odd frametime behavior after gpu upgrade

herb

So yesterday i upgraded my gpu from a gtx 1080 ti to an rx 6700 xt. i ran ddu for amd and nvidia before installing the card because i wanted to make sure the drivers would be clean. after i got the amd drivers installed and setup for my preferences i started noticing that the frame time in general is very inconsistent and seemingly not correlated to anything. does anyone know what the usual culprit is for frametime issues?

the particular games i tested were Battlefield V, Battlefront II, Asphalt 9, and Geometry Dash. all of these games showed frametime issues. battlefront II was the worst and geometry dash was the best, but i think the fact that a super lightweight game like geometry dash is having issues is evidence that something else is wrong.

i think its important to note that i do have SAM enabled i have not done much testing with it disabled but based on my quick check in BF5 its not the problem. i am running an R7 3700x and 32gb of ddr4 3600 cl 16 ram on an msi x570 mpg gaming edge wifi motherboard.

another thing i considered but haven't tested is the fact that my copy of windows is heavily modified and the gui has been modified as well. i didnt have any issues with the 1080 ti but amd might be different. i plan to reinstall windows later once i have backed up my data because i want to anyway.

let me know what you guys think is the issue.

Based on what you've specified about how you've modified Windows, I definitely wouldn't go without considering that to be a problem. You could also stick to simpler things in the meantime, such as running ddu again, checking to make sure your drivers are the latest version, updating your bios, enabling resizeable bar (if your motherboard supports it), etc.

| Mark Solutions as Solutions | Just Because Nobody's Replied Doesn't Mean Nobody's Thinking | Refresh Often| Bottleneck Calculators are BS|

Main System: CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K/ COOLER: Be Quiet! Pure Rock Slim 2/ RAM: 32GB (2x 16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600MHz/ GPU: MSI RTX 3070 LHR Ventus 2x OC/ SSD1: 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD & SSD2: SK Hynix P41 2TB/ Case: Fractal Pop! Air (Black RGB TG Clear Tint)/ PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2

Temps under load: CPU: Under Cinebench r23 looped for 30 minutes, temps reach around 60-67 C (140-152.6 F)

GPU: Under Fur Mark for 45 minutes, temps reach around 71-74 C (161.6-178.4 F)

Second System: CPU: Intel Core i7-4790/ COOLER: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE/ RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) Team Group DDR3 1600MHz/ GPU: AMD Radeon PRO W5700 GPU/ SSD: 250GB Samsung SATA SSD & HDD1: 1.5TB 2.5" HDD & HDD2: 500GB 2.5" HDD/ Case: Fractal Define 7 No Window/ PSU: Corsair RM1000X

Temps under load: CPU: Under Cinebench r23 looped for 30 minutes, temps reach around 50-56 C (122-136.8 F)

GPU: Under Fur Mark for 45 minutes, temps reach around 69-73 C (156.2-163.4 F)

Laptop: Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3i 15IMH05 (Intel Core i5-10300H, 16GB DDR4 2933MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Ti, 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD & 500GB SATA SSD)

Temps under load: CPU: Under Cinebench r20 looped for 30 minutes, temps reach around 87-92 C (188.6-197.6 F)

GPU: Under Fur Mark for 45 minutes, temps reach around 81-84 C (177.8-183.2 F)

Phone: iPhone SE 2 (2020 version)

2 minutes ago, bobby3dse said:

You could also stick to simpler things in the meantime, such as running ddu again, checking to make sure your drivers are the latest version, updating your bios, enabling resizeable bar (if your motherboard supports it), etc.

i updated my bios today but i didnt have free time to test it yet. I have resizable bar enabled already, thats what SAM is. i have the latest drivers and running ddu again probably wont do anything.

10 minutes ago, herb said:

So yesterday i upgraded my gpu from a gtx 1080 ti to an rx 6700 xt. i ran ddu for amd and nvidia before installing the card because i wanted to make sure the drivers would be clean. after i got the amd drivers installed and setup for my preferences i started noticing that the frame time in general is very inconsistent and seemingly not correlated to anything. does anyone know what the usual culprit is for frametime issues?

the particular games i tested were Battlefield V, Battlefront II, Asphalt 9, and Geometry Dash. all of these games showed frametime issues. battlefront II was the worst and geometry dash was the best, but i think the fact that a super lightweight game like geometry dash is having issues is evidence that something else is wrong.

i think its important to note that i do have SAM enabled i have not done much testing with it disabled but based on my quick check in BF5 its not the problem. i am running an R7 3700x and 32gb of ddr4 3600 cl 16 ram on an msi x570 mpg gaming edge wifi motherboard.

another thing i considered but haven't tested is the fact that my copy of windows is heavily modified and the gui has been modified as well. i didnt have any issues with the 1080 ti but amd might be different. i plan to reinstall windows later once i have backed up my data because i want to anyway.

let me know what you guys think is the issue.

I'd force PCIe 4.0 on the PCIE16_1 slot and default 16x to any bifurcation settings. It's also possible that its a PCIe 4.0 issue, so testing PCIe 3.0 as well.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

4 minutes ago, Agall said:

I'd force PCIe 4.0 on the PCIE16_1 slot and default 16x to any bifurcation settings. It's also possible that its a PCIe 4.0 issue, so testing PCIe 3.0 as well.

i can try that later. the gpu and the motherboard are pcie 4.0 capable and i have it in the correct spot. shouldnt it negotiate the speed automatically? i know thats an issue with risers but i dont use one.

