Asus TUF vs Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800XT?

-X-

Planning an upgrade, my original choice was the TUF RX7800XT (upgrading from a Strix RX480 OC) and I prefer Asus overall, but the Sapphire Nitro+ seems to be another great option (and it's a similar price more or less depending on the store). 

Looking at tests the performance is similar (haven't found a direct comparison between the 2 from a single source), biggest differences I've noticed are the temperatures - Nitro+ around 63C while gaming and TUF around 57C while gaming from the same source - and the TDP difference stated on Versus.com - Nitro+ 288W vs TUF 263. Besides that, probably the most important difference (for me) is the case fan header, the Nitro+ has one and the TUF doesn't (currently using a case fan connected to the GPU since the Strix 480 has 2 headers for case fans). 

If I missed any differences feel free to point them out!

I'm looking to hear thoughts and experiences if someone used either of the 2 versions or in general how this generation of TUF and Nitro+ compare in terms of cooling and overall quality. It's a GPU that should (hopefully) last 4-5+ years so I'd prefer going with the better quality one that can handle everyday use and probably high temps during summer (for reference, my current Strix RX 480 OC goes up to 80-86C during summer due to weather, otherwise it stays around 55-65C at 100%). 

Also interested how TriXX compares to GPU Tweak, especially for controlling case fans.

Thanks in advance.

CPU: Ryzen 9 7900X | CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120SE | Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming B650 Plus | RAM: Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 5600mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RX7800XT | PSU: Cooler Master V850 V2 Gold | SSD: Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB M.2 NVME  | HDD: WD Blue 1TB x2 | HDD: WD Blue 2TB | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl 

1 minute ago, -X- said:

Looking at tests the performance is similar (haven't found a direct comparison between the 2 from a single source), biggest differences I've noticed are the temperatures - Nitro+ around 63C while gaming and TUF around 57C while gaming from the same source - and the TDP difference stated on Versus.com - Nitro+ 288W vs TUF 263. Besides that, probably the most important difference (for me) is the case fan header, the Nitro+ has one and the TUF doesn't (currently using a case fan connected to the GPU since the Strix 480 has 2 headers for case fans).

I'd say get the nitro+

But more importantly, are you playing at 1080p? 

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

I have the big brother 7900XTX Nitro+ and the temps are really good, fan noise is also manageable plus I have no noticeable coil whine. My only recent experiences with ASUS was with my 3070, which performed well, but otherwise I can't say. Sapphire is well regarded among AMD board partners, so it's hard to go wrong picking them.

3 hours ago, filpo said:

I'd say get the nitro+

But more importantly, are you playing at 1080p? 

1440p 60hz not planning on switching to 4k anytime soon, the 7800XT seems to handle it without a problem and even 4K in some cases. I thought about going for the 7900XT but even the reference models cost a lot more than TUF or Nitro+ 7800XTs while Asus, Sapphire or MSI 7900XTs are almost twice the price.

Aside from costing more than the extra power and VRAM it brings, I'm looking to fit a Ryzen 9 5900X (it's primarily for work, gaming shouldn't be a problem) but all that brings the need for a new cooler and a new PSU etc. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 7900X | CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120SE | Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming B650 Plus | RAM: Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 5600mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RX7800XT | PSU: Cooler Master V850 V2 Gold | SSD: Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB M.2 NVME  | HDD: WD Blue 1TB x2 | HDD: WD Blue 2TB | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl 

1 hour ago, CLG Rampage said:

I have the big brother 7900XTX Nitro+ and the temps are really good, fan noise is also manageable plus I have no noticeable coil whine. My only recent experiences with ASUS was with my 3070, which performed well, but otherwise I can't say. Sapphire is well regarded among AMD board partners, so it's hard to go wrong picking them.

That's why my choice is down to Asus vs Sapphire, had a great experience with everything from Asus over the years and Sapphire has been AMD's top quality partner for so long and specifically the Nitro+ seems very solid. 

