Glitchy BSOD, Game crashes, System restarts after getting new RAM and testing.

Go to solution Solved by Bjoolz,
2 hours ago, Rrraaayyy said:

Also, Timings voltage specs and speed, dual channel mode and compatibility is EXACTLY why i've purchased an IDENTICAL kit....
How can the Timings and XMP profiles not run with 4 sticks... if they are all the same for each stick???

2 hours ago, Rrraaayyy said:

Wait, I think I've read that wrong, are we talking about the RAM KIT here? The kit is the problem?
How in the hell if the RAM is compatible with the CPU and MOBO, you can't add more if you have the slots for it? What sort of anti-consumer anti-upgrade mechanism is that, lol !

I will test the ram as you said, and return with more results, but seeing as the crashes are very random (I've played like 4 hours without any issue, but then in 50 mins it can crash like 3-4 times), I really don't know how to draw conclusions...
Maybe I will also run another memtest overnight, but seeing as I ran it with XMP enabled for 10 hours and still got a pass... idk what to say.

A few things here. Running four sticks, as shown in the manual with 4 sticks having a lower officially supported speed, can be one possible reason for the issue. Running four sticks is simply much harder on the memory controller (Part of the CPU).

I don't see your kit on the motherboard's memory QVL. I haven't really cared about the QVL since second gen Ryzen (First and second gen was a bit of nightmare with RAM), but with four sticks you really should still use the QVL if possible. The QVL will tell you if it passed the control with 2 or 4 sticks. They test all kits with 4 even if they are two stick kits or even single stick. With it not being on the QVL list, it's a dice roll.

Buying the same model number RAM as you already have doesn't mean that you get the same RAM. Before every batch the RAM vendor will get the cheapest parts they can get which will do the speeds and timings they need. On a later batch, the RAM could be completely different from the original batch. This makes the QVL even more difficult to follow because no one tells you which parts were used when you buy the RAM, you just have to check after you received it. The QVL will tell you, for most kits, which manufacturer the components were from with the tested kit.

With Corsair RAM they print which parts were used on the sticker of each stick. It's encoded because they don't really want people to know about this. If you look at the sticker on each kit, it will have a version number. This is not really the version, it's who the parts are from and which version chipset (What is usually called a die with RAM) was used with that stick. You can see in the screenshot below that all kits from SK Hynix start with a 5. If they don't have the same version number they are not any more similar than any other two random kits. 

Example image of the memory QVL for Corsair sticks on your board with your CPU.image.thumb.png.a205a4ddac07b7ed6390ff6e1edd5834.png

You can see the component manufacturer in the Chip field (And they include the version number behind the model number) and how many sticks it was stable with in the "DIMM Socket Support" field.

18 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

Did you test the new kit by themselves aka only the two sticks.? The kit is made to run by itself, also 3600 isn't officially supported by AMD 5600x, only 3200 with two sticks. If the two kits isn't rated for the same timings, you'll have to choose the ones from the kit with the loosest timings (highest numbers) and go with that. It's very important that you only set primary timings as the other timings is specific to 2 sticks. Instead use auto for all secondary timings and lower that after you get it stable. Keep in mind if you undervolt the CPU using curve optimizer, you'll have to disable that while tweaking as it will affect stability.

They are the same kits, the timings are identical, at least the primary timings.

But ok, I will test with only the new kit by themselves, as the above test was done with all of them installed....

(I don't really see the point, maybe you want to isolate the cause, either the RAM istelf or bad memory controller on CPU? Either way, the solution for both these problems is for me to get a bigger 2x kit, like a 2x16GB, and sell the ones I have now, I don't see an alternative...)

19 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

The kit is made to run by itself, also 3600 isn't officially supported by AMD 5600x, only 3200 with two sticks.

On 11/30/2023 at 9:34 AM, DoctorNick said:

I see that I've created confusion.. The CPU should be able to handle 4 sticks at 3600 just fine. Memory run at very loose 18-22-22-42 timings.

You have indeed 😅. It seems like you are kinda contradicting yourself here... which one is it?
I don't want to play cop or try to police anybody, I know what the AMD page says, but I've searched this matter before getting the ram as well and I've found users say 3600 for 5600x is no problem.

Even more, I found a reddit user saying this:

The primary problem is likely the Corsair memory as Corsair memory is notoriously the most unreliable combined with ryzen as MOST of the modules appear to use garbage ICs. Even if you got to 3534mhz, i'd question it's stability.

If you want a problem free experience, just get crucial memory as they are owned by micron and micron ICs pair with ryzen is a match made in heaven. You won't lose your hair, XMP works out of the box every time, and more often than not, you can get more out of the modules than just what XMP gives if you really wanted to push it.

5600x can run well into the 4000mhz range without a hitch (granted not 1:1). 3600mhz is childs play.

Source:Reddit

Kinda concerning since Corsair is all I have now :)) But, we can't really know for sure if it's myth or truth...

Note: My CPU is NOT the 2020 5600x, it's the 5600 (non X) released in 2022.

56 minutes ago, Rrraaayyy said:

The primary problem is likely the Corsair memory as Corsair memory is notoriously the most unreliable combined with ryzen as MOST of the modules appear to use garbage ICs. Even if you got to 3534mhz, i'd question it's stability.

If you want a problem free experience, just get crucial memory as they are owned by micron and micron ICs pair with ryzen is a match made in heaven. You won't lose your hair, XMP works out of the box every time, and more often than not, you can get more out of the modules than just what XMP gives if you really wanted to push it.

5600x can run well into the 4000mhz range without a hitch (granted not 1:1). 3600mhz is childs play.

I question this as Corsair buys components from the same manufacturers as everyone else. Samsung, Micron/Spectec, Nanya and SK Hynix. The might get lower binned units, but they would normally have higher failure rates. Not sure if they would be less reliable with XMP/DOCP/EXPO. It would still have to pass the QC at the motherboard vendor when they check the RAM independently for the QVL. 

On 11/30/2023 at 10:35 PM, DoctorNick said:

Did you test the new kit by themselves aka only the two sticks.? The kit is made to run by itself, also 3600 isn't officially supported by AMD 5600x, only 3200 with two sticks. If the two kits isn't rated for the same timings, you'll have to choose the ones from the kit with the loosest timings (highest numbers) and go with that. It's very important that you only set primary timings as the other timings is specific to 2 sticks. Instead use auto for all secondary timings and lower that after you get it stable. Keep in mind if you undervolt the CPU using curve optimizer, you'll have to disable that while tweaking as it will affect stability.

Yeah so after setting them manually, with just the new kit installled, everything seems fine, no crashes or BSODs...
So it seems by themselves they are fine but once brought togheter.... shit hits the fan.
Which would line up with what me and Bjoolz have concluded : RAM incompatibility because of the different batch versions and/or the Memory controller can't handle the extra stress of 4 sticks.