switch to Linux distro...

Go to solution Solved by corrado33,
3 minutes ago, thevictor390 said:

You'll probably be fixing Linux just as often.

More often. 100% more often. 

And that's assuming he ever gets it installed and booted to a GUI. 

And you're right. If you're having to reinstall windows 10 every few months, then you're doing something wrong and/or you need to stop downloading sketchy hentai games. 

1 hour ago, Killjoy_NS said:

Well, I have encountered first problem.
I will try to redirect folders such as "Music, Videos, Downloads etc." to a hard drive (NTFS), drive created through Windows.

Also, qBittorrent does not allow me to save downloaded files to another drive except HOME or Computer (where you can browse between Music, Video, Downloads in HOME) also.

So...this is like "mediocre" function in Windows...why can't I do it in Mint?

P.S. Please, don't tell me that I have to format all HDDs to ext4 or something like that...
Cause I have 3TB HDD which is almost full and 1TB HDD which is half full.

Does the OS recognize the hard drives properly? Can you mount them? If not search for the

ntfs-3g

package for Mint/Ubuntu. qBitTorrent should be able to save anywhere.

The main limitation of Linux is that you can't install programs outside of your main hard drive. Beyond that you should be able to do everything. 🙂

Asus Zephurs Duo 2023:

CPU: 7945HX

GPU: 4090M

3 hours ago, Killjoy_NS said:

I will try to redirect folders such as "Music, Videos, Downloads etc." to a hard drive (NTFS), drive created through Windows.

Also, qBittorrent does not allow me to save downloaded files to another drive except HOME or Computer (where you can browse between Music, Video, Downloads in HOME) also.

So...this is like "mediocre" function in Windows...why can't I do it in Mint?

P.S. Please, don't tell me that I have to format all HDDs to ext4 or something like that...
Cause I have 3TB HDD which is almost full and 1TB HDD which is half full.

As guy above just said (and like I said in my posts) you'll need to install ntfs-3g to properly utilize NTFS formatted drives. It can be installed simply with "sudo apt install ntfs-3g"

QBitTorrent and any download software for that matter can be downloaded to wherever you specify.

Redirecting home folders however isn't a simple matter, but it's really not a big deal at all. There's nothing stopping you from just pinning the locations of folders on the side bar of the file manager, and then clicking on them whenever you want to save a file to them.

Last year I used Linux (EndeavourOS) exclusively for like 6 months, and aside from the boot drive all my other drives (around 3 or 4) were formatted to work on Windows, and I never once had any problem with using them, assuming ntfs-3g was installed. I know sometimes when switching from Windows to Linux, certain issues can arise with ntfs drives, but those I've always been able to resolve by using the ntfsfix command.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

12 hours ago, Inception9269 said:

Not entirely sure if that's the case.

Phoronix wrote an article about Paragon releasing a higher quality ntfs driver since 5.15, but soon after release, there were only a few minor improvementd developed that were not yet released.  That was in september 2021, but it is again seeing development work.

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Linux-6.5-NTFS

5 hours ago, Killjoy_NS said:

This can be done through "symbolic links".  I used this in Windows 7 heavily when I realized years after its release that I could do so.  Instead of screwing with symbolic links, I suggest dragging all pre-existing folders to the small sidebar on the left of your file manager.  It's not as integrated but it is a very quick solution.

For trying symbolic links:

https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/linking-linux-explained

5 hours ago, Killjoy_NS said:

You'll have the same issue with steam not allowing you to access your windows games folder directory because:

8 hours ago, Killjoy_NS said:

I didn't turn on Terminal not even once.

That's why.

Linux has some very commandline focused areas, and text files will probably forever, be the way you are always able to modify your system.  Maybe more gui programs will come along to make things easier, but so far developers haven't done so for the filesystem table file.

In Cinnamon desktop, using the Nemo file manager, you can use the menu to "open as root" which means open as the system admin.

Once you do that, you can browse to

/ etc / fstab

The file does not have an extension like .txt.

What you need to put in this file is explained in the video that was linked by 9269.  I have also tried to help explain this by posting a link to a redhat (slightly different than Linux Mint, but most of the comnands are the same) article who also recognize how achaic this must seem to Windows and Mac users.

Once you have the needed information in your filesystem table file, definitely do

sudo systemctl daemon-reload

Then reboot.

___

I also want to mention redshift.  I am not sure if Cinnamon desktop has the Gnone Night Light, or KDE night color, or the Windows night light color temperature adjustment software.

It would be nice to be able to know you could just add it from Gnome desktop, but I have no idea how to do that.  So instead, install

Redshift and (if it works) redshift-gui

It will need to be added as a startup program and use the command:

redshift -l lat:lon -t 6500:3200

6500 is no change, and 3200 is just a light yellow / gold shade, and I recommend using a dark theme at night.

