New Build Issues Getting to Boot from USB

Vek1313

Hi,

I just put a new build together. 13900k with an ASUS STRIX 790-E mobo. I tried powering on to setup BIOS and prepare for boot. First power on got to BIOS. All I needed to change was XMP on. CSM, TPM, SecureBoot, etc. were all properly configured for Win11 and USB boot was enabled. (Side note, BIOS sees my m.2 drives but I am not allowed to select any of them for boot order or priority.) So after saving XMP on, I saved changes and restarted. On boot then, it never got to a display and the Q-Code light signaled DRAM issue. I took out both sticks (G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory is the kit I have) and reseated just 1 stick. I was able to get back to the BIOS like this. I disabled XMP for the time being just hoping that would help with stability. I then saved and shut off, reseated the second stick and got a boot to BIOS. Before doing so, I got a "CPU temp over limit press F1 to enter BIOS." In BIOS it says 85-88 degrees Celsius. I know 13900ks run hot and I figured to expect for higher temps in BIOS. Once I am in BIOS, the Q-Code on the mobo says 98 (on first boot was A9, but now we're consistently at 98 each time I try.) I found 98 to be an issue of unplug a keyboard or mouse but also could require reseating CPU cooler, GPU, and RAM. On the final power down I just did, I turned off the PSU and then removed the power cable. I felt the tubes for the AIO (Corsair H150i Elite LCD XT 360MM) and they were indeed very hot. I've verified all my connections. I have 10 Lian Li UNI FAN SL V2s including on the AIO for uniformity. The 3 on the AIO are daisy chained and plugged into the CPU fan header and the pump is plugged into the AIO Pump header. The rest of the fans in the case are connected to the Lian Li controller hub. Does anyone have any recommendations before I decide to just reseat the CPU cooler and needing to clean the CPU and pump applying new thermal paste? I haven't fully tested the 98 code with the keyboard and mouse yet, but I also have concerns of even turning on again with how hot the CPU is running. The keyboard and mouse are both Corsair with the mouse plugged into the extra usb on the keyboard itself, which is my theory for the error even though input from both the mouse and keyboard are recognized while in BIOS. Thanks for any help! Happy to attach any pictures if anyone thinks something specific to see can assist more I've tried to be as descriptive as possible.

Sounds like pump is having major issues, or you arent making proper contact with the CPU. it should not be getting above 55 in bios if the AIO is properly functioning. Id say it should be 28-37c at all times in bios if properly connected but some of them are a bit wonky.

did you buy a Contact frame for the mobo/cpu socket?

7 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Sounds like pump is having major issues, or you arent making proper contact with the CPU. it should not be getting above 55 in bios if the AIO is properly functioning. Id say it should be 28-37c at all times in bios if properly connected but some of them are a bit wonky.

I used the backplate that came with the AIO and the proper mounting bracket was preinstalled on the pump. I made sure to go screw by screw a little at a time trying to evenly distribute the pressure as it screws in and screwed to a point that it would not turn anymore without extreme pressure. The LCD display has a red triangle error on it but I chalked that up in my head to not having the iCUE software installed (obviously) for it to have a display. The tubes themselves were hot so I *think* it would be running. Or would this be a defective pump? I can also take a picture to show what it looks like installed if that helps any? Best solution to apply new thermal paste after clearing and reseating the pump?

You can always try setting the AIO fans to 100% in the BIOS. This is not ideal but if it allows you to set properly your computer, this is something easy to switch back off later.

If the AIO tubes were very hot, they were probably doing their job with cooling the CPU but the heat wasn't going away fast enough with the radiator and the fans. Did you feel the radiator for its temp ?

3 minutes ago, Sawa Takahashi said:

You can always try setting the AIO fans to 100% in the BIOS. This is not ideal but if it allows you to set properly your computer, this is something easy to switch back off later.

If the AIO tubes were very hot, they were probably doing their job with cooling the CPU but the heat wasn't going away fast enough with the radiator and the fans. Did you feel the radiator for its temp ?

