Struggling Internet Speeds

Jared Linde

Hello,

My home currently has 500mp/s up and down internet speeds, but when someone is streaming a show at 4k it is dropping my speeds to around 60mp/s up and down. Then on top of this, updating games only goes at around 10mp/s. I can't believe that this is a normal thing and was wondering if anyone could enlighten me.

depends what is your home network setup? Is it wireless? If you're not hardwired then you'll experience some severe speed drops and latency on top of that.  A good home environment should have mostly "hardwired" for the important people then wireless for everyone else really.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

13 hours ago, Ramamataz said:

depends what is your home network setup? Is it wireless? If you're not hardwired then you'll experience some severe speed drops and latency on top of that.  A good home environment should have mostly "hardwired" for the important people then wireless for everyone else really.

I am currently using ethernet to the main router, which is why it doesn't make too much sense.

What's the model of your router? To me, it seems like this is a lack of a good router.

Routers given by the ISP usually do not have the resources to stream to multiple devices at once.

You can try logging into your router's web UI and poking around in search of queue configuration, prioritization, or QOS settings.

The settings change drastically from device to device.

Qoute my reply if you want me to answer back.