Paranoid? ProtonMail launched on last Friday

TAK

So, there is a new end-to-end encrypted email service out there, it's called ProtonMail and it's went to open beta last Friday and already they've had to halt signups due to demand.

Their bullet points for why use it:

-Swiss based, they have very strict privacy laws.

-Zero access, they can't read your mail, as it's fully encrypted. This also means no one else can read it, unless you give them the password.

-Forever free, but they are implementing premium features in the future.

-Fully anonymous, they don't track you in any way.

-Cross platform, of course since it's a service on the web.

Anyway, read more here: https://protonmail.ch/

More details on their security features: https://protonmail.ch/pages/security_details.php

security.png

IMO people who really need that level of security don't outsource these kind of things. I might be wrong though :P

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

To me it's way more about the other stuff, no ads and no tracking for some demographic BS.

Wow that design looks really sleek i might have to make an account.

To me it's way more about the other stuff, no ads and no tracking for some demographic BS.

You can use an offline messenger if you really hate ads.

You can use an offline messenger if you really hate ads.

It's not the ads themselves, I got AdBlock Plus, so I don't even see them. It's the fact that my usage is calculated for some demographic BS that I will never fit into. I am not here for your marketing department to put $$ signs on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J14O05N4g2A

It's not the ads themselves, I got AdBlock Plus, so I don't even see them. It's the fact that my usage is calculated for some demographic BS that I will never fit into. I am not here for your marketing department to put $$ signs on me.

*video*

I see your point. But I personally don't mind if they collect data about my usage (not read my friggin' letters), as long as it doesn't interfere.

Tell us about your experience with them later.

P.S. That's a nice video, but I still enjoy Dara O'Brien more :)

This will be the future of email, but just as always, some prick will come along and figure a way to hack it, as usual. Still, will be great!

Only signed up yesterday, but I'll let you know how it goes.

Really like the design, it's really simple and clean, just email and nothing more. Preferences are very simple, which fits me just fine. I don't use my mail for business or other silly stuff like that, so most Gmail options are wasted on me and I also don't need integrated calendars and all other stuff Gmail uses to collect your personal data with.

Anyway, tomorrow I might have more time to write a bit more about the service.

As for Bill Hicks vs Dara O'Brien, different strokes and all that. Tho I do enjoy Dara too, Bill Hicks was a God, like Eric Clapton is a God.

This will be the future of email, but just as always, some prick will come along and figure a way to hack it, as usual. Still, will be great!

And what if they do?

There is no way to decrypt anything without your password and that is not stored anywhere on ProtonMail's servers... Well, your login obviously is, but not the _second_ password to decrypt your mail. Now of course if you set a weak password... Also, the decryption password can't be changed, ever, so take care with that one.