8 minutes ago, herb said:

i can try that later. the gpu and the motherboard are pcie 4.0 capable and i have it in the correct spot. shouldnt it negotiate the speed automatically? i know thats an issue with risers but i dont use one.

PCIe has different C states but negotiates its main version and bus length on POST. C states will usually change the PCIe version to save power, since PCIe 4.0 is quite power hungry. If you haven't yet validated that the card is using PCIe 4.0 16x using GPU-Z or such, then its possible its either negotiating improperly or erroring on a C-state. C-states on PCIe can also be disabled, but that's one of the last things I'll usually test.

Between a 1080ti and 6700 XT, its a more significant variable than drivers, in my opinion. If it puts it into perspective, I've never used DDU, and I generally think its overused/over-prescribed. Not for a lack of trying, I've had multiple instances of the same Windows installation host all 3 GPU makers' drivers simultaneously without issue, even on my main rig, where I'm playing super low frame time latency 4K 240Hz.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

5 hours ago, Agall said:

PCIe has different C states but negotiates its main version and bus length on POST. C states will usually change the PCIe version to save power, since PCIe 4.0 is quite power hungry. If you haven't yet validated that the card is using PCIe 4.0 16x using GPU-Z or such, then its possible its either negotiating improperly or erroring on a C-state. C-states on PCIe can also be disabled, but that's one of the last things I'll usually test.

Between a 1080ti and 6700 XT, its a more significant variable than drivers, in my opinion. If it puts it into perspective, I've never used DDU, and I generally think its overused/over-prescribed. Not for a lack of trying, I've had multiple instances of the same Windows installation host all 3 GPU makers' drivers simultaneously without issue, even on my main rig, where I'm playing super low frame time latency 4K 240Hz.

okay so at this point i have done A LOT of tests to figure out what is wrong.  ill save you the whole story because i just wasted like 4 hours of my life but pretty much my rx 6700 xt is not running at its rated clock speeds.  when i play a game like star wars battlefront II the gpu only runs at 1000mhz.  its supposed to run at 2600-2700. when i manually input the clockspeeds in the amd control panel the performance does get better but its still not perfect. im still noticing drops into the low hundreds of mhz when the clockspeeds are set manually. im also still getting some frametime issues when loading in more open scenes but my 1080 ti never had this issue. 

my friend who i live with has a 6600 xt and i decided to test my card in his pc and nothing is wrong with it, it is just my computer. im glad im closer to figuring out what is wrong but please help me.

Do you have the latest chipset drivers?

If not, install those. Then set the computer to high performance mode and see if that fixes anything.

image.png.d5bbb20d85c0729feddb0f790873a940.png

Also, it would help if you posted your Windows version, if you think it's a Windows issue. I went through your post history and couldn't find what version of Windows you're using either.

There is approximately a 117% chance I edited my post.

Please refresh before you reply.

Did a post solve your issue?  Please mark it as the solution!

im pretty sure i have the latest chipset drivers. i dont think its a windows issue because my friends pc didnt have any issues with the card just mine, they both are on the latest version of windows 11.

im going to install the chipset driver again anyway but i dont think thats it.

im to the point where i think there might be a motherboard incompatibility or something. i know that not a usual issue but ive done everything at this point and the internet has not been able to provide any answers. if the card is fine in one computer and not fine in mine then the platform has to be to blame since every other factor has not fixed the issue. am i missing something?

22 minutes ago, herb said:

im pretty sure i have the latest chipset drivers. i dont think its a windows issue because my friends pc didnt have any issues with the card just mine, they both are on the latest version of windows 11.

im going to install the chipset driver again anyway but i dont think thats it.

im to the point where i think there might be a motherboard incompatibility or something. i know that not a usual issue but ive done everything at this point and the internet has not been able to provide any answers. if the card is fine in one computer and not fine in mine then the platform has to be to blame since every other factor has not fixed the issue. am i missing something?

You're missing a lot of things. The only way your assumption would hold true without thorough troubleshooting is if you had a clean install of Windows on your own computer and the GPU worked fine in your friends computer and not yours. You do not have a clean install; you've stated it's heavily modified, and I don't even know if you have all of the manufacturer drivers installed.

The only thing you've ruled out at this point is that the GPU is fine, which is great troubleshooting and useful!

While hardware failures do happen, they are very very rare when compared to the amount of misconfigurations of software and/or buggy software/conflicts. Just one example is the known fTPM stuttering issues with AMD CPUs, UEFI and chipset combinations... most of which can be resolved with software. (In various ways depending on how users want to fix it. One of which is upgrading the chipset drivers.)

Unfortunately, while your logic may make sense in your head, modern computers (and the software that run them) are systems of systems and there are all kinds of ways for issues to occur that do not mean that a permanent hardware failure has occurred. It's not like the old days where most things either worked or didn't work. Now, operating systems and compatibility drivers have gotten so good, lots of things will just work. However, once you start looking at the performance of said systems, things can get very complicated very quickly.

There is approximately a 117% chance I edited my post.

Please refresh before you reply.

Did a post solve your issue?  Please mark it as the solution!