Big Linux vs Manjaro?

What are the differences? I know Big is Manjaro based. I can not find any vs vids. on youtube.

MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC), AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

2 minutes ago, CosmicEmotion said:

I would avoid anything Manjaro. It tends to break, especially if you don't know how to use it.

I am on Manjaro now, no real issues yet. Just the screen randomly blacks out, not a lot. I like it is rolling, just not into downloading a new images every few years to reinstall. One vid. says it fixes some issues, but he doesn't say what. I stay away from the AUR also.

MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC), AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

37 minutes ago, Edward78 said:

I am on Manjaro now, no real issues yet. Just the screen randomly blacks out, not a lot. I like it is rolling, just not into downloading a new images every few years to reinstall. One vid. says it fixes some issues, but he doesn't say what. I stay away from the AUR also.

I mean if it works for you then nothing else to discuss. The AUR is the main reason to use something Arch-based. But you do VERY well not using it on Manjaro cause things WILL break on it.

Still, I would recommend looking into Tumbleweed SlowRoll or even Tumbleweed. Bleeding edge, stable and professionally made. Can't go wrong with it. :)

Asus Zephurs Duo 2023:

CPU: 7945HX

GPU: 4090M

14 minutes ago, CosmicEmotion said:

I mean if it works for you then nothing else to discuss. The AUR is the main reason to use something Arch-based. But you do VERY well not using it on Manjaro cause things WILL break on it.

Still, I would recommend looking into Tumbleweed SlowRoll or even Tumbleweed. Bleeding edge, stable and professionally made. Can't go wrong with it. 🙂

SuSE/OpenSuSE was my first distro 25ish years ago.

9 hours ago, CosmicEmotion said:

I would avoid anything Manjaro. It tends to break, especially if you don't know how to use it.

Let's be honest, Manjaro breaks even when you do know how to use it.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

On 11/11/2023 at 3:48 PM, Edward78 said:

no real issues yet. Just the screen randomly blacks out, not a lot

This is pretty funny to see right next to each other. 

I think most people would consider their system to be broken if the screen randomly blanked out on them. (I certainly would)

On 11/13/2023 at 5:44 PM, maplepants said:

This is pretty funny to see right next to each other. 

I think most people would consider their system to be broken if the screen randomly blanked out on them. (I certainly would)

It doesn'tgg happen that much, but I would like to find the cause. I heard on a vid. Manjaro is the most user friendly Arch distro. NixOS looks good, but looks like that 1 you need the terminal a lot,

22 hours ago, Edward78 said:

Manjaro is the most user friendly Arch distro.

This is a bit like bragging about being the world's tallest baby. It's something, but it's not much.

22 hours ago, Edward78 said:

NixOS looks good, but looks like that 1 you need the terminal a lot,

NixOS is super cool, but it just isn't solving a problem I have. If I were deploying a fleet of developer workstations, I'd be on NIxOS in a heartbeat. Since in that case the reproducibility would be amazing. 

But I've only got 3 Ubuntu desktop installs, and 4 servers to worry about. One of my servers is already more or less reproducible because it's a multipass VM that I build / destroy using scripts. The rest are all different from each other so Nix would just add overhead to my life without much benefit. 

At work we just use Docker to share environments, but we're doing web stuff so that's kind of what docker was made for. I could imagine if we were building Linux desktop stuff then we'd want to share our environments via something like Nix.