Is this bad?

No it's not, and that screw is way too long to be used directly, it's longer because it's supposed to go through the mobo heatsink. Maybe there's a short one to use directly in a bag.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

No it's not, and that screw is way too long to be used directly, it's longer because it's supposed to go through the mobo heatsink. Maybe there's a short one to use directly in a bag.

This is the defualt screw that came pre installed on the mobo, and no other screw came with the m.2 or the mobo 😞

What exact motherboard is that? It appears there is one of those EZ clip's you're supposed to be using.

54 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

What exact motherboard is that? It appears there is one of those EZ clip's you're supposed to be using.

This is Asus rog strix b650-a 

56 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

And i don't think that's the case because there isn't something you can clip down on the ruber thing around the spacer, its just the long m.2 screw that was holding the original shield in place that I removed in order to install the m.2

4 minutes ago, StoryVFX said:

And i don't think that's the case because there isn't something you can clip down on the ruber thing around the spacer, its just the long m.2 screw that was

holding the original shield in place that I removed in order to install the m.2

That's M.2_2. Full Q-Latch support and that slot also has a heatsink which is why that screw is so long. You're not using the slot as it was intended at all.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Socket AM5/ROG STRIX B650-A GAMING WIFI/E20268_ROG_STRIX_B650-A_GAMING_WIFI_UM_WEB.pdf?model=ROG STRIX B650-A GAMING WIFI

image.png.88f8107f40b14d7ce6e11b1e5a135582.png

20 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

That's M.2_2. Full Q-Latch support and that slot also has a heatsink which is why that screw is so long. You're not using the slot as it was intended at all.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Socket AM5/ROG STRIX B650-A GAMING WIFI/E20268_ROG_STRIX_B650-A_GAMING_WIFI_UM_WEB.pdf?model=ROG STRIX B650-A GAMING WIFI

image.png.88f8107f40b14d7ce6e11b1e5a135582.png

Wait a minute whaaat, sorry I don't understand. Do I need to remove my heatsink from the m.2? I paid extra for it lol

1 minute ago, StoryVFX said:

Wait a minute whaaat, sorry I don't understand. Do I need to remove my heatsink from the m.2? I paid extra for it lol

You need to turn the latch on the screw hole like shown in the pictures. Point it away from the drive, then, after you push the drive down, turn it back. It will hold the drive in place.

4 minutes ago, StoryVFX said:

Probably not, the Q-Late should still work, you just won't be able to put the motherboards heatsink back down. It doesn't seem like you're doing it right but we can't see the Q-Latch all that well in your video. 

Why would you pay extra for something the board includes? 

You can see it in use here with another drive with its own heatsink. Its possible that particular slot isn't compatible with drives with their own heatsinks but I'd need to get my hands on it to really tell for sure. 

56 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Why would you pay extra for something the board includes? 

lol honestly idk I thought maybe it will provide better cooling 🤣

58 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

You need to turn the latch on the screw hole like shown in the pictures. Point it away from the drive, then, after you push the drive down, turn it back. It will hold the drive in place.

Wow... I feel so dumb bruuh 💀 

• 2 weeks later...