15 minutes, but it always crash. This is from more modern games like Nier Automata, Final Fantasy XV to less demanding games like Hollow Knight or Ori and the Blind Forest.

I've tried:
- Updating the BIOS
- Disabling the onboard graphics
- Restricted the PBO frequencies (Precision Boost Overdrive) in some cases this option goes over the limit of the cpu, and leds to the crash (This guy who seems to have the same problem explains it much better)
- Reseating the gpu and the ram
- Run memtest64 (pass)
- Updating and installing older versions of Nvidia Drivers
- Using HDMI and DisplayPort
- Reinstall W11
- Install W10
- Reinstalling Games

As a side note, I've run furmark with anti-aliasing off and no problems, but when running it with 8x MSAA Furmark crashed in like 3 seconds

Thermals seems fine, maxing out to 65°-70°.

I think it might be the psu (Which is low, I know), but it's such a mix of weird crashes and freezes and I'm 99% sure that a faulty psu would not crash a game, it would turn off the pc direclty.
Might be a combination of both psu and graphics card? Where the gpu is not receiving the power it needs to run on heavy load? That would explain the crashes on heavy demanding games, but on low demanding games too? I just don't know

Any ideas on what it could be?
Thanks in advance!!

Sounds like an unstable system. I doubt it has anything to do with your graphics card so your furmark tests are not very useful. Have you tried Cinebench or prime95? Try Cinebench and see how quickly you crash, you'd probably crash in less than 2min. You need to reset your bios to default settings after that. This could be any number of things but most likely your RAM or CPU is unstable at whatever settings they operate at.

10 minutes ago, BlueZ95 said:

- Reinstall W11

Was this done with a fresh install from a USB stick?

Try syncing up your time. It may sound dumb but some games  will crash if your time isn't synced up properly

4 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

Sounds like an unstable system. I doubt it has anything to do with your graphics card so your furmark tests are not very useful. Have you tried Cinebench or prime95? Try Cinebench and see how quickly you crash, you'd probably crash in less than 2min. You need to reset your bios to default settings after that. This could be any number of things but most likely your RAM or CPU is unstable at whatever settings they operate at.

Yes, it was a fresh install from a usb stick, I'll try Cinebench or prime95

3 minutes ago, ARandomPerson said:

Try syncing up your time. It may sound dumb but some games  will crash if your time isn't synced up properly

It is synced up

Couple suggestions.

1. Try setting your RAM down to 3200 or 3000 mhz.

2. Use MSI afterburner, or similar, to set your GPU power target to 80 or 90%
EDIT: #3 try a different(better) cable to your monitor, and maybe a different monitor if you have one. (sounds crazy, but cables have screwed me in weird ways before)

25 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

As you said Cinebench crashed in under 2 minutes, I reset my bios to default and try FFXV but it crashed when I loaded a game

21 minutes ago, Aaron_T said:

Couple suggestions.

1. Try setting your RAM down to 3200 or 3000 mhz.

2. Use MSI afterburner, or similar, to set your GPU power target to 80 or 90%
EDIT: #3 try a different(better) cable to your monitor, and maybe a different monitor if you have one. (sounds crazy, but cables have screwed me in weird ways before)

It was already at 3200mhz (My first thought was that too), now I'm running it at 2133mhz but it still crashes
Gonna try the msi thing. EDIT: never used afterburner, with power target you refer to this? 

image.png.dc9aaec951f7d2d7e31662a118f7e574.png

I dont think it is the 3rd, but hey I'll try it for the lols

1 hour ago, Aaron_T said:

You should also have a look in the windows event viewer when the issue ocures: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/shows/inside/event-viewer

There is a good chance an error will appear here, even if a pop up isn't shown to the user.

According to the event viewer, the errors seems to be a mix between this code: 0xc0000005 and this code: 0xc0000409, I've seen the one that ends on 5, and it could be a ram issue, but thats the thing, those two codes appear on the same application on different times

2 hours ago, BlueZ95 said:

As you said Cinebench crashed in under 2 minutes, I reset my bios to default and try FFXV but it crashed when I loaded a game

2 hours ago, BlueZ95 said:

Gonna try the msi thing. EDIT: never used afterburner, with power target you refer to this? 

Forget about messing with the GPU at this point, just reset it to default and don't even run Afterburner. The problem is non-gpu related when Cinebench crashes in under 2min. It's general system stability that you need to achieve. You have to narrow this down to if the problem is hardware or software. Your Ryzen CPU might have a typical compatibility problem. switch your bios to default and don't use any XMP/EXPO profiles. If you still crash, then try to lower your CPU clock speed slightly a few times and see if you still crash in Cinebench. If you get to a point where the CPU is not even getting very hot with Cinebench but you still crash, then you need to look deeper. Try with only one stick of RAM while doing all tests and let the RAMs to default to their min speed.  Try a different RAM stick if you have any available. If you still crash then try your CPU in someone else's PC.

Do a 2min Cinebench run and if you don't crash then let it run a full cycle. If it doesn't crash then you wont crash in games. Other things you can try are Prime95 CPU and ram test. Also running MemTest86 off of a USB stick to to a full check up on your memory sticks. If everything fails, you'll need spare parts to switch your parts with to see at which point your problem gets resolved. A possible hardware issue must be between your CPU, MOBO, RAM

7 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

Forget about messing with the GPU at this point, just reset it to default and don't even run Afterburner. The problem is non-gpu related when Cinebench crashes in under 2min. It's general system stability that you need to achieve. You have to narrow this down to if the problem is hardware or software. Your Ryzen CPU might have a typical compatibility problem. switch your bios to default and don't use any XMP/EXPO profiles. If you still crash, then try to lower your CPU clock speed slightly a few times and see if you still crash in Cinebench. If you get to a point where the CPU is not even getting very hot with Cinebench but you still crash, then you need to look deeper. Try with only one stick of RAM while doing all tests and let the RAMs to default to their min speed.  Try a different RAM stick if you have any available. If you still crash then try your CPU in someone else's PC.