So I did try turning all fans to max. One thing I know I have to fix is the direction of the fans. I was mixed up without any labeling from Lian Li of air flow direction. But I could still feel them moving air. That didn't feel too hot. I never tried feeling the radiator because I had the top panel on still. I felt the metal side of it right after my last shut down and didn't feel heat there. Seems like a reseating would be the best thing for the temp and then narrowing down the 98 Q-code issue?

22 minutes ago, Vek1313 said:

I felt the metal side of it right after my last shut down and didn't feel heat there.

IF there was no heat in the radiator but there was heat in the tubes, your pump is not doing its job. Be sure that the pump is running and that the pump header is properly connected. Then try booting up again. If any of the tubes is getting hot, the radiator should become hot too and hot air should be expelled by the fans.

On 12/8/2023 at 1:25 PM, Sawa Takahashi said:

IF there was no heat in the radiator but there was heat in the tubes, your pump is not doing its job. Be sure that the pump is running and that the pump header is properly connected. Then try booting up again. If any of the tubes is getting hot, the radiator should become hot too and hot air should be expelled by the fans.

On 12/8/2023 at 12:36 PM, Shimejii said:

Addressing both of you for more help, I’ve attached pictures what my CPU/AIO block looked like now that I’ve had time to dive back into my build. The block was definitely not making full contact with the CPU especially middle middle of the CPU. Would this be an issue of needing to adjust the included AIO backplate screw positions, or would I need to get a contact frame to assure proper contact with the CPU?

IMG_3494.jpeg

IMG_3493.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Vek1313 said:

Addressing both of you for more help, I’ve attached pictures what my CPU/AIO block looked like now that I’ve had time to dive back into my build. The block was definitely not making full contact with the CPU especially middle middle of the CPU. Would this be an issue of needing to adjust the included AIO backplate screw positions, or would I need to get a contact frame to assure proper contact with the CPU?

IMG_3494.jpeg

IMG_3493.jpeg

Strange heatsink plate you got on the aio. It must be a new design.

5 hours ago, Vek1313 said:

Would this be an issue of needing to adjust the included AIO backplate screw positions, or would I need to get a contact frame to assure proper contact with the CPU?

I believe the contact frame is the easiest solution. In theory, you can adjust the screws to obtain a flat surface but it requires so much fine tuning and mounting/dismounting the CPU block that it is cheaper and less risky to use a contact frame to begin with.

7 minutes ago, Sawa Takahashi said:

I believe the contact frame is the easiest solution. In theory, you can adjust the screws to obtain a flat surface but it requires so much fine tuning and mounting/dismounting the CPU block that it is cheaper and less risky to use a contact frame to begin with.

Thanks! I’ve placed an order for a contact frame that should be delivered Tuesday. I’ll update then!

On 12/11/2023 at 1:16 AM, Sawa Takahashi said:

On 12/8/2023 at 12:36 PM, Shimejii said:

So I have installed the contact frame, applied fresh thermal paste, and tried to boot after verifying all connections again. Temps quickly climbed right back to the 88C as before and the core voltage began to drop to what I saw before. I have resolved the Q Code 98 and now am receiving the Q Code A9 (which I believe is okay and no actual issues in reference to this post: 

)

Everything is functioning and recognized in the BIOS. All 3 m.2s, all RAM, my GPU, all fans spinning, etc. Oddly enough, the AIO tubes were not getting hot this time like they did last time, and the radiator was not hot either but I felt the fans blowing air through it. The fans daisy chained on the radiator are plugged into CPU Fan on the mobo and the pump is in AIO cooler for reference. Is this for sure a defective AIO, or would this be a BIOS error or something like a CMOS battery even though it's a brand new board? Looking for any additional insight because I want to file a replacement as soon as possible if we can rule a defective cooler. Thanks! 