8 hours ago, -X- said:

Aside from costing more than the extra power and VRAM it brings, I'm looking to fit a Ryzen 9 5900X (it's primarily for work, gaming shouldn't be a problem) but all that brings the need for a new cooler and a new PSU etc. 

good idea. But that can be for the future, the 5900x i mean

8 hours ago, -X- said:

1440p 60hz not planning on switching to 4k anytime soon, the 7800XT seems to handle it without a problem and even 4K in some cases. I thought about going for the 7900XT but even the reference models cost a lot more than TUF or Nitro+ 7800XTs while Asus, Sapphire or MSI 7900XTs are almost twice the price.

ye the Nitro+ seems the best to me

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

I like the asus tuf a bit more because I think it's a better card for a number of reasons and Im a asus fanboy as of recently after discovering my 3080 tuf hidden potential lol. The 7900xt/xtx runs slightly cooler and almost identical to the nitro+ in terms of performance in stock config. It uses mlcc caps on the back just like the nitro+ but uses 70amp inductors versus the stock 50amp on the nitro+. The cooler on it is same as on the 4090 tuf and can handle 600w or even 700w no problem which is INSANE. Another crazy thing about it is that it has a header provided by asus for EVC2SE voltmod to get around signed vbios. Its vapor chamber is nickel plated which looks nicer imo and can be used with liquid metal but I would go with PTM7950 if you ever want to repaste it. The pcb looks a lot cleaner too and the shell is sheet metal. I also like the 5800x3d a lot more. I had a 5900x originally and I wasn't too happy with it and as soon as the 5800x3d came out I got it and I am very happy with it to this day. It pushes my 3080 to its limits in 99% of games and no stuttering and very stable fps(the 0.1% and 1% lows are really good). 

Here are some reference links to verify.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sapphire-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-nitro/36.html

https://www.pcgamer.com/asus-tuf-gaming-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-oc-edition/

19 hours ago, SwiftTeki said:

I like the asus tuf a bit more because I think it's a better card for a number of reasons and Im a asus fanboy as of recently after discovering my 3080 tuf hidden potential lol. The 7900xt/xtx runs slightly cooler and almost identical to the nitro+ in terms of performance in stock config. It uses mlcc caps on the back just like the nitro+ but uses 70amp inductors versus the stock 50amp on the nitro+. The cooler on it is same as on the 4090 tuf and can handle 600w or even 700w no problem which is INSANE. Another crazy thing about it is that it has a header provided by asus for EVC2SE voltmod to get around signed vbios. Its vapor chamber is nickel plated which looks nicer imo and can be used with liquid metal but I would go with PTM7950 if you ever want to repaste it. The pcb looks a lot cleaner too and the shell is sheet metal. I also like the 5800x3d a lot more. I had a 5900x originally and I wasn't too happy with it and as soon as the 5800x3d came out I got it and I am very happy with it to this day. It pushes my 3080 to its limits in 99% of games and no stuttering and very stable fps(the 0.1% and 1% lows are really good). 

Here are some reference links to verify.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sapphire-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-nitro/36.html

https://www.pcgamer.com/asus-tuf-gaming-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-oc-edition/

I'm leaning more towards the TUF from the start, as good as the Nitro+ performs since the TUF has a better build quality, better cooling (as some test show there's a 10C degree difference between the TUF and Nitro+ 7800XT which can make the difference between working hot and thermal throttling during summer) I feel it's a safer choice. Also I'm an Asus fan 😃 so unless the Nitro+ price drops by a lot I'll probably go for the TUF 

I thought about the 5800X3D, regular 5800X, 5950X and 5900X and for work the 5900X seems like the best choice since it's a lot cheaper than the 5950X while not performing nearly as less as it costs, but it also performs better where I need it than the 5800X3D (and 5800X) while being just 10 euros more at most. I also thought about a 7800X3D or 7900X/7950X but besides being more expensive since they're newer it would also cost me a lot (about 3-4 times more) to switch from AM4/DDR4 to AM5/DDR5 so it'll probably be when 9000 or 10000 (or whatever they number them) is out.