Does a Barebone ISO keyboard cover ISO-DE layout?

Hi there,

basically my question is, if I get a Barebone keyboard that's in ISO layout, do I get ISO-DE layout with the correct keycaps and language setting in Windows or is that basic ISO with just the large enter?

Kind of a dumb question but anyways...

Yes and no.

You will get the PCB and plate with the ISO layout, which is compatible with ISO-DE keycaps. However, barebones don't contain the keycaps nor switches, you will have to bring/buy your own.

Which layout is actually used depends on the settings in windows. You can set it as either ISO-DE, or ISO-UK, even ANSI. For example I use my ANSI keyboard in dual layout with US-ANSI and ISO-DE via a keyboard-shortcut, swapping the selected layout in Windows itself.

3 minutes ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

Yes and no.

You will get the PCB and plate with the ISO layout, which is compatible with ISO-DE keycaps. However, barebones don't contain the keycaps nor switches, you will have to bring/buy your own.

Which layout is actually used depends on the settings in windows. You can set it as either ISO-DE, or ISO-UK, even ANSI. For example I use my ANSI keyboard in dual layout with US-ANSI and ISO-DE via a keyboard-shortcut, swapping the selected layout in Windows itself.

ISO and ANSI are physical form factors of keyboards. The difference being the big enter key, the key next to (ISO)/above (ANSI) the enter key, and the key next to the left shift key. You can in theory use any software layout with either physical keyboard, but you might be missing keys or have keys without function. 

ISO-DE just means it is using the DE interpretation of the ISO form factor. ANSI-DE also exists, though less common. In software you set the layout, so -US, -UK, -DE etc... the first part is determined by the keyboard itself, ISO, ANSI or other form factor.

It's physical form factor. What you see when you see keyboards being certain layout and language is because of keycaps.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

Yes and no.

I do have a full set of Gateron Milky Yellow Pro and a full set of ISO-DE keycaps so it's basically just about the fact that the keyboard does what I press, if you know what I mean 😂. So if I get a standard ISO Barebone and set the language to German in Windows, everything will work as intended?

1 hour ago, Alvin853 said:

ISO and ANSI are physical form factors of keyboards. The difference being the big enter key, the key next to (ISO)/above (ANSI) the enter key, and the key next to the left shift key. You can in theory use any software layout with either physical keyboard, but you might be missing keys or have keys without function. 

ISO-DE just means it is using the DE interpretation of the ISO form factor. ANSI-DE also exists, though less common. In software you set the layout, so -US, -UK, -DE etc... the first part is determined by the keyboard itself, ISO, ANSI or other form factor.

See my reply to Garlic's answer, it should work right?

16 minutes ago, patrickgstir said:

So if I get a standard ISO Barebone and set the language to German in Windows, everything will work as intended?

Yes, that should work without issues.