PC freezing when using Furmark to stress test

calvinps02

Hi, so I buy and sell a lot of graphics cards as a side hustle. One thing I do with each card is run furmark  stress test for a while to make sure temps are good. This one Powercolor red devil 5600xt is acting weird. Furmark goes randomly from running an expected fps to chopping and eventually freezing (the entire pc) for several seconds and then going back to normal after 10-20 seconds. Well, you would assume it was due to bad temps so i re pasted the card as the hotspot was pretty warm at 95c. Well, the card is much cooler now but this is still happening, never seen anything like it. Card is 68c, hotspot mid 70's (would be more like low 80's but the card keeps freezing so the temp lowers). Memory is a bit warm at up to 90 but could that be causing this? The rest of the pc is idle, cpu ram storage all doing nothing. So what's up if its not temperature? Attached is a pic of the furmark graph.

I also just ran 3dmark timespy and the card only scored 5401, should be over 7000. Yet it didn't over heat. What's wrong with this thing?

image.png

I'd say bad power delivery, did you check the wattage ?

Else ask NorthWestRepair lol 😛 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

What frequency is it running at during 3DMark Timespy? What about Unigine Superposition?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

54 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

I'd say bad power delivery, did you check the wattage ?

Else ask NorthWestRepair lol 😛 

Average like 180 watts or whatever the rated is, but during the stutter sessions would drop to around 70w. PSU is an rm750x and I test so many cards that I think I can rule out anything besides the card itself

31 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What frequency is it running at during 3DMark Timespy? What about Unigine Superposition?

Averaged almost 1700mhz but I noticed in hwmonitor it would sneakily go down to 100-300mhz for maybe a second then go back to normal

14 minutes ago, calvinps02 said:

Averaged almost 1700mhz but I noticed in hwmonitor it would sneakily go down to 100-300mhz for maybe a second then go back to normal

Did the drop in frequency correspond to any other values, like temperature or power?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

12 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Did the drop in frequency correspond to any other values, like temperature or power?

The drop in frequency would only last a split second every few seconds but all while it was stuttering (50%) of the time it would be at 70 watts and it would cool down due to that

9 hours ago, calvinps02 said:

The drop in frequency would only last a split second every few seconds but all while it was stuttering (50%) of the time it would be at 70 watts and it would cool down due to that

So it's card power delivery, needs a repair

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

3 hours ago, PDifolco said:

So it's card power delivery, needs a repair

How do you even fix that

4 minutes ago, calvinps02 said:

How do you even fix that

it's electronics repair, there are repair shops

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

it's electronics repair, there are repair shops

I meant how do I fix it myself. No shop near me is going to do that