Plex Server Reccomendations

Max853lolz

Hello! I have a pc with 16gb of ram, a gt1030, and an intel Xeon cpu. It’s relatively old but I’m just wondering the capabilities of the system as a plex server? I would preferably want 1080p video with a music server on plex as well. I would barely be using subtitles. TLDR: Would my system work for my requirements, and should I install Linux?

Hi, i think you should go on linux as your PC is quite old and therefore not that powerful, you can only get benefits for using a a less ressource intensive linux OS if you don't mind the increased complexity.

For Plex in particular, it can be quite CPU intensive if you're using transcoding, so it will greatly depend on the performance on your CPU.
I never experienced issues running it on a i5 4600k which is also a quite old processor, but i don't know how to compares to yours.

Config:

CPU : i5 9600k 4.9Ghz OC

Cooler : NZXT kraken z73

RAM : Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2x16GB 3200Mhz Cl16

Motherboard : TUF Z390 Plus Gaming

GPU : 2080Ti FE

Case: BeQuiet! Dark Base 700

24 minutes ago, HugoBoss1000 said:

Hi, i think you should go on linux as your PC is quite old and therefore not that powerful, you can only get benefits for using a a less ressource intensive linux OS if you don't mind the increased complexity.

For Plex in particular, it can be quite CPU intensive if you're using transcoding, so it will greatly depend on the performance on your CPU.
I never experienced issues running it on a i5 4600k which is also a quite old processor, but i don't know how to compares to yours.

How can you tell it is "relatively" old based on his description? Intel xeon could be as recent as this gen, gt1030 is still sold new, 16gb of ram could be ddr5.

52 minutes ago, Max853lolz said:

Hello! I have a pc with 16gb of ram, a gt1030, and an intel Xeon cpu. It’s relatively old but I’m just wondering the capabilities of the system as a plex server? I would preferably want 1080p video with a music server on plex as well. I would barely be using subtitles. TLDR: Would my system work for my requirements, and should I install Linux?

You need to be more specific with the hardware. What xeon is it?

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

How can you tell it is "relatively" old based on his description? Intel xeon could be as recent as this gen, gt1030 is still sold new, 16gb of ram could be ddr5.

You need to be more specific with the hardware. What xeon is it?

Intel Xeon processor E3-1200 v3 family Is all I could gather and it is ddr4 ram

1 hour ago, HugoBoss1000 said:

I have a Intel Xeon processor E3-1200 v3 family

5 minutes ago, Max853lolz said:

Intel Xeon processor E3-1200 v3 family Is all I could gather and it is ddr4 ram

Which chip specifically? Regardless, that will be more than fine for plex.

If your CPU doesn't have integrated graphics, I'd recommend picking up one that does and swapping it in, then removing the GT 1030. (The 1030 doesn't support NVENC, so it's not going to help you in Plex. The integrated graphics in that generation support Quick Sync, which Plex can use for encoding if you have a Plex Pass subscription.) If you do have integrated graphics, pull the GT 1030 anyway. It's just eating up (a little) power and some PCIe lanes.

Here are all the Xeon processors in that family:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Xeon_processors_(Haswell-based)#Xeon_E3-12xx_v3_(uniprocessor)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Just a current update:

The pc that I have is an hp z220 workstation with an upgraded 1030 for graphics. As far as i know the cpu wihich i have now confirmed is a Intel Xeon processor E3-1290v2, 3.70/4.1 GHz, 87 W, 8MB cache, 1600 MHz, Quad-Core, HT, featuring Intel vPro Technology

So now the question is:

What linux distro should i use and how should i configure plex?

Thank you all for your help :)

3 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

If your CPU doesn't have integrated graphics, I'd recommend picking up one that does and swapping it in, then removing the GT 1030. (The 1030 doesn't support NVENC, so it's not going to help you in Plex. The integrated graphics in that generation support Quick Sync, which Plex can use for encoding if you have a Plex Pass subscription.) If you do have integrated graphics, pull the GT 1030 anyway. It's just eating up (a little) power and some PCIe lanes.

Here are all the Xeon processors in that family:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Xeon_processors_(Haswell-based)#Xeon_E3-12xx_v3_(uniprocessor)

Slight thread hijack - what would be the minimum non-integrated GPU requirement for NVENC?

7 hours ago, Max853lolz said:

Just a current update:

The pc that I have is an hp z220 workstation with an upgraded 1030 for graphics. As far as i know the cpu wihich i have now confirmed is a Intel Xeon processor E3-1290v2, 3.70/4.1 GHz, 87 W, 8MB cache, 1600 MHz, Quad-Core, HT, featuring Intel vPro Technology

So now the question is:

What linux distro should i use and how should i configure plex?

Thank you all for your help 🙂

This build should be virtually capable of a Plex server, or even some sort of soft transcoding, but not hardware transcoding. As aforementioned, the GT 1030 GPU is not capable of encoding, and would therefore be not that useful for Plex. The least required GPUs with functionality of 4K HEVC transcoding are GTX 1050 and Quadro P400.

Also noted is that neither Xeon v3 nor DDR4 RAM would fit this build (having rather Xeon E3 v1/v2 & DDR3 supported), so don't expect much room for upgrading.

Any Linux distro with proper drivers & Plex installed would suffice, such as dedicated NAS systems like TrueNAS Scale & Unraid, or general ones like Ubuntu, Debian, or a custom Arch Linux build. Even Windows could be considered as it's fairly straightforward to use for newcomers, with drivers & Plex ready & stable, although it may consume more resources by its own. It depends on you anyway.☺️