Lost windows license after BIOS update.

Winterlight

I have Asus ROG X570 E motherboard and after latest  BIOS update for some unknown reason windows license deactivated and I can't anymore reactivate it even I have digital license linked to my Microsoft account. I got message that my hardware is changed and I need buy new license. Any idea how fix that ? Downgrade BIOS to older version won't help already try that. Btw in Microsoft account for some reason I see one PC as 2 seperate device.

This happened to me with a legitimate license I purchased through the MS store on my X670 rig. Two days and speaking to multiple people at Microsoft support, they issued me a new license. I updated the BIOS on that machine probably 13 times and only this last one reacted in this way. 

Good luck. I'm assuming the Activation troubleshooter is of no help? The normal way to fix this is run that, tell it your hardware changed when prompted and it usually works fine. It didn't for me. 

Ryzen 7 7800x3D -  Asus RTX4090 TUF OC- Asrock X670E Taichi - 32GB DDR5-6000CL30 - SuperFlower 1000W - Fractal Torrent - Assassin IV - 42" LG C2

Ryzen 7 5800x - XFX RX6600 - Asus STRIX B550i - 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 - Corsair SF750 - Lian Li O11 Mini - EK 360 AIO - Asus PG348Q

6 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

This happened to me with a legitimate license I purchased through the MS store on my X670 rig. Two days and speaking to multiple people at Microsoft support, they issued me a new license. I updated the BIOS on that machine probably 13 times and only this last one reacted in this way. 

Good luck. I'm assuming the Activation troubleshooter is of no help? The normal way to fix this is run that, tell it your hardware changed when prompted and it usually works fine. It didn't for me. 

Problem that Microsoft not offer phone call in my native langue and speak in english over phone call is to hard for me. I can't find that they offer live chat or email support. Btw I do to a lot time BIOS update and only last deactive windows. 

Is your license bound to a Microsoft account? In that case you should probably be able to transfer it, the same way you would for new hardware.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

4 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Is your license bound to a Microsoft account? In that case you should probably be able to transfer it, the same way you would for new hardware.

Man.. you'd certainly think so. The key I bought in my case was through the MS store on the PC I was trying to re-activate. None of the support reps could see this and I had to literally go through my own MS store transaction history to find the order #. What's worse of keys bought this way have no actual activation key to move around, none at all. 

I purchase my keys legit but I'm going to go through other official means so I can an actual key I can backup moving forward. 

Ryzen 7 7800x3D -  Asus RTX4090 TUF OC- Asrock X670E Taichi - 32GB DDR5-6000CL30 - SuperFlower 1000W - Fractal Torrent - Assassin IV - 42" LG C2

Ryzen 7 5800x - XFX RX6600 - Asus STRIX B550i - 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 - Corsair SF750 - Lian Li O11 Mini - EK 360 AIO - Asus PG348Q

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Man.. you'd certainly think so. The key I bought in my case was through the MS store on the PC I was trying to re-activate. None of the support reps could see this and I had to literally go through my own MS store transaction history to find the order #. What's worse of keys bought this way have no actual activation key to move around, none at all. 

I purchase my keys legit but I'm going to go through other official means so I can an actual key I can backup moving forward. 

It should work that way, the last time I had to activate it just presenting me a list of digital licenses to choose which one to use.  I guess its typical that Microsoft can't get this right consistently for all customers.

Ironically the problem I have is I no longer know which key refers to which digital license so have to rely on that working and make sure I give each one a name that makes sense so I can tell which is assigned to which PC.

What frustrates me is there is no way I can find to see which digital license is currently assigned to the PC I am using.  You'd think that a no brainer so you can change its name later if needed.  But no, you only get that list when you need to activate a PC.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

sorry to say this bud but the Linux users are laughing their butts off. In all seriousness, I've yet to find a Linux distro that needs a license. maybe you might be able to get Linux working

Contact MS support. Start the "Get Help" app.

It has been reported that MS is having activation server issues recently when people do BIOS updates, despite using a MS linked account.
Basically, it sees the system as a new one. It just needs to be corrected.