upgrade of pc

so friend of mine wanna upgrade his pc

he has a Asrock X570 Phantom GAMING 4 (90-MXBAU0-A0UAYZ) motherboard, 
a ryzen 3600 cpu, and a 3060 graphic card and 16 gb of ram 

what would be best for him to upgrade first and with what?

personally i would say the graphic card then the cpu but would like graphic card to something like 3080 or 4070 if not a amd card not to well versed in the amd graphic card so not sure what would be good there and then upgrade the cpu maybe the motherboard if needed to something im not sure 

budget is kinda whatever and its purely for gaming
 its a wide mix of games some of them is total war warhammer 3, cyberpunk, warframe and baldur's gate 3 so a mix of games 

but i would like to hear people's opinion on what to upgrade first 

IMO, it depends on the type of game, budget and resolution that he plays

If he play solely on eSport game, upgrading CPU will have significant effect especially if he only plays at 1080p

GPU upgrade will help as well, but not as significant for 1080p eSport

15 minutes ago, shadowss said:

something like 3080 or 4070 if not a amd card not to well versed in the amd graphic card

If he plays on 1440p, especially on AAA games, either RX 7800 or RTX 4070 would be a good choice

As for CPU, since he's on AM4 platform, the best CPU for this platform is definitely 5800X3D

Unless he wants an overhaul to the AM5 or Intel platform, I think your friend doesn't need to change his motherboard

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

What about the Power Supply. If you are doing upgrades, consider a quality Power Supply Unit with good Wattage....

Intel Core i9 10920x CPU; ASUS ROG Strix x299-E Gaming II Motherboard; 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 MHz Quad Channel Kit; EVGA RTX 2070 Gaming 8 GB; 2 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD & 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD; 1 TB WD Blue SATA SSD; 2x 6 TB HGST DeskStar NAS Hard Drives; Corsair Hydro H150i RGB PRO XT All In One Cooler; Corsair RM1000i 1000 Watt PSU; Corsair Commander Pro Lighting & Fan control; 4x Corsair HD120 RGB 120 mm fans - Intake ; Lian Li 011-Dynamic Razer Edition cube case, Windows 11 Pro 23H2

1 minute ago, BlackDragon1971 said:

What about the Power Supply. If you are doing upgrades, consider a quality Power Supply Unit with good Wattage....

he already a good one he have a 850 watt corsair power supply 

2 minutes ago, ImWilly said:

IMO, it depends on the type of game, budget and resolution that he plays

If he play solely on eSport game, upgrading CPU will have significant effect especially if he only plays at 1080p

GPU upgrade will help as well, but not as significant for 1080p eSport

If he plays on 1440p, especially on AAA games, either RX 7800 or RTX 4070 would be a good choice

As for CPU, since he's on AM4 platform, the best CPU for this platform is definitely 5800X3D

Unless he wants an overhaul to the AM5 or Intel platform, I think your friend doesn't need to change his motherboard

good you mentioned 1440p he purely play 1080p and i updated the post with some of the games he play to also say it here its total war warhammer 3, cyberpunk, warframe and baldur's gate 3 so a mix of games

1 minute ago, shadowss said:

he already a good one he have a 850 watt corsair power supply 

Corsair can be really good units. 850 Watt is a good range for most builds. I use the RMi Series in my main rig. Have been known to use the CX-M Series in budget builds.

Intel Core i9 10920x CPU; ASUS ROG Strix x299-E Gaming II Motherboard; 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 MHz Quad Channel Kit; EVGA RTX 2070 Gaming 8 GB; 2 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD & 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD; 1 TB WD Blue SATA SSD; 2x 6 TB HGST DeskStar NAS Hard Drives; Corsair Hydro H150i RGB PRO XT All In One Cooler; Corsair RM1000i 1000 Watt PSU; Corsair Commander Pro Lighting & Fan control; 4x Corsair HD120 RGB 120 mm fans - Intake ; Lian Li 011-Dynamic Razer Edition cube case, Windows 11 Pro 23H2

Just now, BlackDragon1971 said:

Corsair can be really good units. 850 Watt is a good range for most builds. I use the RMi Series in my main rig. Have been known to use the CX-M Series in budget builds.

yea cant remember from the top of my head which he has but if i remember right its close to mine or the same and mine is a corsair rm850 cant ask him cause hes asleep now 

3 minutes ago, shadowss said:

good you mentioned 1440p he purely play 1080p and i updated the post with some of the games he play to also say it here its total war warhammer 3, cyberpunk, warframe and baldur's gate 3 so a mix of games

I see, since he plays on AAA games on 1080p, a healthy mix of CPU and GPU would suffice, but I would lean towards upgrading GPU first, such as RTX 4060 TI or RX 7700 or RX 7800 XT for upscaling (either DLSS or FSR, but DLSS is probably more favourable especially in Cyberpunk)

Then if he has some leftover budget of $350, he could upgrade CPU to 5800X3D for a bit boost of FPS and huge increase of 1% low FPS

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

1 minute ago, ImWilly said:

I see, since he plays on AAA games on 1080p, a healthy mix of CPU and GPU would suffice, but I would lean towards upgrading GPU first, such as RTX 4060 TI or RX 7700 or RX 7800 XT for upscaling (either DLSS or FSR, but DLSS is probably more favourable especially in Cyberpunk)

Then if he has some leftover budget of $350, he could upgrade CPU to 5800X3D for a bit boost of FPS and huge increase of 1% low FPS

he should have more than enough money for that considering he has 1500 dollars each month he can spend on it 

4 minutes ago, shadowss said:

he should have more than enough money for that considering he has 1500 dollars each month he can spend on it 

LOL, that is enough money to even make a good new built

But in spirit for parts upgrading, I would say upgrade CPU to 5800X3D and GPU RTX 4070

That should be more than enough for 1080p Ultra setting (and Ray Tracing as additional spice)

Phone:

13 minutes ago, ImWilly said:

LOL, that is enough money to even make a good new built

But in spirit for parts upgrading, I would say upgrade CPU to 5800X3D and GPU RTX 4070

That should be more than enough for 1080p Ultra setting (and Ray Tracing as additional spice)

yea but thx for the advice and suggestion always nice to also hear what other people would choose