Running CPU without lid or cooling

3edw

This is a really weird question, but is it possible to run a CPU without a lid or cooling system on top of it? I know it's stupid, but this is for research purposes. We want to make some optical measurements on a chip that's running, which means that there can't be anything in between the die and the tool. 

Don't need to actually run benchmarks or anything. Just need to get it to idle on a home screen or something of that sort.

Can you do it, yes.

Based off your question, I'm guessing you want to remove the IHS, so you can see the bare die. I'd reccomend against doing that, depending on the CPU, there is a high chance it won't ever make it to windows before it thermal throttles and turns off.

Without the IHS, you'd need to be using a very low-end chip to make sure it won't shut off from thermals before you finish booting. Something like an Intel Celeron might do it.

That, or you'll need to downclock and undervolt the CPU massively in the BIOS when you still have cooling.

Modern CPUs are incredibly dense and pull a ton of power, so really need that IHS to spread out the thermal load so that a hotspot doesn't trip thermal protections.

18 minutes ago, 3edw said:

This is a really weird question, but is it possible to run a CPU without a lid or cooling system on top of it? I know it's stupid, but this is for research purposes. We want to make some optical measurements on a chip that's running, which means that there can't be anything in between the die and the tool. 

Don't need to actually run benchmarks or anything. Just need to get it to idle on a home screen or something of that sort.

Highly not recommended unless you're willing to kill the chip in 3 seconds. Even a U-series intel part will kill itself pretty quickly.

If you want to actually try this, you'll quite literately need to go back to a Pentium 1 to find a CPU that will still operate without a heatsink.

Yeah, this is about what I thought. Do you think that running something like Q4OS + undervolting would be possible with a Celeron G3930T? 

Having done this accidentally before (with the heat sink just loose and not even fully disconnected), the PC shuts off for safety after about 10 seconds, during bootup. Then much faster on subsequent attempts since it has already heated up.