X79 quad channel board with mismatched dimms

sevs

I have recently purchased some secondhand parts and I've ended up with 48gb of ram in an Asus p9x79 board. There are two 16gb kits and 2 8gb kits. One Corsair 16gb kit, the others are all Hyperx. How would I arrange these as to not needlessly lose performance? I know I could just remove some of them and end up with less ram, but I don't want to do that. Why not populate all 8 slots when I can. The pc boots up and works fine, but I don't want to drive with my handbrake on either.

Currently they are oriented as follows:

1234-4321 with kits 1 and 3 using 8gb modules and kits 2 and 4 using 4gb modules. This is how I installed them as per page 25 in the manual, as if I "upgraded" by adding the kits one by one. This doesn't look right quite right to me though.

0025.jpg

0026.jpg

something

Here's where I'd start:

A1 - 8 GB

B1 - 16 GB

C1 - 8 GB

D1 - 16 GB

What type of memory is all of this?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

Here's where I'd start:

A1 - 8 GB

B1 - 16 GB

C1 - 8 GB

D1 - 16 GB

What type of memory is all of this?

It's DDR3.

So,

A1 and a2 - 8 GB kit

B1 and b2 - 16 GB kit

C1 and c2 - 8 GB kit

D1 and d2 - 16 GB kit

?

something

53 minutes ago, sevs said:

It's DDR3.

So,

A1 and a2 - 8 GB kit

B1 and b2 - 16 GB kit

C1 and c2 - 8 GB kit

D1 and d2 - 16 GB kit

?

That's not what I wrote.

You said you have 48 gigs of RAM in "two 16gb kits and 2 8gb kits.", so I assumed two 16 GB DIMMs and two 8 GB DIMMs. Is that not the case?

Forget "kits". How many DIMMs do you have, and what are their respective speeds and capacities?

If you have four 8 gig DIMMs and four 4 gig DIMMs, put the 8 gig DIMMS in the x1 slots and the 4 gig DIMMs in the x2 slots. (Assuming they're all the same speed. If any of them are slower, they'll all run at the speed of the slowest DIMM.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

A1 - 8GB

A2 - 4GB

B1 - 8GB

B2 - 4GB

C1 - 8GB

C2 - 4GB

D1 - 8GB

D2 - 4GB

In other words, I think that's 8GB modules in the blue slots, 4GB modules in the black slots. This keeps the channel capacities balanced, with the same capacity breakpoints switching between modules.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

are any of the 4gb sticks double sided?

If not then theyre all 4gbit ics, even better if the ram ic manufacturer for all of them happen to be the same to ensure compatibility since even if theyre diff revisions they should work just fine

If these are xmp rams then say goodbye to that as youll have to manually tune anyways assuming mixed ram ics or atleast mixed revisions and also haaving to crank imc volts, though board should clock the rams just fine if my p6x58de is anything to go by (6x4 ddr3 at a slow 1900mhz but can do 2000+ if the board wasnt a trash sample and could actually bclk properly), a conservative estimate from me would be 2200 ish but id aim for ~2400 or higher, use as much vccsa/vtt as you need or as far as itll scale, max = vcore = ~1.52v

As for the ram config youll wanna balance all the channels so 4 + 8gb in one channel for all the channels as @porina suggested

though i will add that if the ics on the rams are not all from 1 manufacturer and from 2 or more as an example hynixes mixed with samsungs then youll wanna match both the 8gb and 4gb samsung sticks to one or more channels depending on how many you  have and hynixes for the rest just to make sure its compatible, and samsungs will go in the inner slots cause theyre the crappiest out of all the ics (~2400 max for samsug 4gbit ics vs 3200+ for the 4gbit hynixes even if they arent mfr)

Send 4 pics of thaiphoon burner with each one of the kits installed individually to determine ram ic, once the ics or atleast the ic manufacturer(s) is identified just put them all in according to whats shown on the thaiphoon  screenshots so no mix matching diff ic manufacturer shenanigans on 1 channel and causing the system to be unstable or no post because of a pair of ram in a channel that dont play nice with eachother and bring the entire system down with em