No HDMI signal. All parts are working. New Build.

sliawjokjw
Go to solution Solved by sliawjokjw,

Make sure RAM was 100% in, pushing down both sides even if your motherboard only has one clip. 

Check CPU pins.

Reset CMOS.

Reseat the GPU.

Make sure all cables are fully plugged in. 

Try another HDMI/Display Port cable.

Here's my part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/67VDJy (nzxt z790 mobo, nzxt C850 (850W), i7 13700k, 4070ti) All parts are compatible.

When I power on my PC, all fans spin w/ RGB, RAM lights up, GPU fans spin. All parts look functional, however, there is no HDMI signal/output coming from the GPU's HDMI port.

I've tried another wire, another monitor. I've tried Re-seating the GPU, Ram, and CPU but they don't seem to work. One thing that might be the problem is the GPU doesn't seem to make a click sound when I insert it, but the clip in the PCI-E slot moves back to the clipped position. Also, I've tried removing the GPU and plugging HDMI into the motherboard but it still didn't give a signal.

PXL-20231120-221108534-min.jpg

PXL-20231120-221255054.jpg

PXL-20231120-221226533-MP.jpg

PXL-20231120-221150718.jpg

PXL-20231120-221131937-MP.jpg

The obvious thing that I am sure you know of is that the GPU might be faulty in some sort of way but you said that you plugged the HDMI into the motherboard and still no signal, so it may be that the CPU may be the issue in this system, If your gonna try to fix it yourself then I would look at the back of the CPU for any visible damage or that the motherboard may be bad, My bets on the CPU, Its hard to tell but the motherboard will hum near the CPU socket if there is damage as some of the lines connect. This noise is very quiet, good luck my friend I will get back to you

have you looked for the post leds? it should cycle through them when you switch on, cpu/ram/boot/vga etc, if its stuck on 1 then at least thats a starting point.

have you tried reseting the bios?

is ram firmly plugged in?

checked the cpu socket for bent damaged pins?

all power cables connected properly?

I can see a red led at the bottom in a photo, is that where the post leds are? its red that could well be cpu...

40 minutes ago, aledsav1 said:

have you looked for the post leds? it should cycle through them when you switch on, cpu/ram/boot/vga etc, if its stuck on 1 then at least thats a starting point.

have you tried reseting the bios?

is ram firmly plugged in?

checked the cpu socket for bent damaged pins?

all power cables connected properly?

I can see a red led at the bottom in a photo, is that where the post leds are? its red that could well be cpu...

Thanks for this tip. The post LED's seem to have gone through CPU and be stuck on RAM. 

I reset the CMOS through the button on the I/O panel, But it didn't seem to help.

I'm positive that the Ram is plugged in-

CPU pins looks to be in good condition-

I've checked the power cables, and I've secured them more, but maybe I should re-do the cable management and really be thorough.

Looks like it's something to do with RAM, I'll keep trying to troubleshoot.

well if its stuck on ram then its either purely a ram issue..try 1 stick at a time in different slots, make sure you here the click when inserting them top and bottom of slot

but it could also be cpu, as obviously cpu and the socket are directly responsible for ram sort of thing..but i'd lean towards testing the 1 stick at a time route

49 minutes ago, aledsav1 said:

well if its stuck on ram then its either purely a ram issue..try 1 stick at a time in different slots, make sure you here the click when inserting them top and bottom of slot

but it could also be cpu, as obviously cpu and the socket are directly responsible for ram sort of thing..but i'd lean towards testing the 1 stick at a time route

Yep, I just tinkered with the ram. Seems like I could have pushed it in further on the side that didn't have the clip. 

The RAM LED is now off but now the BOOT & VGA LED's are on 😅.

I reseated the graphics card. But still it's stuck on the BOOT & VGA LED's. 

Maybe a problem is that the GPU didn't 'click' in. The clip reset back to the clipped position, but there wasn't that click that you would expect.

well one step closer..get the vga working, make sure cables firmly plugged in both ends and at the psu are the correct end of cable, try other pcie slots or back to your igpu, boot no issue if cables all in or if its m.2/nvme once your in bios to set up

okay... looks like post LED's are off now.

But there still isn't a signal to the monitor.

There's probably still a problem with my cables.

20 minutes ago, aledsav1 said:

well one step closer..get the vga working, make sure cables firmly plugged in both ends and at the psu are the correct end of cable, try other pcie slots or back to your igpu, boot no issue if cables all in or if its m.2/nvme once your in bios to set up

Ok. I just retried and it worked!!

Thank you so much!!

All your tips were so helpful TYSM!

Make sure RAM was 100% in, pushing down both sides even if your motherboard only has one clip. 

Check CPU pins.

Reset CMOS.

Reseat the GPU.

Make sure all cables are fully plugged in. 

Try another HDMI/Display Port cable.