USB C CC lines not pulled down

soccermomisqueen

I am currently working on a circuit that uses USB C for 1.1 speeds, and I noticed that I needed 5.1k resistors on the CC1 and CC2 lines (reference below). I am wondering if it is a horrific thing to not have those resistors there (mainly to avoid having to hand solder it), or whether I should go through my "nerd box" and find a 5.1k resistor to stick on my PCB.

Source (Rd refers to the resistors on the receiving side (AKA my PCB), and the Rp is my computer):

https://community.infineon.com/t5/Knowledge-Base-Articles/Termination-Resistors-Required-for-the-USB-Type-C-Connector-KBA97180/ta-p/253544

UFP’s Rd value is fixed at 5.1 kΩ. The following table provides the values used for the DFP’s Rp based on the current sourcing capability of the Type-C port and the voltage that is connected to the Rp.

2 hours ago, soccermomisqueen said:

I am currently working on a circuit that uses USB C for 1.1 speeds, and I noticed that I needed 5.1k resistors on the CC1 and CC2 lines (reference below). I am wondering if it is a horrific thing to not have those resistors there (mainly to avoid having to hand solder it), or whether I should go through my "nerd box" and find a 5.1k resistor to stick on my PCB.

Source (Rd refers to the resistors on the receiving side (AKA my PCB), and the Rp is my computer):

https://community.infineon.com/t5/Knowledge-Base-Articles/Termination-Resistors-Required-for-the-USB-Type-C-Connector-KBA97180/ta-p/253544

Nothing will break, but data transfer might not work at all or be unreliable or just work with certain cables etc... In short: Termination resistors are there for a reason. If you don`t have 5.1K resistors on hand, the next higher value you have will be a lot better than none at all.

20 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

Nothing will break, but data transfer might not work at all or be unreliable or just work with certain cables etc... In short: Termination resistors are there for a reason. If you don`t have 5.1K resistors on hand, the next higher value you have will be a lot better than none at all.

I figured as much, but was hoping that there would be some way that I could get around it (especially since the board is in development right now, and I would just fix it for the production version).

I guess now I have an excuse to go visit my local radioshack-like shop XD

USB-C to USB-A cable? It will work.

USB-C to USB-C cable? Depends. Could work. Could fail.

People never go out of business.