It is based on the work of

https://justgetflux.com

And is finally getting indirect recognition of its importance.  F.lux was released in 2008, so it took nearly 7 years after its launch for apple to incorporate it into their software.

Apple even called the f.lux developers and their program was ripped off, and no large company has given them the acknowledgement of the great work they have done, and just rip off their work, with no credit.

I just find that rude.

A software from 2008, and it is as it never existed, and everyone just "magically" thought of it themselves.

Apple did use D50, 5000K color temperature on their computers for a long time though, so they probably had a little bit of a head start on how to make that change.  But to call the f.lux developers and give zero credit.  That's how business works I guess.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

7 hours ago, CosmicEmotion said:

Does the OS recognize the hard drives properly? Can you mount them? If not search for the

ntfs-3g

package for Mint/Ubuntu. qBitTorrent should be able to save anywhere.

The main limitation of Linux is that you can't install programs outside of your main hard drive. Beyond that you should be able to do everything. 🙂

All drives are mounted. I only have option to "unmount" them.

As for ntfs-3g....take a look at the picture.
It doesn't look like I have to do anything..."looks like"... 😄

As for qBit....it allows me to save only to HOME or one of folders created by system: Pictures, Videos....etc.
It doesn't let me to choose one of my hard drives.

Screenshot from 2023-11-11 20-28-08.png

Screenshot from 2023-11-11 20-31-17.png

I heard that coffee's good for my sex life.

It isn't.

It kept me awake through the whole damn thing!

I actually had to participate.

- Jeff Dunham -

1 minute ago, Killjoy_NS said:

All drives are mounted. I only have option to "unmount" them.

As for ntfs-3g....take a look at the picture.
It doesn't look like I have to do anything..."looks like"... 😄

Screenshot from 2023-11-11 20-28-08.png

Screenshot from 2023-11-11 20-31-17.png

Interesting. What error does qBitTorrent give? Is it a Flatpak?

Asus Zephurs Duo 2023:

2 minutes ago, CosmicEmotion said:

Interesting. What error does qBitTorrent give? Is it a Flatpak?

Nope. It doesn't give me an error.
Everything works fine except it doesn't let me to choose "save downloaded files" directory (HDD) only HOME.

3.png

4.png

It isn't.

- Jeff Dunham -

Nope.

3.png

That's so peculiar then. What's the error it's giving you?

Asus Zephurs Duo 2023:

1 minute ago, CosmicEmotion said:

That's so peculiar then. What's the error it's giving you?

I want to "redirect" downloads to my HDD which contains "Torrent Downloads" folder.
Also....on Windows, I have all folders (Music, Video etc.) created on HDD, NOT boot drive.
So when I choose "MUSIC" from This PC it jumps to my HDD folder, not MUSIC created by Windows on "C" partition.

I want to do the same thing here, except....I don't see any options regarded my intentions.

It isn't.

- Jeff Dunham -

I want to "redirect" downloads to my HDD which contains "Torrent Downloads" folder.
Also....on Windows, I have all folders (Music, Video etc.) created on HDD, NOT boot drive.
So when I choose "MUSIC" from This PC it jumps to my HDD folder, not MUSIC created by Windows on "C" partition.

I want to do the same thing here, except....I don't see any options regarded my intentions.

Ohhhh you want to symlink the folders of your HDD to Mint's default folders. Yeah I don't know if Mint has a GUI option for it and I'm not sure it works with folders but try this in a terminal:

ln -s /mnt/<MY HDD NAME or UUID>/Music ~/Music
or
ln -s /run/media/<MY USERNAME>/<MY HDD NAME or UUID>/Music ~/Music

Asus Zephurs Duo 2023:

9 minutes ago, CosmicEmotion said:

Ohhhh you want to symlink the folders of your HDD to Mint's default folders. Yeah I don't know if Mint has a GUI option for it and I'm not sure it works with folders but try this in a terminal:

ln -s /mnt/<MY HDD NAME or UUID>/Music ~/Music
or
ln -s /run/media/<MY USERNAME>/<MY HDD NAME or UUID>/Music ~/Music

EXACTLY. Well, I probably type something wrong.
Cause it is not working.
It says that "the link to the Pictures (I've done it for different folder) IS BROKEN.
So I messed something up... 😄

It isn't.

- Jeff Dunham -

EXACTLY. Well, I probably type something wrong.
Cause it is not working.
It says that "the link to the Pictures (I've done it for different folder) IS BROKEN.
So I messed something up... 😄

Can you post the exact message it's giving you? You can copy from terminal with Ctrl+Shift+C.

Asus Zephurs Duo 2023:

3 minutes ago, CosmicEmotion said:

Can you post the exact message it's giving you? You can copy from terminal with Ctrl+Shift+C.

6.png

It isn't.

- Jeff Dunham -

I guess THAT is the name of my HDD...

7.png

It isn't.

- Jeff Dunham -

Ok delete your Pictures folder from your home folder. It should work then. If not you can always recreate the folder.

