Operating System Recommendations

fenux1977

Dell PowerEdge R630 Server | 2x E5-2660 V4 2.0Ghz 28 Cores | 16GB

Will I be able to install windows 11?  I have seen there are options for the TPM module to purchase.

In addition, I plan on doing nothing but mining  some version of XMR crypto on it.  I am new at this.  Are there other better options for the operating system?  The easier the option the better.  

Thanks in advance.

Windows 11 should work fine here, but make sure you have the Pro version to use both CPUs. I'd just use the bypass of system requirements instead of getting a TPM for the system.

Linux should work here too, but If your not used to linux there is a learning curve.

I don't see it making sense getting one of these servers for mining. These CPUs aren't that fast and like power, but you do you.

1 hour ago, fenux1977 said:

Dell PowerEdge R630 Server | 2x E5-2660 V4 2.0Ghz 28 Cores | 16GB

Will I be able to install windows 11?  I have seen there are options for the TPM module to purchase.

In addition, I plan on doing nothing but mining  some version of XMR crypto on it.  I am new at this.  Are there other better options for the operating system?  The easier the option the better.  

Thanks in advance.

How about instead of using Windows 11, you go with something like Windows 10 LTSC or Debian Linux? It honestly depends on what you're looking to do fully...

Think of this like the starter character armor I can afford on an MMO.   I would love to get an new Epyc, but I have to grind a while before I can afford that. lol

Also in general I appreciate the advice.

I was able to get this server for about 208 dollars.   As long as everything is successful, I can go back to the same source get something newer and better.  If it is not sucessful for some reason, I got a 200 dollar steam game backup server.  🙂

Nicklordzero thank you for pointing out the windows 10 options.   That's exactly what I need.  I am totally rookie when I leave the desktop.  I didn't know there was a middle ground recent option that supported the processor.