How to Replace a System and Primary Partition.

Daymin
Go to solution Solved by Daymin,

Solution:

• Copied the partition sector by sector with DiskGenius. (You need to create a new partition with the exact same sector amount as the one to be copied)
  • Ran "bcdboot C:\Windows /s C:" in cmd/powershell
  • Power down PC
  • Remove OLD SSD
  • Reboot
  • Done

I got a new m.2 SSD and therefore want to remove my old SATA SSD.
The problem is that the SATA SSD is the System Partition and a Primary Partition.
The SATA SSD isn't my boot drive as this is another m.2 SSD.

All tutorials I could find where for the case if you want to reinstall Windows, which isn't my goal.

How do I remove the SATA SSD without creating any trouble for Windows?
I have attached an image of the Windows disk management tool, my OS is in German but it should still be understandable.
I want to remove the volume called "HDD". "BOOT" is the boot drive.

Screenshot 2023-11-07 173141.png

Just now, Daymin said:

I got a new m.2 SSD and therefore want to remove my old SATA SSD.
The problem is that the SATA SSD is the System Partition and a Primary Partition.
The SATA SSD isn't my boot drive as this is another m.2 SSD.

All tutorials I could find where for the case if you want to reinstall Windows, which isn't my goal.

How do I remove the SATA SSD without creating any trouble for Windows?
I have attached an image of the Windows disk management tool, my OS is in German but it should still be understandable.
I want to remove the volume called "HDD". "BOOT" is the boot drive.

Screenshot 2023-11-07 173141.png

Get a "cloning" software, I use AOMEI but that but it requires a license (maybe not needed for a few days ?, some others free also exist)

So well then make a full "clone" of your old drive to the new, then if the new is bigger extend the "users"  partition(s) as you want

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

16 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Get a "cloning" software, I use AOMEI but that but it requires a license (maybe not needed for a few days ?, some others free also exist)

So well then make a full "clone" of your old drive to the new, then if the new is bigger extend the "users"  partition(s) as you want

In AOMEI do I need to make a system, disk or partition clone? (System needs a licences the other two are free)

2 minutes ago, Daymin said:

In AOMEI do I need to make a system, disk or partition clone? (System needs a licences the other two are free)

Full Disk clone

Alsi  use the second  (don't recall its name, "sector by sector" ?) cloning method,  the first faster one won't work  with boot drives

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

51 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Full Disk clone

Alsi  use the second  (don't recall its name, "sector by sector" ?) cloning method,  the first faster one won't work  with boot drives

OK AOMEI only pops up the license window every time I try to start the cloning even though it is supposed to be a free feature.
Currently using DiskGenius to make the clone.

Once the cloning is finished can I simply turn off my PC, unplug the SATA SSD and everything works?

EDIT: the clone is done but it didn't clone the attribute of being a System Partition only all it'S contents.

11 minutes ago, Daymin said:

OK AOMEI only pops up the license window every time I try to start the cloning even though it is supposed to be a free feature.
Currently using DiskGenius to make the clone.

Once the cloning is finished can I simply turn off my PC, unplug the SATA SSD and everything works?

EDIT: the clone is done but it didn't clone the attribute of being a System Partition only all it'S contents.

Huh thought  you wanted  to replace  your boot drive !

If not a simple partition clone could have to the  trick

Solution:

• Copied the partition sector by sector with DiskGenius. (You need to create a new partition with the exact same sector amount as the one to be copied)
  • Ran "bcdboot C:\Windows /s C:" in cmd/powershell
  • Power down PC
  • Remove OLD SSD
  • Reboot
  • Done