Asus Zephurs Duo 2023:

Actually dlete the Picture folder from your Home folder and type this:

ln -s /media/killjoy/<UUID NUMBE HERE>/Picture ~/

Asus Zephurs Duo 2023:

31 minutes ago, CosmicEmotion said:

Ok delete your Pictures folder from your home folder. It should work then. If not you can always recreate the folder.

It doesn't.....but I make it differently.
I jumped on my HDD, create a LINK of the desired folder and drag and drop bellow My Computer and HOME folder. I "deleted" original ones.

So, in my HOME folder are actually LINKS to folders I want to have when i open My Computer.

It isn't.

- Jeff Dunham -

27 minutes ago, CosmicEmotion said:

Actually dlete the Picture folder from your Home folder and type this:

ln -s /media/killjoy/<UUID NUMBE HERE>/Picture ~/

Thank you for your help and patience btw.

It isn't.

- Jeff Dunham -

Noice! 🙂 I'm glad you figured it out! Does i work?

Asus Zephurs Duo 2023:

1 minute ago, CosmicEmotion said:

Yeah, it works.
Even in qBit I set default location...and in HOME it shows me "Torrent Downloads" LINK which redirects to my HDD where actual folder is located.
That is all I need.
Same thing goes for Firefox.
Default location was home/downloads....and I just set "Link to Downloads" and it did the same thing as for qBit.

Thanks a lot man for your help.
I can make a recording of desktop if u like...just recommend something for recording. 😄

It isn't.

- Jeff Dunham -

15 minutes ago, CosmicEmotion said:

Well.....and to find equivalent programs for those on Windows and I "won the war". 😄

It isn't.

- Jeff Dunham -

18 minutes ago, Killjoy_NS said:

just recommend something for recording. 😄

I typically use SimpleScreenRecorder:
https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/simplescreenrecorder
Gets most stuff done for me quickly.

Sometimes I use OBS:
https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/obs-studio

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

8 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

I typically use SimpleScreenRecorder:
https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/simplescreenrecorder
Gets most stuff done for me quickly.

Sometimes I use OBS:
https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/obs-studio

Nice one bro. Thanks.

It isn't.

- Jeff Dunham -

Honestly this all plays more so into dislike of Mint, and just about all distros based on Ubuntu.

I don't know what it is about Mint, but it's honestly been real hit or miss with me. I've messed around with Linux back in '15 or '16 (with Mint and Ubuntu being the two I played with then), but the beginning of 2022 was when I finally set out to learn how to use it. Mint was one of the first distros I tried out at that time, and for whatever reason I could not get it to work right. I use my PC for gaming (with Nvidia gpu), and for whatever reason Mint wouldn't detect my video card even after I manually downloaded and installed the Nvidia drivers. Also whenever I was able to get things working (I think a reinstall of Mint fixed the gpu problem), no matter what I tried I could not get Steam games to run. Editing the fstab folder like in that video guide I linked for whatever reason broke my Mint install.

When I switched to other Ubuntu based distros such as PopOS or even Ubuntu itself I was able to get things to work just fine (though ran into other issues that really left a bad taste in my mouth).

Since then I've only ever ran Mint on a basic non-gaming laptop of mine (that uses Intel hardware). On that laptop I've played around with quite a few distros, with me consistently hopping around to try out new ones. Not too long ago I installed Mint on that laptop once more, the only things extra I installed on it was Wine & winetricks, a PDF editor, and an SNES emulator. I pretty much only used that laptop as a web browser during the time Mint was installed on it. During that time I only used that PC a couple of times, with me not doing anything with the terminal at all aside from updating the system.

There was one time when I was at a friend of mines house, and I was on that laptop and decided to check for updates, but I got some error message about how none of the repositories could be found, reached, or something along those lines. I tried the update command again, but still it wouldn't let me download or install any updates. I passed it off as possibly the internet being really bad there (which it was). But about a week or so later when I was home I decided to break out my laptop and try updating it, and got the same error. I then opened the Software Manager and the driver manager, with that displaying a list of updates. When I tried updating the system with the GUI only half of them would go through with the other half failing. For whatever reason even the flathub repository wasn't working right. I remember rebooting the laptop, to see if that would allow me to go through with updating the system, and that's when I ended up on a black screen with the command line present, similar to GRUB recovery mode, but literally no command would work.

So basically I had an install of Mint that I hardly even did anything on legit kill itself just by trying to download and install updates on it. I switched that machine over to MX Linux, and have had no trouble since. I've never liked Ubuntu (which has been a buggy broken mess nearly every time I've ever used it or attempted to use it), and with what happened to that install of Mint, I have sworn off Ubuntu based distros entirely. So for me, I'll always go with something based on Debian, Fedora, or Arch. Hell, I've had better luck with Arch linux than I have with Ubuntu and those based on it. Even one time when I went 4 months without updating an Arch partition, and was able to update it with no problems, the system working just fine after.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