Do a 2min Cinebench run and if you don't crash then let it run a full cycle. If it doesn't crash then you wont crash in games. Other things you can try are Prime95 CPU and ram test. Also running MemTest86 off of a USB stick to to a full check up on your memory sticks. If everything fails, you'll need spare parts to switch your parts with to see at which point your problem gets resolved. A possible hardware issue must be between your CPU, MOBO, RAM

Ok, got it
How do I reduce my clock speeds in BIOS? Never really play with those settings

Thanks for all the help!!

one of the worst psus you could get. replace it ASAP.

also the ram is problematic,  to say the least, you should get Samsung b-dies instead to avoid compatibility issues. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

one of the worst psus you could get. replace it ASAP.

also the ram is problematic,  to say the least, you should get Samsung b-dies instead to avoid compatibility issues. 

Oh, thanks for the suggestions! Sadly I live in a country where anything remotely good is really, really expensive, this is as good as I could get

On 12/11/2023 at 2:15 AM, Jon-Slow said:

Ok, I tried only one stick of ram and everything worked flawlessly, not a single crash on any game or Cinebench and when switching to the other stick it crashed inmediatly, but memtest86 tells me, after running a full test, that both sticks work just fine.

Could be something else in there? Because Windows works just fine, not a problem at all

EDIT: Both rams are working at 2133mhz, which is their minimum

11 minutes ago, BlueZ95 said:

Ok, I tried only one stick of ram and everything worked flawlessly, not a single crash on any game or Cinebench and when switching to the other stick it crashed inmediatly, but memtest86 tells me, after running a full test, that both sticks work just fine.

Could be something else in there? Because Windows works just fine, not a problem at all

EDIT: Both rams are working at 2133mhz, which is their minimum

RAMs and CPU work together, if the memtest86 says it's okay but you still crash with that one stick in then there could still be some sort of issue that is not being detected by the software. But also in my experience I have seen these stuff happen with Ryzen CPUs. I would say, try a new kit but don't rush to purchase one. Just borrow from a friend if you can just to see if they work right in your PC. If it came to buying a new kit then just buy used and don't go for brand new ones.

On 12/12/2023 at 2:53 AM, Jon-Slow said:

RAMs and CPU work together, if the memtest86 says it's okay but you still crash with that one stick in then there could still be some sort of issue that is not being detected by the software. But also in my experience I have seen these stuff happen with Ryzen CPUs. I would say, try a new kit but don't rush to purchase one. Just borrow from a friend if you can just to see if they work right in your PC. If it came to buying a new kit then just buy used and don't go for brand new ones.

Yesterday I did what you told me, I tried 2 8gb stick from a friend and everything worked without problem, not only that, but I tried my rams on his cpu and the same games that I list here and other games that he plays worked just fine, no crashes or weird behaviour.
But when I put my rams on my pc again, the same damn problem arise again, I just can't seem to get it to work.
I did realize both rams are working at 1.2V, and they can work at 1.35V, is it smart to up the voltage, or at this point the problem is the CPU?

The only thing left to try is to reduce clock speeds on the Ryzen which I don't even know how to do.

43 minutes ago, BlueZ95 said:

RAM compatibility is a known issue with some Ryzen CPUs. And it seems like this is what you're experiencing. If the other sticks of RAMs worked, and if a bios update has not fixed the problem, then maybe it's time to grab some other kit of used ram for a cheap price and call it a day since your friend's RAM sticks worked fine for you.

21 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

I would agree if two sticks were giving me this problem, but only one does, not only that but when I tried 4 sticks it never gave me a crash.
Anything else that might be?

4 minutes ago, BlueZ95 said:

I would agree if two sticks were giving me this problem, but only one does, not only that but when I tried 4 sticks it never gave me a crash.
Anything else that might be?

I think you said that if you plug any of your single sticks, it works fine but if you plug them in together they fail. That is still a compatibility problem as it sounds like. If anything, they should default to the lowest speed and work together, or one should remain off while the other works. But what you're getting seems to be that they just refuse to work together. There is not much you can do beyond a bios update, you could try different timings too. But at the end of the day, your time might be better spent just getting new ones and potentially put these up for sale. Used DDR4 is not expensive.

9 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

I think you said that if you plug any of your single sticks, it works fine but if you plug them in together they fail. That is still a compatibility problem as it sounds like. If anything, they should default to the lowest speed and work together, or one should remain off while the other works. But what you're getting seems to be that they just refuse to work together. There is not much you can do beyond a bios update, you could try different timings too. But at the end of the day, your time might be better spent just getting new ones and potentially put these up for sale. Used DDR4 is not expensive.

Yeah, and when I tried two sticks from a friend and my two sticks together, it didn't crash. That is why I keep asking, because 2 crash but 4 doesn't?
It is just weird

• 3 months later...

Hey, so I want to give some updates on this and closure as well, I ended up buying two new sticks, and it worked flawlessly. Thanks for all the help!!

On 12/17/2023 at 10:21 PM, Jon-Slow said: