Is this Intel 14th Gen build okay?

Gessler555

Planning for a new build around the RTX 4080 (or rather, the upcoming Ti/Super version of it), I'm gonna be gaming at 2560x1440 with the highest possible RT settings in each game, especially RPGs. Also some video editing on the side. Not ruling out overclocking down the line.

Just let me know if you guys see any glaring error I made in my parts selections, or if you have any general advice to throw my way:

Intel Core i7-14700K

Asus ROG STRIX Z790-F Gaming WiFi II

Corsair iCUE LINK H150i 360mm AIO

Undecided on the RAM (any suggestions?) but I'm looking at 32GB (16x2) of either Corsair Dominator Platinum or Vengeance RGB in the 6200-7200 mt/s range. Don't care much for timings.

Corsair HX1000i ATX 3.0 PSU

Corsair 5000D Airflow case

The iCUE LINK fans (QX series IIRC) aren't in stock atm where I live so I'll switch to them later on, will make do with some regular old iCUE fans for now. We can use both the iCUE LINK hub and the old iCUE Commander hub simultaneously right? Won't create any issue with the iCUE software client?

Thread's open for ya'll, comment away.

Intel i7-4790k | MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8) 1866mhz RAM | Corsair H80i v1 AIO | Corsair RM850x PSU | Cooler Master HAF 912 case | Asus VZ27AQ 1440p 75hz monitor | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm HDD

The build as outlined strikes me as likely much more expensive than necessary. I'm not a fan of committing to a single vendor.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Build looks fine, the 14700k's extra E cores being worth it over the 13700k (especially if this new API they developed takes off that smartly uses E cores). I don't think any trimming would result in much, regarding part choices outside of any potential shortages of said specific part, so

I'd look at a kit of RAM with good speed and good timings, I'm not certain what that is right now, but I wouldn't sacrifice low+tight timings for the highest speed possible. Ryzen is more sensitive to that but should be the same case for Intel's 14th generation.

CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 7200 (PC5 57600) Desktop Memory Model CMH32GX5M2X7200C34 - Newegg.com

I haven't built/played with any high performance LGA1700 platforms yet (only non-K SKUs so far) but this kit seems to have really good timings for the speed and price.

• DDR5 7200 (PC5 57600)
  • Timing 34-44-44-96

Corsair's iCUE ecosystem is quite flexible, so I wouldn't expect any Corsair branded products to conflict massively with older generation parts.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

16 hours ago, brob said:

The build as outlined strikes me as likely much more expensive than necessary. I'm not a fan of committing to a single vendor.

I agree...I guess it's mostly because of the fact I've been using Corsair coolers & PSUs for years now and just never went wrong with them so there's a bit of brand loyalty overriding objectivity on my part I guess.

That and I'd rather have all the RGB stuff managed via as few clients as possible.

I typically aim to build the base system (CPU, Mobo, RAM) for at least a 5-6 year cycle so don't mind spending a bit more to get a slightly 'better' (for what it's worth these days) offering with slightly better components without stretching the budget too much.

Intel i7-4790k | MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8) 1866mhz RAM | Corsair H80i v1 AIO | Corsair RM850x PSU | Cooler Master HAF 912 case | Asus VZ27AQ 1440p 75hz monitor | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm HDD

i guess 16gb of ram should do for gaming alone but you are doing video editing as well so 32gb should be fine, i guess its better to go amd for gpu becuz their av1 encoder decoder is robust and it is way cheaper, you can get 7900xt or 7900xtx.

Pls Mark a solution as a solution, would be really helpful.

BTW pls correct me, iam really stoobid at times.