IMG_3499.jpg

IMG_3500.jpg

IMG_3501.jpg

IMG_3502.jpg

15 minutes ago, Vek1313 said:

So I have installed the contact frame, applied fresh thermal paste, and tried to boot after verifying all connections again. Temps quickly climbed right back to the 88C as before and the core voltage began to drop to what I saw before. I have resolved the Q Code 98 and now am receiving the Q Code A9 (which I believe is okay and no actual issues in reference to this post: 

According to your pictures, your BIOS is reporting that your AIO pump is not plugged. That would explain why your CPU temp is climbing so fast while your tubes and radiator are cold. On the other hand, your BIOS reports that you have a CPU fan plugged in. At least, your AIO seems to be mounted correctly with proper contact since your computer is booting normally now. The problem is the CPU running too hot and throttling.

First, make sure that all you cables for the AIO pump, fans and RGB are connected and in the right headers. Refer to your user manual as needed. Second, check the BIOS to make sure the AIO pump header is enabled. You can also test the pump by plugging it directly into the power supply instead of the motherboard header. Do you have an adapter for Molex or SATA power to AIO pump ? Some AIOs come with one such adapter. Alternatively, you can test your AIO in another computer.

Good luck !

1 hour ago, Sawa Takahashi said:

According to your pictures, your BIOS is reporting that your AIO pump is not plugged. That would explain why your CPU temp is climbing so fast while your tubes and radiator are cold. On the other hand, your BIOS reports that you have a CPU fan plugged in. At least, your AIO seems to be mounted correctly with proper contact since your computer is booting normally now. The problem is the CPU running too hot and throttling.

First, make sure that all you cables for the AIO pump, fans and RGB are connected and in the right headers. Refer to your user manual as needed. Second, check the BIOS to make sure the AIO pump header is enabled. You can also test the pump by plugging it directly into the power supply instead of the motherboard header. Do you have an adapter for Molex or SATA power to AIO pump ? Some AIOs come with one such adapter. Alternatively, you can test your AIO in another computer.

Good luck !

I have plugged the 3 pin pump connector into every possible option on the motherboard with the exception of CPU_FAN, and I have still had no luck with it actually running. My cooler is Corsair but my fans are Lian Li daisychained. So the fans are powered from CPU_FAN and then I have plugged the 3 pin into AIO_PUMP with no luck. The only thing of the AIO that is not plugged in is the connector for the fan controller which I am not using since I am using Lian Li fans and the controller that comes with their fans. I do not have a Molex or SATA adapter for the AIO pump. Where do I go in the BIOS to insure the AIO_PUMP header is enabled?

10 hours ago, Vek1313 said:

Where do I go in the BIOS to insure the AIO_PUMP header is enabled?

Each BIOS is different so I cannot tell you exactly where the option is located. But you should find it in Fan Control (advanced mode preferably). Note that your BIOS may not have an option to disable headers.

10 hours ago, Vek1313 said:

I have plugged the 3 pin pump connector into every possible option on the motherboard with the exception of CPU_FAN, and I have still had no luck with it actually running. My cooler is Corsair but my fans are Lian Li daisychained. So the fans are powered from CPU_FAN and then I have plugged the 3 pin into AIO_PUMP with no luck.

Since the AIO is not working anyway, maybe you can try plugging your fans into a chassis header and the AIO in the CPU Fan header ? If the pump is still not working, I fear that your AIO pump is defective.

On 12/13/2023 at 9:45 AM, Sawa Takahashi said:

Each BIOS is different so I cannot tell you exactly where the option is located. But you should find it in Fan Control (advanced mode preferably). Note that your BIOS may not have an option to disable headers.

Since the AIO is not working anyway, maybe you can try plugging your fans into a chassis header and the AIO in the CPU Fan header ? If the pump is still not working, I fear that your AIO pump is defective.

It was a defective pump. I ordered a replacement that I just installed and right away worked. BIOS CPU temps topping out at 35C.

21 minutes ago, Vek1313 said:

It was a defective pump. I ordered a replacement that I just installed and right away worked. BIOS CPU temps topping out at 35C.

Wonderful news !

Happy computer build 🙂