3D Printer replacement Neptune, P1P, or ?

crimraven

So I'm replacing a nearly 10 year old 3D printer (old MakerBot clone from when a heated bed was a luxury) and could use some opinions. Main goal is props and making an MPCNC. MPCNC is the inspiration to buy a new one as buying the parts my current one can't manage to print would cost as much as a new cheapo printer.

My contenders are the Bambu Labs P1P and Neptune 4 Plus.

Former is Core XY and 600 and the latter is a bed slinger and 350. Spec wise they seem very similar despite the big gap in cost. So Neptune was my first thought but the P1P looks good and would be easier on desk space. I feel I lack knowledge on modern features to fully understand the differences. Both seem so much faster and better than what I'm coming from but I want to invest in something good given how long I used the last one.

The build volume on the Neptune 4 Plus is quite a bit bigger, I think overall the P1P is better, but it really depends if you want the bigger build volume while saving some money, the Neptune 4/4 Pro and 3 Pro are also pretty good printers too. All have their own issues, so check reviews and look for things you might want to have or to avoid.

10 hours ago, KaitouX said:

The build volume on the Neptune 4 Plus is quite a bit bigger, I think overall the P1P is better, but it really depends if you want the bigger build volume while saving some money, the Neptune 4/4 Pro and 3 Pro are also pretty good printers too. All have their own issues, so check reviews and look for things you might want to have or to avoid.

Thank you. I think P1P is big enough. It was more the standard Neptune was smaller that had me looking at the Plus. I got tired of angling stuff or breaking up parts on my FlashForge which is half the size of either.

I've looked at reviews but it's so hard to tell. For one they are similarly capable but different classes of devices so they're not often compared. Bambu gave theirs a LAN mode recently that fixed its deal breaker cloud nonsense too. It becomes, does it's out of box hold up after a lot of use. Does the Neptune's v-wheel setup gunk up and wear down a few years later. Sadly the barrage of Ender 3s a few years ago shifted YouTube aways from real printer reviews, at least where I use to go.

It's such a tough call because if I push into P1P or maybe P1S for a door to reduce sound it's nearly twice the cost so if the Neptune wore out in a few years I could just get another one. Reviews weirdly criticize the bed slinger design but for years when Prusa was the maker farm king nobody seemed to mind. Wish there was just a collection of benchy photos to compare printers with.

Appreciate the help. I know should take my time but am desperate to sink my mind into a hobby.

2 hours ago, crimraven said:

Reviews weirdly criticize the bed slinger design but for years when Prusa was the maker farm king nobody seemed to mind.

Being a "reviewer" doesn't require any knowledge and most are influencer. I could go on a rant ... anyway.

Bed slinger are fine. The (real world) limitation I see with bedslinger is the machine size. With a fixed bed the 3D-printer can be smaller. 

If you want a mixing hotend the Tiertime Cetus 2 should be good. Major concern I have with it is the flat ribbon cables on the moving axis. If you want to print single color don't buy a mixing hotend!

If you can wait a few days/weeks. I would wait for the Artillery X4 plus.  First picture of the smaller brother the X4 pro:

https://www.artillery3d.com/a/gempages?version=v7&shop_id=474922923870651166&theme_page_id=478529968989537391

Personally I don't see any reason to buy a v-roller printer like the Neptune anymore. There are dozens of linear rail printer coming out.

People never go out of business.

2 hours ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

Being a "reviewer" doesn't require any knowledge and most are influencer. I could go on a rant ... anyway.

Bed slinger are fine. The (real world) limitation I see with bedslinger is the machine size. With a fixed bed the 3D-printer can be smaller. 

If you want a mixing hotend the Tiertime Cetus 2 should be good. Major concern I have with it is the flat ribbon cables on the moving axis. If you want to print single color don't buy a mixing hotend!

If you can wait a few days/weeks. I would wait for the Artillery X4 plus.  First picture of the smaller brother the X4 pro:

https://www.artillery3d.com/a/gempages?version=v7&shop_id=474922923870651166&theme_page_id=478529968989537391

Personally I don't see any reason to buy a v-roller printer like the Neptune anymore. There are dozens of linear rail printer coming out.

A challenger appears. That does look good. Weird I only find info up to the X2. Channel I use to watch for printing was run by an engineer who understood mechanics, but he doesn't seem to do a lot of printer reviews now. No interest in multicolor prints, I sand and paint. I feel either would work for me. But I also feel if I see the P1P or P1S go on sale I'll go full overkill now that is has a LAN option.

Meanwhile somebody shared the catalog:

https://forum.drucktipps3d.de/forum/thread/30341-artillery-sidewinder-x4/

It's printed in their catalog, was openly on display and talked about details like availability and pricing but somehow it's still not shared by them on the internet.

In a nutshell approx. $300-350, 300x300x300mm, Klipper, linear rail on x and y (v-roller for the z-axis). Haven't looked in detail at the hotend assembly (or forgot the details) so that's still unknown but I expect it to be identical to the X3 pro hotend. Overall I would recommend watching the X3 pro reviews and imagine it would have linear rails and a small drawer for accessories and other minor changes.

edit: if 250mm is large enough you might consider the pro.

The plus has 2 small linear rails while the pro has 1 large linear rail for the bed (approx. 40mm width)

People never go out of business.

2 hours ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

Meanwhile somebody shared the catalog:

https://forum.drucktipps3d.de/forum/thread/30341-artillery-sidewinder-x4/

It's printed in their catalog, was openly on display and talked about details like availability and pricing but somehow it's still not shared by them on the internet.

In a nutshell approx. $300-350, 300x300x300mm, Klipper, linear rail on x and y (v-roller for the z-axis). Haven't looked in detail at the hotend assembly (or forgot the details) so that's still unknown but I expect it to be identical to the X3 pro hotend. Overall I would recommend watching the X3 pro reviews and imagine it would have linear rails and a small drawer for accessories and other minor changes.

edit: if 250mm is large enough you might consider the pro.

The plus has 2 small linear rails while the pro has 1 large linear rail for the bed (approx. 40mm width)

That does look solid especially since it looks like moved away from that plastic top. Fewer points of bed leveling though unless I looked at the wrong specs. Nice thing is anything that doesn't fall apart or end up on fire is a super upgrade for me. Really just about best value and longevity after that. Looking like that is the split between more and less expensive brands too, good features on both but less maintenance if you shell out some money upfront. Or so I've been reading so far based on percentages of people looking for troubleshooting of different models.

On 11/13/2023 at 3:46 PM, crimraven said:

So I'm replacing a nearly 10 year old 3D printer (old MakerBot clone from when a heated bed was a luxury) and could use some opinions. Main goal is props and making an MPCNC. MPCNC is the inspiration to buy a new one as buying the parts my current one can't manage to print would cost as much as a new cheapo printer.

My contenders are the Bambu Labs P1P and Neptune 4 Plus.

Former is Core XY and 600 and the latter is a bed slinger and 350. Spec wise they seem very similar despite the big gap in cost. So Neptune was my first thought but the P1P looks good and would be easier on desk space. I feel I lack knowledge on modern features to fully understand the differences. Both seem so much faster and better than what I'm coming from but I want to invest in something good given how long I used the last one.

get an anycubic kobra 2 max. huge build volume. very nice. hasnt given up on me once

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!