Best EQ settings for podcast-like mic quality

yn404

Yesterday with the help of @Ramamataz聽 managed to eq my mic and headphones at the same time.

Today I started to wonder, what are the best settings (EQ and so own) for the microphone to get good sound out of it?

Would appreciate any help and a good advice 馃槢

I was thinking of getting podcast-like quality (as strange as it may sounds)

16 minutes ago, da na said:

Need more details. What microphone? Using EQ software or hardware?

Oh, pardon me. Today was rough...

I'm using AKG Lyra and Equalizer APO as my EQ software

21 minutes ago, yn404 said:

Oh, pardon me. Today was rough...

I'm using AKG Lyra and Equalizer APO as my EQ software

Nice.聽

Generally a vocal EQ curve should look a little like this. Rolloff between the 500-1k range, big rolloff in the <50hz are the most important.

What does your EQ curve look like for an SM7b? : r/podcasting

2 hours ago, yn404 said:

Yesterday with the help of @Ramamataz聽 managed to eq my mic and headphones at the same time.

Today I started to wonder, what are the best settings (EQ and so own) for the microphone to get good sound out of it?

hello there good sir. I would also look at the filters for the microphones within APO. a high pass filter is generally a good one to utilize I think, IRCC it basically makes sure that nothing below X threshold gets sent over the mic. So this means ambient noise, fans, or typing isn't picked up. Though you'll have to test it out.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

4 hours ago, yn404 said:

It will be impossible to give you settings. There are so many variables that will depend on your individual setup. Room, your voice, etc. The settings that work for one person will not be the same as what works for you. Trial and error is your friend here.

Touching on @blue4130's comment... it'll vary by room, microphone and person

As stated before there IS some value in rolling off the frequency below 50Hz, though I usually heard 80-200Hz or so as the roll off.聽
The male voice typically covers ~100Hz-8000Hz or so. A roll off after 8KHz is also a viable choice. If you have females to contend to, then skip rolling off on the high end. There's generally little value in having the mic pick up things outside of the human vocal range, especially low frequencies (basically wind or things THUDDING on a table)

I've also fiddled around with RNNoise and RTXVoice. Both are solid add ons as well.聽

If you're using OBS, there's plenty of guides on it.聽

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800