Ubuntu install gone wrong. Stuck on splash screen

I installed Ubuntu 22.04. via a bootable usb. I tested the os and installed it. Everything was fine untill i restarted. Now the pc wount boot on neither the os, nor the usb drive im trying to reinstall it with.

Any ideas?

PXL_20231207_144026125.jpg

17019602133932478694761197061909.jpg

17019602230638955570997652762176.jpg

17019605511349097259543617734080.jpg

Edited by sovepose

1 hour ago, sovepose said:

I installed Ubuntu 22.04. via a bootable usb. I tested the os and installed it. Everything was fine untill i restarted. Now the pc wount boot on neither the os, nor the usb drive im trying to reinstall it with.

Any ideas?

PXL_20231207_144026125.jpg

17019602133932478694761197061909.jpg

17019602230638955570997652762176.jpg

17019605511349097259543617734080.jpg

Is secure boot enabled? For the most part Linux distros require you to have secure boot disabled.

While I'm sure there's legitimate use cases for secure boot, in practice it's basically Microsoft's way of impeding non-Windows operating systems.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

I have used both secure bott for 3rd parties and without 😕

1 hour ago, sovepose said:

I have used both secure bott for 3rd parties and without 😕

I think when you disable secure boot it's recommended to also clear the stored keys. There should be an option for that in bios.

It could just be an issue with Ubuntu.

As someone that's been using Linux for coming up on 2 years now, Ubuntu has really gone to shit. I can tell you from personal experiences over the course of attempting to use it these last two years that it sucks to the point where even Manjaro looks appealing in comparison. Hell, there were plenty of times that I couldn't even get the install media to load, with me being stuck on the splash screen similar to this here. And in the times that I have managed to get Ubuntu to install and load properly, the system basically shat the bed the second I tried uninstalling the default Snap versions of apps like Firefox so I could install either the repo versions or Flatpak versions.

Even distros based on Ubuntu I've found to be pretty damn bad in many cases, which is why I've sworn them off and don't even recommend them anymore.

Me personally I think you would be better off with going with something like Linux Mint Debian Edition over Ubuntu. Debian is significantly more stable and polished than Ubuntu, and coupled with the user friendliness of Mint it's a win win. Especially considering how regular Mint which is based on Ubuntu straight up killed itself after just a few attempts to update the system on a laptop of mine.

Actually. I found out that the drive is dead. And in good fashion it is a part of the motherboard...... So i guess new pc 😛

It was dog slow anyways. And thats why i wanted to change the os, i thought the cpu was getting to old. But it turnes out it was the ssd all along...

16 hours ago, sovepose said:

Actually. I found out that the drive is dead. And in good fashion it is a part of the motherboard...... So i guess new pc 😛

It was dog slow anyways. And thats why i wanted to change the os, i thought the cpu was getting to old. But it turnes out it was the ssd all along...

What do you mean part of the PC?

Is the storage is soldered to the motherboard, or is it just an M.2 drive? Cause those can be replaced by just removing a single screw. Aside from Apple, Chromebooks are the only other ones I think that solder storage drives.

Also you should either quote or use @ with responses.

1 hour ago, htimsenyawed said:

Surface Pro 7 has a soldered chip for storage. I didn't Google any of the other Surface models, but at least that one does too.

that's really lame 😐

On 12/8/2023 at 4:15 AM, sovepose said:

But it turnes out it was the ssd all along...

Yeah, maybe it is slow, but it is a low power x86 device that can run a majority of software.  $110-120 can get the machine working again with a new ssd, vs finding a recycling center, such as REI, for your existing device.

Also do not update the bios, it could brick itself, requiring a serial cable and a command line to reflash the bios chip.  I have a device with this issue, and it sure is annoying.  Not only do you need those tools, you have to take off the glass from the screen and hope not to break it, and go through a lengthy process to get to the internal board.  I don't have the skills or equipment to do that.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.